Model Cars Magazine Forum

427 cobra

Brudda

On 4/5/2021 at 1:36 PM, Chris Smith said:

Couple weeks!?... I’m sure if you have the chance it will be done sooner 😉

Arts shop is Scale Pro Shop! 
I got a couple things for the Porsche from him(braided lines).. I also hope the shows open soon.

Hello Chris! Thank you for Arts info. Going to need some stuff from him soon. Well polished and waxed the body. Front oil cooler and front vents next. Getting close. 5B57A6B7-ED8A-4D74-ABAF-79FE3D92C71B.thumb.jpeg.506856b7b3531288d8d86ba000217bae.jpeg

94408603-49E4-4A5E-9477-E3C7D7D7FC7A.jpeg

36433E59-7008-4CBC-9F79-E82D5CC30AC0.jpeg

8166D373-5D4E-4FC9-B902-3FD0D2C4DD86.jpeg

Body is on the frame. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Still needs things. Fitting windshield, rollbar( I noticed it’s too high) , seats,.side pipes etc.  On a downhill run now. Not getting in a hurry now. This is where mistakes can ruin a build. 

42C6EDB0-026F-4DCE-8AE8-3DDB9C05A3ED.jpeg

2ADE7C2D-DB1C-4F70-9350-ED9E1789A27F.jpeg

CAEB5DC5-A00F-4EEB-A4E6-5A75DE862EE7.jpeg

Looking amazing, Bruce!  I noticed the same thing on the roll bar.  Also, I'm curious to see how your side pipes fit.  I had two issues with mine.  The first was a slight downward (toward the rear) slant.  I worked it as best I could to level it up without going too far.  The second is that on my kit, the mounting points for the bracket that attaches the side pipe (about midway down the side pipe) to the frame rail were so out of line that I couldn't even use the bracket.  I mean it wasn't even close, like it was some manufacturing error or something.   

20 hours ago, nazdrave said:

Looking amazing, Bruce!  I noticed the same thing on the roll bar.  Also, I'm curious to see how your side pipes fit.  I had two issues with mine.  The first was a slight downward (toward the rear) slant.  I worked it as best I could to level it up without going too far.  The second is that on my kit, the mounting points for the bracket that attaches the side pipe (about midway down the side pipe) to the frame rail were so out of line that I couldn't even use the bracket.  I mean it wasn't even close, like it was some manufacturing error or something.   

Thank you Nazdrave. I will keep you updated on the side pipe situation. Just put the oil lines in the front of the cooler. Starting to come together. C10AA4A8-8054-4A56-995F-97128716CF3E.thumb.jpeg.b232433f3d7103e5f1afabdef4979bde.jpeg

Thank you Dann. Ok Mark,  here we go on the side pipe installation.  I’m going to ( after fitting) fill the side pipe sections with some putty to make them look like they are all welded together as one piece. Having a problem deciding what to finish them. Just saw Jay Leno’s garage and he had a black 427 cobra he was test driving. Not a kit but a real 427. Had white side pipes with a gloss black roll bar. I guess I have seen so many kits I forgot what a real one looked like.( Not that kits are bad, they are sometimes better than a original.) But a real one was neat to see. Sooo my problem is deciding what to finish my roll bar and side pipes. My buddy Mark Adams wants polished finish on both. I might go Jay Leno’s garage with gloss black rollbar and white side pipes. It sure looked great. 

A27E5C6F-599D-487E-BC98-5D7E91410539.jpeg

image.jpg

06569BB0-CD7C-4EFE-B391-E0C2474DFC77.jpeg

Well trying to fit these side pipes. They are very bad. The right side is a 1/4 inch off on the mounting point. The left is only off 1/16 . I do not know how these could be so far off. Filling the old mounting points and redrilling new points. Still cannot make up my mind on the colors of the rollbar and side pipes.

31AE37F9-31F9-4E45-87EA-04A38D7F61CB.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Brudda said:

Well trying to fit these side pipes. They are very bad. The right side is a 1/4 inch off on the mounting point. The left is only off 1/16 . I do not know how these could be so far off. Filling the old mounting points and redrilling new points. Still cannot make up my mind on the colors of the rollbar and side pipes.

31AE37F9-31F9-4E45-87EA-04A38D7F61CB.jpeg

Bruce, I have to tell you I'm glad I'm not the only one!  Mine were off like that as well.  I don't understand it.  I ended up just not using the mounting brackets, but I have faith you'll come up with a good solution.  And I think go with the flat white side pipes for sure.  They give a real nice authentic vintage look espcecially on the 427s.  

Bruce, yours is lookin' soooo good! On the rollbar, I do believe yours sits right where it should be. On the 1:1, the rollbar had to sit a bit higher than the windscreen due to heaven forbid it should rollover.

You'd want it to hit that first and not the other way around.

That's the first I've seen Leno's car! VERY sharp! I see one of my '50's favorites in the background..............a 1958 Chrysler Imperial which I'm sure is his also. :wub:

21 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

That's the first I've seen Leno's car! VERY sharp! I see one of my '50's favorites in the background..............a 1958 Chrysler Imperial which I'm sure is his also. :wub:

I dont believe that is Jay Lenos actual car.

I think its there to store while the ca wide fires were going on a while back . he did a show on while it was there