Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1932 Ford Tudor custom show rod.

alan barton

Here it is, finished at last!  This is a nearly box stock build of the infamous AMT 32 Tudor from the Willys / Ford double kit.  I had the frame, interior and other bits and bobs from a very gluebombed childhood build  and after seeing several built models on this forum I decided to try to resurrect it, but using the AMT Vicky body instead of the Tudor ( because my two Tudor bodies were already built.  You can imagine my surprise when Steve (Muncie on here) from Oregon generously donated a near mint pale blue Tudor body to the cause.  His care package also included a fresh nose, headlights and front axle.  It turns out that we have a lot of interests in common and if we are ever allowed to travel out of our own countries again I intend looking up Steve and wasting a few hours talking cars!

So what you see here is a restored chassis, engine, rear end, wheels and interior from my childhood build with Steve's body and grille shell.  I opened the roof because it is a waste to not be able to see that amazing square button tufted interior.  I have made a transparent blue roof insert but haven't yet devised a clean way of attaching it to the flange that I made around the inside edge.

The nailhead was freshened up with the rocker covers and oil pan from a Revell 29 kit.  The wheels are originals while the tyres are from an AMT Parts Pack.  I got the front end down about 2mm from the original stance, maybe 3mm but it is still a long way up in the air.  I did consider using a dropped axle but in the end decided to respect the original AMT design, warts and all. I scratchbuilt a RHD firewall using AMT 29 Ford master cylinders.  I loved the detail of the original firewalll but couldn't bring myself to cut up the two originals I have in the stash.  If anyone is trying to restore one of these I would be happy to contribute a firewall - paying it forward and all!

Colour is Mazda blue from a Duplicolor spray can with Duplicolor clear over the top.  

I'm really happy to build this childhood memory with adult skills and it makes a welcome addition to my AMT 32 Ford collection.  I can't thank Steve enough for making it happen.  it just shows what a wonderful place this forum is and the quality of people who visit here. Thanks Steve, I won't forget this!

Cheers

Alan

20200531_124808.jpg

Front view.jpg

20200531_125932.jpg

20200531_130045.jpg

20200531_130057.jpg

20200531_125047(0).jpg

20200531_125249.jpg

Final Interior.jpg

Beautiful build Alan! I love what you've done to resurrect this. And converting it to RHD! Perfect color combo. I have this interior bucket and the nose in my stash and wouldn't mind trying something similar to this. Just out of curiosity, what is special about the firewall? Looks like flat sheet stock would work to me. 

BTW- I've met Steve (Muncie) in person. What a great guy! Hope you get a chance someday soon to meet him for yourself.

Later-

Beautiful looking Show Rod. You mention the square button tufted floor boards and I was wondering how you achieved that and the tuck & roll dash and interior panels. Great that Steve would provide the parts you needed. I like the old Edsel style grill on this also. 

Alan, I am extremely honored by your gratitude.  You built something that had been on the shelf for way too long.  I am grateful to you for putting it to good use.  This is beautiful, the color absolutely pops and the whitewalls are the missing part from the original kit that makes it come to life.  Well done.  Looking forward to meeting down the road.  Steve

Wow, guys, I've been truly overwhelmed by the response to my custom Tudor!  It is heartening to see so many other people appreciate the history of our hobby. I had a ball building this one and as I have a very modified Monogram 3 window on the bench, utilising the same nose,  I will get to have another go at something similar before too long.  This time I will be able to get it as low as I like !

By the way, I noticed the firewall had popped and the door handles weren't chrome in these pictures - all fixed now!

Espo, other than flipping the steering wheel and pedals, that interior tub is exactly as AMT moulded it.  One change I did make, however, was to locate the interior tub into the body .  Because I was not going to use the original one piece glass unit, the tub had nowhere to rest and I could imagine glue going everywhere.  I took a strip of half round Evergreen and carefullly glued it to the inside of the body around the rear section, just above the waistline.  This was sanded smooth and blended in and then painted flat white so that it looks like just another roll in the upholstery.  This then gave me a solid stop to butt the top edge of the interior against.  It worked a treat!

And Steve, you are a fine example of the sort of person you meet in both the modelling and hot rodding circles.  When I am talking to work colleagues about cars, they often use the term "petrolhead" to describe me. They think that I am addicted to cars.   I immediately correct them.  The car is just the vehicle we use (pun intended ) to meet like minded souls who happen to be some of the coolest people on the planet.

Steve's generosity was outstanding - when I had a paint disaster he instantly offered me yet another Tudor body!!! Unbelievable!!!!!   Fortunately with some careful and monotonous sanding I was able to save the first body.  As we would say in Australia, Steve is ":fair dinkum".  Steve now has a copy of the Australian Street Rodding magazine with this car in my column as a memento of his contribution.

Tom, here's a shot of the original firewall.  It is kinda funky but so true to the early sixties AMT era. It is on the right, my flat version is in the middle and on the left is the AMT Ala Kart firewall that I robbed the master cylinders from.  I had a bunch of these so didn't feel bad sacrificing one for this build.

Thanks again, everyone

Cheers

Alan

20200530_182318.jpg