Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've heard Revell enamel paints will be available in the US soon

21 minutes ago, JohnU said:

Wow! $27.00 for 14 ml (.49oz) with free shipping from England on eBay! Wonder what it will cost if it becomes available in the US.

Its $27 because they have included the shipping into the sale price,  if you look at prices of the paints at a UK hobby store before you add shipping, you can see they are around the same price as Tamiya ,

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/revell-14ml-01-enamel-gloss-clear/?exchange_rate=3

Edited by martinfan5

I highly recommend Revell enamel and acrylic paints. I have about 150 tins of Revell Email (enamel) paints that I bought in Germany back in the early 1980s and they're still good. They are similar to the old Humbrol enamels. One coat covering, with little to no brush strokes, with a brush and they also airbrush well. I also have about two dozen containers of the Aqua Colours acrylic paints I purchased from modelsforsale.com. These acrylic paints are not what most are accustomed to when you think of acrylic model paints. They are fairly viscous, similar to artist acrylic paints in tubes. That said, I like them. Thin them with water, alcohol or acrylic paint thinner from any other manufacturer. Airbrushing is great. They level well and don't hide details.

6 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Seriously, those people who have used them, how are they?  The tins look like the ones that Humbrol use, so are they rebranded Humbrol paint, or are they something different?

They are not the same. In my opinion Revell paints are better than Humbrol.

11 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Seriously, those people who have used them, how are they?  The tins look like the ones that Humbrol use, so are they rebranded Humbrol paint, or are they something different?

Revell is a synthetic enamel, and totally different to Humbrol, i do use both, but i prefer Revell enamels, they brush real nice and thinned with lacquer thinners they airbrush superbly,  I've still got a few tins that are labelled Car Metalics which I picked up while working in Germany in the 1990's,  never seen them for sale in the UK. 

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I'm a big fan of Humbrol paints, so this sounds pretty encouraging.  Thanks for the info!

Humbrol paints are now made in the UK by a company called Rustins, the quality went down the pan when they were being produced in China 

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

That particular collaboration is circa 1985 and consisted of 52 colors.

humbrol-f02a.jpg

An interesting thing about the Revell of Germany enamel paints from the late '70s through who knows when is that the paints were manufactured by Humbrol.

humbrol-f01a.jpg  humbrol-f01b.jpg

Humbrol manufactured the paint for Revell back when Revell had their production facility here in Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, UK for their kits,,  that was many years ago since there was a Revell GB.

Edited by GeeBee

30 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

Humbrol paints are now made in the UK by a company called Rustins, the quality went down the pan when they were being produced in China 

Would you say the quality of Humbrol paints has returned to their original standard or somewhere between that and the Chinese stuff?

26 minutes ago, Monty said:

Would you say the quality of Humbrol paints has returned to their original standard or somewhere between that and the Chinese stuff?

The enamels are decent enough but the acrylics are trash unless you want what looks like grit in them. I chucked out most of the acrylics i had and replaced with tamiya. I cant say any of the humbrol stuff apart from enamels and glues are worth having.

45 minutes ago, Monty said:

I'm using Both Humbrol and Revell enamel paints, I'm more than happy with the quality of the Humbrol paint these days, I also use other products made by Rustins, (the company that manufacturers Humbrol paints) there quality is 1st class, Humbrol paints are as good as they used to be before the Chinese got their hands on them,if not slightly better