Model Cars Magazine Forum

1982 Bobby Allison Gatorade Buick - Salvinos JR kit

Goodwrench3

Ok -- I'm trying something new.  Start to finish in under 30 days.  Yes, I need to let go of all that "perfectionism".  Nothing ever is, and all I've ended up with for years is partly built kits.

Here she is.  Body is on and now for the decals.   No --  the paint job isn't perfect.  And I'm OK with that.  I'm going to FINISH this kit and have it on my shelf to enjoy !!

buick_done.jpg

allison_chassis.jpg

Edited by Goodwrench3
added pic
  • Like 2

RE:   "Striving for perfection leads to unhappiness."   --   so true.  So so true.

I've "started" a lot of builds over the last few years and then parked them when something wasn't "perfect" --  or not "up to par" with the builds I see here.  So, nothing gets finished and it just led to frustration and no enjoyment for me in the building.

I'm done with that.

I've got a "stash" that I can't see over in my basement.  And only a handful of built models on the shelf to look at.  

No more.

I'm now just getting them done in 30 days and what they look like is what it will be.  I realize that the enjoyment just has to be in the fun of building -- and not whether the final product is "perfect" or "as good as others I see posted".  

I've got 90% of the decals on tonight -- just need to add the contingency clusters and the door numbers tomorrow night and it's finished.  All within 30 days (and we were away for a weekend during that time).

I hope maybe others can relate to this and I'm not the only one in this boat.  I've enjoyed this build much more since I'll have something FINISHED on the shelf to look at and enjoy.

?

• Like 1

Here it is.   No, it's not perfect.   It's got a few "issues"...  but it's  DONE !!!!

Unfortunately, the Salvinos JR kits have a "fit" issue with their windshields.  Oh well.   I'm happy I finished it.

88_1.jpg

88_2.jpg

88_3.jpg

Edited by Goodwrench3
added text
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Thank you !

I'm moving away from the "perfectionism" mentality to the "just have fun building".

I need to just enjoy building again.  I don't build to enter contests.  I just enjoy the 1980's NASCAR era.

If it's not fun why bother!

Just now, gks1964 said:

If it's not fun why bother!

Yup.  That's where I was.   This is the first kit I've **FINISHED** in 20+ years.   I've got a lot of stuff half built -- parked because it's not "perfect" .. or "contest worthy".

I'm done with that.

I'm having FUN again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 7:43 PM, Goodwrench3 said:

Yup.  That's where I was.   This is the first kit I've **FINISHED** in 20+ years.   I've got a lot of stuff half built -- parked because it's not "perfect" .. or "contest worthy".

I'm done with that.

I'm having FUN again.

Glad you finished.   If you ever saw these cars up close when they were current, they were far from perfect, especially the short track cars.   Not even as close as the kit.   Wavy body work, wonky paint, etc.  Looks great to me.  

4 hours ago, randyc said:

Glad you finished.   If you ever saw these cars up close when they were current, they were far from perfect, especially the short track cars.   Not even as close as the kit.   Wavy body work, wonky paint, etc.  Looks great to me.  

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I'm trying to focus on just enjoying the activity of building and not putting 100% of my satisfaction on the "result".  I've learned over years that it leads to very few completed builds and a lot of undue stress over how good the finished model is and I've lost a lot of enjoyment as a result.

51 minutes ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I'm trying to focus on just enjoying the activity of building and not putting 100% of my satisfaction on the "result".  I've learned over years that it leads to very few completed builds and a lot of undue stress over how good the finished model is and I've lost a lot of enjoyment as a result.

I found it is more fun to finish than to fret the details

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 8:03 PM, Goodwrench3 said:

Ok -- I'm trying something new.  Start to finish in under 30 days.  Yes, I need to let go of all that "perfectionism".  Nothing ever is, and all I've ended up with for years is partly built kits.

Here she is.  Body is on and now for the decals.   No --  the paint job isn't perfect.  And I'm OK with that.  I'm going to FINISH this kit and have it on my shelf to enjoy !!

buick_done.jpg

allison_chassis.jpg

That first pic, it would make for one mean street car!

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, wrenchr said:

I need to do the same, lots of partial builds and not many done. 

I'll tell ya.  It's a game changer.  Once you force yourself to do it in 30 days and no excuses, it gets you "over the hump".  That feeling of satisfaction of putting a finished one up on the shelf is priceless.