Model Cars Magazine Forum

427 cobra

Brudda

Hello Chris, well I’m going to use the mag. The distributer they give you needs special attention on the spark plug boots. They just do not look right to me.  So the mag is a better choice. I’m going to put spark plugs in and then wire it. I sent you pics of  the first try and it just did not look right so it all came out. Repainted the red on the mag . Next rewire it. 

My highest compliments on your build - truly impressive work all around and especially the paint work.  I am in the process of building the same kit right now, but I am not at your skill level by any means!  Nonetheless, this is my second MFH kit (first was a 1/24 scale Ferrari F1 race car).  I am a bit farther along on the engine and chassis, but I am still painting the body, hood, trunklid and doors.  I went with Ford blue with cream colored racing stripes - this is the same color scheme for the Factory Five kit I build a few years ago.  I am about to apply the first coats of clear on the body.  The hood and trunklid have their first coats of clear and are awaiting sanding.  The doors are done.  I included a couple of pics.  I decided to forego the rivets as I am trying to build this to resemble my finished Factory Five car.  Please excuse the poor picture quality.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions if you don't mind.  How did you polish the edges of the wheels?  Did you polish the windshield frame?  It is so flimsy, I'm nervous about touching it too much.  What brand/type of primer did you use?  As I said, your skill level is substantially higher than mine, but I will offer a couple of suggestions... Be real careful drilling the holes for the suspension components - not much meat there.  There are several places where those smaller (1.4mm) black screws only get one or two threads turned in and they strip the hole easily.  I had to dig through my parts bags and find some screws that were just a bit longer.  When carpeting, I had to apply a very, very thin layer of CA glue with a brush before applying so they don't peel up.  

20200923_092936.jpg

20200923_093112.jpg

12 hours ago, nazdrave said:

My highest compliments on your build - truly impressive work all around and especially the paint work.  I am in the process of building the same kit right now, but I am not at your skill level by any means!  Nonetheless, this is my second MFH kit (first was a 1/24 scale Ferrari F1 race car).  I am a bit farther along on the engine and chassis, but I am still painting the body, hood, trunklid and doors.  I went with Ford blue with cream colored racing stripes - this is the same color scheme for the Factory Five kit I build a few years ago.  I am about to apply the first coats of clear on the body.  The hood and trunklid have their first coats of clear and are awaiting sanding.  The doors are done.  I included a couple of pics.  I decided to forego the rivets as I am trying to build this to resemble my finished Factory Five car.  Please excuse the poor picture quality.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions if you don't mind.  How did you polish the edges of the wheels?  Did you polish the windshield frame?  It is so flimsy, I'm nervous about touching it too much.  What brand/type of primer did you use?  As I said, your skill level is substantially higher than mine, but I will offer a couple of suggestions... Be real careful drilling the holes for the suspension components - not much meat there.  There are several places where those smaller (1.4mm) black screws only get one or two threads turned in and they strip the hole easily.  I had to dig through my parts bags and find some screws that were just a bit longer.  When carpeting, I had to apply a very, very thin layer of CA glue with a brush before applying so they don't peel up.  

20200923_092936.jpg

20200923_093112.jpg

Thank you nazdrave , your too kind. Your paint is great. Well I painted the wheels black then sanded them with 600 grit then 800 . Next 2000 grit then polish which I have not done yet. The windshield frame is going to be a very big challenge. I sanded it with 600 grit then 800 grit. Like the wheels I will next sand it with 2000 grit then polish I hope. It is very very fragile! The other hard part is drilling the holes for the side window vents. This will take a very long time. Yes I’m worried a little. Also thank you for the advice on the chassis. Any information on a model factory hiro kit is greatly appreciated. Please post your build,  These are hard kits and any ideas or techniques are welcomed. I really like this kit and love to build it. Always learning on these kits. This is also my second mfh kit. Here is a pic of my first. Thank you for the great comments. P. S. I also have a pic for the primer. 

59929735-43B7-4C7A-9CF9-068E4A46B192.jpeg

1F6E7BD9-C0FD-468F-8EC9-43B675A9FE91.jpeg

Transmission next. The linkage to the trans are bent. Typical of a mfh kit. Going to straighten them out and paint them black. Set the engine and trans in the chassis. This car was just a engine and transmission wrapped in a aluminum skin. No wonder they were so fast. 

57A5BD6B-0BD6-4D73-9048-9E456C962EC5.jpeg

70C04475-0243-4470-B02B-402E96804606.jpeg

D9BBB545-CD20-4084-8030-1D9ADB5B8167.jpeg

6 hours ago, cobraman said:

I am enjoying this !

Ray , sir if you love cobras , and I know you do, this is the kit to get. I do not know what it is ,but when you are working on this kit ,it feels like your at Shelby American in L.A. 1966. It’s a hard kit but the results are worth it. Like it was hard to beat Ferrari. I’ve always wanted this car but it was always out of reach. So I’m building the car I wanted sooo bad as a kid. Black with black interior with sunburst wheels and of course, Goodyear tires. I remember the picture in my head of the unsold 427 cobras that we’re competition cars. Shelby could not sell them at the time. So he made them into SC cobras for the street. My cousin lived in Torrance and we watched cobras blast by his house. We were on our bicycles and thought I want one of those. So this build is more than a model for me. It’s the past memories and all of the emotions that go with this car. It’s a fun ,but very challenging build and I love every minute of it. 

5 hours ago, Brudda said:

I do not know what it is ,but when you are working on this kit ,it feels like your at Shelby American in L.A. 1966.

Not sure how I missed this post, but I've just read it start to finish,  this isn't modelling,  it's witchcraft,  I'd love to build something like this, but it's way out of my ability, can't wait to see this one finished. 

I am humbled by the quality of Brudda's build - that's why I am almost embarrassed to post pictures of my build.  He is on a different level from me altogether.  I can't wait to see his dashboard and interior details.  

I am building mine to resemble the Factory Five kit I built about 12 years ago.  It is a very challenging kit for sure, but rewarding just the same.  I am about to tackle mounting the doors and body and then I have to come up with strategy to build the windshield and frame.  The frame is white metal and it gets deformed to some degree during boxing and shipping.  The windshield "glass" is a very flimsy thin film that needs to be cut out.  Fun!

3 hours ago, nazdrave said:

...that's why I am almost embarrassed to post pictures of my build...

Please dont be embarrassed! Al builds are welcome and enjoyed here at the forum. I will most definitly enjoy your build as well! And you are proboably on an higher level than i am but never the less i enjoy posting content. ?