Model Cars Magazine Forum

427 cobra

Brudda

Bruce, she's lookin' absolutely FANTASTIC! :wub:

I know how you feel when it comes to not enough hours in the day. As a third shifter, there's just some days I don't get past "groking" parts before it's time to shelve things for the day.

BTW, I talked to someone from Eaglemoss the other day about the delay in getting further parts for the 1/8 '55 Mercedes 300 SL I'm doing. Indeed she said that COVID caused major delays in getting things out and I should start getting parts again any day. Haven't received anything since June.

Sometime down the road I'm going to break the bank and get one of those Cobras.

Just the parts layout alone in the kit is a marvel in itself to see as I have their 250 GTO and the Daytona Spyder.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys. I must apologize for the big delay on this build. My friend Mark from DeAgostini has a list of things for me to do. I am building a 1/8 ford GT, 1/7 Red Bull car, Ferrari f1 car and repainting a 1/10 Toyota GT. Plus I am building a 1/8 super snake for Agora models. So they are keeping me really busy with projects. I will come back to this car as soon as I can. The mfh cobra is comming out better than I expected. Cannot wait to come back to this build. Thank you guys for the support. 

• 2 months later...

It's been quite a while since this thread has seen any activity.  While Bruce was called away to other projects, I soldiered on and finished my build of the same kit.  As I've mentioned elsewhere, my skill level is not even in the same galaxy as Bruce's, but I am proud of how my windshield turned out and I wanted to share the experience with the Forum so others will know.  

In the pictures you will see the finished product (except, I will come back to the side wings and visors).  As most know, MFH kits are very detailed and very high quality.  As such, I was shocked at how crappy the included windshield was and how flimsy the windshield frame is.  The WS is a vacuum formed piece that's not even cut out and was flimsy junk.  It was ruined on my first attempt at securing it to the frame.  

Here's what I ended up doing.  I found a clear bottle of cleaner.  I made a template from the WS frame and made a rough cut of this bottle.  I then found a coffee can with approximately the right curvature and taped the plastic onto the can.  I then VERY CAREFULLY used a heat gun on the opposite side (inside the can) to gently remold the plastic (it took three tries because I kept melting the plastic!).  I then did some real careful trimming of the plastic on the WS frame - this took forever.  I then carefully used super thin super glue on the top and bottom middle to secure the plastic to the frame and when use clear plastic parts glue to secure (and fill in) the corners.  OK, here's the rub - the glue made several messes on the plastic because the frame is so flimsy and thin, it couldn't be helped.  So, then...

I VERY GENTLY used 1500 grit sanding sponges followed by successively finer sand papers and sanded to the entire plastic surface knowing I was going to try using Future (actually Pledge now) for the first time.  I was nervous as the plastic was quite cloudy after all the sanding.  Well... the Pledge worked!!!  And amazingly well in my opinion!  I was shocked because I had never used it before.  It beautifully filled in all the sand marks and low spots.  I dipped and let dry twice and I am amazed at the results.  So there you go; if you ever need glass repair, just carefully sand and dip in Pledge and it works like a charm.    

cobra windshield.png

Cobra windshield 2.png

14 hours ago, nazdrave said:

It's been quite a while since this thread has seen any activity.  While Bruce was called away to other projects, I soldiered on and finished my build of the same kit.  As I've mentioned elsewhere, my skill level is not even in the same galaxy as Bruce's, but I am proud of how my windshield turned out and I wanted to share the experience with the Forum so others will know.  

In the pictures you will see the finished product (except, I will come back to the side wings and visors).  As most know, MFH kits are very detailed and very high quality.  As such, I was shocked at how crappy the included windshield was and how flimsy the windshield frame is.  The WS is a vacuum formed piece that's not even cut out and was flimsy junk.  It was ruined on my first attempt at securing it to the frame.  

Here's what I ended up doing.  I found a clear bottle of cleaner.  I made a template from the WS frame and made a rough cut of this bottle.  I then found a coffee can with approximately the right curvature and taped the plastic onto the can.  I then VERY CAREFULLY used a heat gun on the opposite side (inside the can) to gently remold the plastic (it took three tries because I kept melting the plastic!).  I then did some real careful trimming of the plastic on the WS frame - this took forever.  I then carefully used super thin super glue on the top and bottom middle to secure the plastic to the frame and when use clear plastic parts glue to secure (and fill in) the corners.  OK, here's the rub - the glue made several messes on the plastic because the frame is so flimsy and thin, it couldn't be helped.  So, then...

I VERY GENTLY used 1500 grit sanding sponges followed by successively finer sand papers and sanded to the entire plastic surface knowing I was going to try using Future (actually Pledge now) for the first time.  I was nervous as the plastic was quite cloudy after all the sanding.  Well... the Pledge worked!!!  And amazingly well in my opinion!  I was shocked because I had never used it before.  It beautifully filled in all the sand marks and low spots.  I dipped and let dry twice and I am amazed at the results.  So there you go; if you ever need glass repair, just carefully sand and dip in Pledge and it works like a charm.    

cobra windshield.png

Cobra windshield 2.png

WOW !!! Looks fantastic!!!! What kind of body fitting issues to the chassis were there? Nazdrave your cobra is beautiful!!! To even get a mfh kit finished is a monumental feat! Yes the windshield is really bad. I think mfh could have come up with something better. Great job and please show more pics. I’m going to be getting back to the cobra in a little bit. The paint job on the Toyota is done, the Red Bull car is done and the super snake is just about finished. So all there is , is the ford GT and Ferrari. This cobra just gets my blood going as I wanted a real one all my life. I remember in the 80’s the 427 was $80,000. I said “way to much”  When I was in high school there was a used one at a corvette dealer named Bob Shiros , that had a 427 for a outrageous price of $7000!  Still the same, cannot afford it. Maybe that lottery ticket will hit ........ HA

3 hours ago, Brudda said:

WOW !!! Looks fantastic!!!! What kind of body fitting issues to the chassis were there? Nazdrave your cobra is beautiful!!! To even get a mfh kit finished is a monumental feat! Yes the windshield is really bad. I think mfh could have come up with something better. Great job and please show more pics. I’m going to be getting back to the cobra in a little bit. The paint job on the Toyota is done, the Red Bull car is done and the super snake is just about finished. So all there is , is the ford GT and Ferrari. This cobra just gets my blood going as I wanted a real one all my life. I remember in the 80’s the 427 was $80,000. I said “way to much”  When I was in high school there was a used one at a corvette dealer named Bob Shiros , that had a 427 for a outrageous price of $7000!  Still the same, cannot afford it. Maybe that lottery ticket will hit ........ HA

Thanks, Bruce!  The body fitment was actually pretty good with one exception; I just couldn't get the sidepipe mounting bracket to line up properly with the chassis rail and it wasn't even close.  Other than that, it went on pretty easily.  I'd like to try a De Agostini kit one of these days.  Right now, I've started on a Tamiya/EBBRO 1/12 1968 MS11 Matra F1 car and I have another MFH 1/20 Lotus 72C waiting in the wings. 

I will post more pics of this Cobra build in another post, but here I thought I would share some pictures of the Factory Five Cobra kit car I built a while back.  I did everything on the car except the paint which a friend of mine did.  

FFR Cobra.jpg

FFR Cobra 2.jpg

FFR Interior.jpg

FFR Engine.jpg

8 hours ago, nazdrave said:

Thanks, Bruce!  The body fitment was actually pretty good with one exception; I just couldn't get the sidepipe mounting bracket to line up properly with the chassis rail and it wasn't even close.  Other than that, it went on pretty easily.  I'd like to try a De Agostini kit one of these days.  Right now, I've started on a Tamiya/EBBRO 1/12 1968 MS11 Matra F1 car and I have another MFH 1/20 Lotus 72C waiting in the wings. 

I will post more pics of this Cobra build in another post, but here I thought I would share some pictures of the Factory Five Cobra kit car I built a while back.  I did everything on the car except the paint which a friend of mine did.  

FFR Cobra.jpg

FFR Cobra 2.jpg

FFR Interior.jpg

FFR Engine.jpg

Hello Nazdrave. Here is a pic of a Shelby I had. Sold it 5 years ago to a bay area dentist. I took the car to the Bay Area and my left leg was wore out. 650lb clutch will do that. Had the car over 40 years. Bought it for $800. And sold it for a lot more than that. 

202EFD08-5C0D-4090-B3A0-B48E74B8EC63.jpeg

1D79C078-9CFB-432A-8234-494F9A37E0BE.jpeg

69BDF30B-FCC4-432F-8C96-59D88BB2FA02.jpeg

11 hours ago, nazdrave said:

Gorgeous Shelby, Bruce!  I love the Wimbledon White with blue stripes.  Is that the stock 306 hp 289? 

By the way, my name is Mark.  

Hello Nazdrave, I put the original 289 in my garage and the engine in the picture is a 351 Windsor bored and stroked to 418 cubic inches. My friend , Larry Paulsen built the engine. Has dodge rods, Chevy 202 valves.And all different kinds of machine work.  Dyno is 450 ft lbs at 420 hp. I went to laguna seca with that car and kept up with 427 cobras . ( I vintage raced this car)Could not pass them but kept right with them. That’s when they looked at the engine and I was not permitted to run. But it sure was fun for the first part of the day. 

Just now, Brudda said:

Hello Nazdrave, I put the original 289 in my garage and the engine in the picture is a 351 Windsor bored and stroked to 418 cubic inches. My friend , Larry Paulsen built the engine. Has dodge rods, Chevy 202 valves.And all different kinds of machine work.  Dyno is 450 ft lbs at 420 hp. I went to laguna seca with that car and kept up with 427 cobras . ( I vintage raced this car)Could not pass them but kept right with them. That’s when they looked at the engine and I was not permitted to run. But it sure was fun for the first part of the day. 

Hello Mark

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, getting a break from the big kits. Wanted to get back to this project.  Worked on the windshield of the cobra. It’s the hardest part of the build for me. So thin and fragile. It’s looking good . On to the next stage. Rear trunk areaB3ABBD01-78BB-4C3F-A1D8-BAD943F70367.thumb.jpeg.906e05b8735fe485f9cb90ebf07af14d.jpeg

BB6B5AAC-4D93-43CD-90C4-6FDADA0BC93C.jpeg

0118F3E6-D313-4F41-98C6-1F5F5913E0AD.jpeg