Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

Revell USA has just posted pictures to their Facebook pictures of a 1971 Mustang undergoing Lidar scanning with the words "The start of a 100% new tool from Revell, beginning with 3D Scanning a '71 Boss 351 Mustang!" attached. Seems that the worry as to whether or not Revell was still going forward with new tool domestic subject kits can be put to rest. 

118656916_3616411181724456_5834883650372953840_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=LnO-eABNWrgAX9R-Jl1&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=6f98dd56051b093e732d913a30a3f165&oe=5F7142CB

118631823_3616411241724450_3623450633603662475_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=K4vZBm3YrJgAX9j7kF0&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=23605f205123f56362eb504b84ff6814&oe=5F74085D

Just now, Jordan White said:

Beat me to posting by a minute! ?

I'm interested in this depending on the amount of detail they put in.

What can I say? It's exciting news and should put to ease anyone who was worried that Revell wasn't going to handle American domestic cars anymore in new tooling since the latest tooling had been a Land Rover and a Jaguar. 

Looking on Scalemates, there has not been one newly tooled in a very long time, so it will be a welcome kit.

Edit: in terms of Mustangs, I think a 6th Gen would have been the better option to focus on, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by Jordan White

Oh my.  Dreams may come true.  The hubcaps in this picture are no big deal as most Boss 351’s that have been restored have either the trim ring and hub cap or the chrome and black Magnum 500’s with Goodyear or Firestone F60-15 tires.  I am pretty excited if this kit comes out in the next year or so as is will probably lead to a Mach1 version which would be only slightly different (front bumper and hood paint name a few things).  Here are specs I found on line.  Hopefully the model will not have the standard steering wheel and standard interior which you expect to see in a striped down 6 cylinder coupe.  The decor Group or “deluxe” interior and the optional rim-blow steering wheels are much nicer looking.  I have never seen the argent painted Magnum 500’s on a 1971 Boss 351 but I could not say for sure if none came with them.  Also, the rear spoiler was not standard and  the fold down rear seat was an option but all of them came with the space saver spare tire.  I am pretty sure all 1,806 built  had the rear fold down seat.  The book Boss Mustangs but Donald Farr only spent a page and a half on the Boss 351 and the rest of the 170 plus pages on the 69-70 Bosses and 2012-2013 models.  Everyone knows I am biased when it comes to 71-73 Mustangs but the 351 was faster in the 1/4 mile than the 69 or 70 Boss 302 and was ignored because Ford pulled out of the TramsAm racing series and Bunkie was out and Iacocca was more interested in developing and selling the much smaller Mustang II In 1974 that did not even have a V8 engine as an option.  As for the T/A Boss 302’s, they were race cars and only resembled their street namesakes to sell cars.

7B9A3010-4DEE-4C57-BA95-F8500E29C384.jpeg

C9BC58B6-1F48-4444-AD6F-C8263FEDD88F.jpeg

CBC6897D-7815-4BC7-B6AD-2D08EF369A5A.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I really hope that someone fact-checks before those wheel covers wind up in a Boss 351 kit.....

Yes - they ended up on that Kit in name and decal only MPC version that was not a Boss 351 by any stretch of the imagination.  Those “Sport” hubcaps looks okay on a plain fastback or coupe but NOT a 71 Boss or Mach1.

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Yes - they ended up on that Kit in name and decal only MPC version that was not a Boss 351 by any stretch of the imagination.  Those “Sport” hubcaps looks okay on a plain fastback or coupe but NOT a 71 Boss or Mach1.

I like them just fine. 

5 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Why?

Monday Shopper: 1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351 – When You Want To Mess With Everyone’s Head!

Wheels

Because these are the only two that were offered on the Boss 351. The "sports" wheel covers were 14" and the Boss 351 had 15" wheels. I have no clue why we now have pics of two "Boss 351s" with these covers unless they are both impostors. Rex?

image.png.a04f9340c2317b6fc598ebd1df700859.png

18 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Because these are the only two that were offered on the Boss 351. The "sports" wheel covers were 14" and the Boss 351 had 15" wheels. I have no clue why we now have pics of two "Boss 351s" with these covers unless they are both impostors. Rex?

image.png.a04f9340c2317b6fc598ebd1df700859.png

There’s literally only one person on the planet (Kevin Marti) that would know who would know how many came with that hubcap becuase he has all of the original Ford records.  I suppose if someone liked them the could install them themselves of course but I have cars that are restored to almost perfect and original but just have a few things that are just make you wonder why.  If they came on the car put the nice set in the trunk when you sell it and go with the wheels that everyone expect to see otherwise you just create doubt in peoples minds.   There are always one off factory goof ups too but I’d go with whatever is one the “window” sticker on the car unless someone has a receipt from a Ford  Dealer showing they were “changed” before the car was deliver to the customer.  Marti’s book Mustang by the numbers (67-73) does not breakout every option but does note that of the over 40K Mustang sportsroof (including the Boss and Mach1) that only a little over 4K came with Magnum 500 wheels.  My guess wold be that most of those 4K found their way on the 1,806 Bosses and over 36K Mach1’s in 1971.

Maybe, just maybe they will include more than one wheel option, kind of like the '68 and '69 Chevelle. It cracks me up how some modelers worry and fret about trivial things whenever a new tool announcement is made. Like none of us has a few extra sets of Magnum 500's sitting around anyways. I'm personally excited about this news for a number of reasons, even though the subject may not be my favorite car or even favorite Mustang I still like the body style. And as mentioned previously, any new tooling is great news, considering how very close we were very recently to losing Revell as a manufacturer altogether!!

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

We have enough kits with Magnum 500 wheels, give us the trim rings and hub caps, please. And, please, make them separate parts! 

I will gladly take a new-tool '71-73 Mustang, followed by Javelins and many other performance cars of the era. Hopefully there will be a time when they make a notchback, so I can replicate my High School ride.  

IMG_0919.JPG

2 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Maybe, just maybe they will include more than one wheel option, kind of like the '68 and '69 Chevelle. It cracks me up how some modelers worry and fret about trivial things whenever a new tool announcement is made. Like none of us has a few extra sets of Magnum 500's sitting around anyways.

That is very true.  There are some decent resin copies of the Ford trim ring and hub caps that can be used.  I just hope they get the engine compartment and engine and ram air plenum right.

Edited by vamach1

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I have no interest in this subject...

Me neither, which just about ensures that it will be THE MOST accurate kit Revell has done in decades, with none of the annoying eyesore flaws they included on their various Chevies! :lol:

This is terrific news , when Round2 is just re-issuing and re-issuing over and over the same kits , it great to see model companies building new kits . Period . It looks like AMT/MPC ( owned by Round2 ) will never build a new kit ! Now Revell lets see a ‘70 Cougar and ‘70 Cyclone , how about ‘72 Torino/Montego ?

• Like 1

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date