Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

48 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

Did The '71 Boss ever come with rear window louvers ?

No.  The ones you see are aftermarket ones on any 71-73 Mustang.  I bought a set in the 1990’s from a speed shop.  They did keep the car cooler but it sure did not improve the limited visibility. ?

Edited by vamach1

10 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Come on Snake - get on the bandwagon like Cobraman will. ?  I will say the Boss 351 was short lived but it was one of the best factory engines that was not a big-block to come out in the 70’s.  With the Z28 and TransAm’s and AMX’s and Challenger TA’s roaming the streets it was an era not seen again for decades.  Non Ford diehardS may not know the Boss 351 name was dropped in 1972 but the engine was renamed the 351HO (or High Output) but with lower compression and was an option in any Mustang body style in 1972 but not many were built as buyers may have just opted for the standard 351C 4v that year which was available with a C6 automatic.  I guess Ford realized buyers were buying more Mach1’s (most of which had the 351 with a 500 cfm 2 barrel carb and a FMX automatic) and most people were not interested in car that would do zero to 100 in 14 seconds for fear maybe those hubcaps would fall off. ?  

I've read at least one account from a guy who'd owned all the hot Mustangs of the day--Shelbys, Boss Nines and 302s, Mach Is, etc.--and he said that the Boss 351 was far and away the best street car of all of them. I believe him, and take him at his word. It seems like an exceptionally well balanced package. But the '71-'73s are still the ugliest Mustangs ever built, IMHO. :angry:

3 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

Wow.. No mention of the drag pack option....☹️?

I'm pretty sure Ford had that for the BOSS-351....

The drag pack was the SCJ which was the 429 in 1971.  The Boss 351 was supposed to replace the Boss 302 and there was actually one 71 prototype with the 302 Windsor block and the 351C heads more commonly known as a Boss 302 engine.  Ford even did a run of decals for a 71 Boss 302 that ended up being the only one made.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1803-prototype-1971-boss-302

Edited by vamach1

12 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I just hope they get the engine compartment and engine and ram air plenum right.

One would like to think they will, and I am pretty confident that they will get at least very close, hopefully, lol. I have seen from your posts that you are very knowledgeable on the subject at question, and even small errors that are virtually imperceptible to most of us are glaring errors to those who possess said knowledge. Time will tell, but it would have to be a better more accurate kit than the MPC variant at the very least, lol.

13 minutes ago, Painted Black said:

I agree with you, even the MIIs look better....IMHO

I guess you guys are right.  I see 74 Mach’s with their high output V6 with 102 hp ?sell at auctions all the time for big bucks because they look cool. 

To each his own. ?

DD972247-C4EE-4F51-9E56-3D3FE9E9D940.jpeg

FBB71AF1-744E-480F-9C4F-2D0BCDA6DBA0.jpeg

When I bought my 1966 Mustang in FEB 1975 Young Ford had two Mustangs on the used lot. My 66 289 4spd 2+2 or a 72 302 fastback auto. Both were the same price....I liked both....but that 4spd made my mind.....still I wish I could have bought both!!!! They were both $800 each!!!

I'll buy a few Revell kits....

Although I'm not interested in this one, I am excited that a company is doing a brand new tooling of something...anything.

Personally, more modern subject matter would make me happier.

Would love to see a video or something on the entire process of creating a kit. From choosing the subject matter, to scanning, to molds, packaging, everything. All the behind the scenes stuff, including meetings. 

5 minutes ago, Dale Gribble said:

I can’t wrap my head around this choice . It’s another damned mustang , another ..... can we get , like , anything else ?? Some full size four door chevys ? Some modern crown vics ? Anything but another mustang that’s already been released in plastic and die cast form.... the bean counters at Revell most be mentally retarded.... 

I would love to see some marketing stats of the ages of todays model kit buyers overall and not just people in model car clubs.  Despite what you may think if you put this new kit next to a plain jane four door Chevy in the Hobby Lobby’s and big box stores I’m willing to bet which kit would sell more.  We all put out own personal bias on what we like but I think they would not invest in this kit unless it was going to sell well.

25 minutes ago, Dale Gribble said:

I can’t wrap my head around this choice . It’s another damned mustang , another ..... can we get , like , anything else ?? Some full size four door chevys ? Some modern crown vics ? Anything but another mustang that’s already been released in plastic and die cast form.... the bean counters at Revell most be mentally retarded.... 

The old ones are VERY long in the tooth and inaccurate. Im very glad to see this.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dale Gribble said:

They want to make money. Not lose money. Not hard to figure out.

• Like 1

The bean counters have it right. 

Revell hasn't offered this subject. So they've never made a dime off of 1971-1973 Mustang kit sales. They will get this kit to market and it will not only be better detailed than the comparable Round 2 reissue of old MPC tooling, but it will also beat Round 2 on MSRP, meaning that they'll corner the market on what is a popular subject. 

Right now, from my distributors, I could order any one of THIRTY SIX different 1/35th scale Tiger I tank kits from EIGHT different manufacturers. In the rest of the modeling world, the more popular a subject is, the bigger the pie is that the modeling companies want a slice of. You see this with P-51D Mustangs and Tiger tanks and the Bismarck. It's actually a weird incongruity that auto kit manufacturers will simply let a competitor have 100% of the sales of a particular subject instead of, you know, COMPETING with each other by offering unique or superior products. 

Well, I have Magnum 500s from my 68 & 9 Chevelles that will be perfect.   Or Revell will include them because they are already in the tooling catalog.  I'd rather have the other choices.  2 sets of non magnums would be great    Can they use one of the Torino chassis (70 or 74?) for this one?  If so, then that part is already done as well.   Just need body, engine, interior.   Maybe?  IDK.   Doesn't matter - I will probably go for it.    They should have a fairly accurate engine too right?   So parts bin all but the body and interior.  Kinda like the real cars were back in the day.   then more variations from that platform - notchbacks, Cougars, Torinos, etc.   We can complain about them, but we'd have modern kits of those body styles.   

I'd rather have a Mach1 - was almost my first car till my uncle told my mom it would be too fast.   So I got a 73 Grand Prix with a 400, 4 bbl, duals.   It would would one wheel peel till you let out of it.   Roadkill style burnouts.  That's my Mach1 story.  lol

6 minutes ago, randyc said:

Can they use one of the Torino chassis (70 or 74?) for this one?  If so, then that part is already done as well.   

That would make no sense, the '70 Torino had a longer wheelbase and was wider, and not to mention the '72-76 Torino was BOF, not a unibody.

I think this is good news!!!

It DOES CLEARLY show that Revell is still in our game, product-wise! 

They're 3D scanning the body- HOPEFULLY, this will ensure that the body shapes are right. Some of their more recent efforts (koffkoff'70HemiCuda) really have been terrible, shape wise (and I'm sticking to that assessment of the '70 Cuda kit- I owned a 'Cuda for many years- I'm thoroughly familiar with that body- and that kit's body does NOT look like a 'Cuda. To say that I'm disappointed with that one is a grave understatement.).   

I'm a Mopar guy, but this is a car I like, and I'll probably buy one if it's a good kit. It may be something considered common, but it should be a money maker, so it should hopefully justify future investments in that kind of subject matter.

Hubcaps? C'mon- Magnum 500 wheels are probably the single most common wheel available in kits today. That's a simple fix. I probably have about 10 extra sets. If they get the body right, for all I care, they can put "teddy bears" in the kit.   

Seriously, let's support this one. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, randyc said:

Well, I have Magnum 500s from my 68 & 9 Chevelles that will be perfect.   Or Revell will include them because they are already in the tooling catalog.  I'd rather have the other choices.  2 sets of non magnums would be great    Can they use one of the Torino chassis (70 or 74?) for this one?  If so, then that part is already done as well.   Just need body, engine, interior.   Maybe?  IDK.   Doesn't matter - I will probably go for it.    They should have a fairly accurate engine too right?   So parts bin all but the body and interior.  Kinda like the real cars were back in the day.   then more variations from that platform - notchbacks, Cougars, Torinos, etc.   We can complain about them, but we'd have modern kits of those body styles.   

I'd rather have a Mach1 - was almost my first car till my uncle told my mom it would be too fast.   So I got a 73 Grand Prix with a 400, 4 bbl, duals.   It would would one wheel peel till you let out of it.   Roadkill style burnouts.  That's my Mach1 story.  lol

The 70 torino chassis is similar, but not similar enough. The 74 is totally different and not very good imo. 

The Cleveland from the 70 Mach I would be correct for the 71

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date