Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

4 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

Its actually quite interesting to see how perfectly polarized the excitement here is. One half, me included, over the moon. The other disappointed that it's yet another Mustang or from the wrong generation.

Nothing wrong with it of course, interests don't have to line up, just noticing the exact split.

How is the decal business going?  Any chance that you will sell them in bulk to a supplier in the USA to keep shipping cost reasonable?

I don't at all disagree with the folks who are unhappy it's a Mustang. 

I still want a modern 1968-70 AMX. I'm baffled that the Austin-Healey 3000 has never been offered in plastic. I think that it's incredibly frustrating that your choices for 50's Cadillacs in plastic are limited to either the Monogram '59 or the Arii '57. I consider it bizarre that an ancient Revell kit remains the best option for a Ferrari 308GTB. 

But I know my shop will sell a bunch of these Mustangs. There is no good kit of this car, even if there are kits of this car and kits of other cars that have the same name as it. 

14 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

uh...

Though it's true I'd prefer the '67 (and a Terlingua/Titus variation would probably justify a '67 more than a '68), there was a bit of a joke in there somewhere.

?

I got it. Nuance doesn't work very well over the internet.

Like a couple have already mentioned, I find it interesting that there's a hard split on who's interested. I for one am grateful for a couple things here. First, it's an all new kit tool. Correct me if I'm wrong but the last all-new tool for a Mustang was I believe Revell's S197 generation cars. I've never built a later one to see what parts it shares with the 2006 that was tooled when it was new so I can't comment. Yeah, they did the S550 when it first came along too but we got a snap kit with lame headlights. Second, as many have said here too, this is not my favorite generation of Mustang either. However, I actually like them a whole lot since they were also the last hurrah for performance. The last gasp of breath for a complete base model Sportsroof with a hammer of a 429 Super Cobra Jet paired with a 4 speed Drag Pak car. People like to call them the Clydesdales because of their relative size, but for me that's a term of endearment. I'm of the mindset that in the Mustang bloodline, every generation should get it's due for keeping it alive, even the much maligned Mustang II. If not for them, 4 cylinder Fox bodies, and heaps of V6 convertibles ordered by rental car fleets, we wouldn't be able to walk into a Ford dealership and drive off in today's 760hp GT500, and for that I'm thankful. I'm also excited for this and the variants it has the potential to spawn. Fingers crossed for the aforementioned 429 SCJ/4 Speed Sportsroof with steelies and poverty caps.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:51 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Although I'm not interested in this one, I am excited that a company is doing a brand new tooling of something...anything.

Personally, more modern subject matter would make me happier.

Would love to see a video or something on the entire process of creating a kit. From choosing the subject matter, to scanning, to molds, packaging, everything. All the behind the scenes stuff, including meetings. 

Agree 100% and I will even buy one to support Revell. 

18 minutes ago, Casey429 said:

Like a couple have already mentioned, I find it interesting that there's a hard split on who's interested. I for one am grateful for a couple things here. First, it's an all new kit tool. Correct me if I'm wrong but the last all-new tool for a Mustang was I believe Revell's S197 generation cars. I've never built a later one to see what parts it shares with the 2006 that was tooled when it was new so I can't comment. Yeah, they did the S550 when it first came along too but we got a snap kit with lame headlights. Second, as many have said here too, this is not my favorite generation of Mustang either. However, I actually like them a whole lot since they were also the last hurrah for performance. The last gasp of breath for a complete base model Sportsroof with a hammer of a 429 Super Cobra Jet paired with a 4 speed Drag Pak car. People like to call them the Clydesdales because of their relative size, but for me that's a term of endearment. I'm of the mindset that in the Mustang bloodline, every generation should get it's due for keeping it alive, even the much maligned Mustang II. If not for them, 4 cylinder Fox bodies, and heaps of V6 convertibles ordered by rental car fleets, we wouldn't be able to walk into a Ford dealership and drive off in today's 760hp GT500, and for that I'm thankful. I'm also excited for this and the variants it has the potential to spawn. Fingers crossed for the aforementioned 429 SCJ/4 Speed Sportsroof with steelies and poverty caps.

Oh yeah - love to see the 429 Mach1 or sportsroof instread of having to raid a Torino Cobra kit just for the engine. It’s crazy there’s no newer Mustang either - people got spoiled with the ‘Annuals” back in the day.  I did not mention promos in a previous post but I would also not pay $300 for a 71 Mach1 promo which is basically the exact same mold as the AMT kit.  I have not even seen many different colors but that is just stupid money for a hunk of plastic, metal axles and rubber tires.

Yes, very good point. Revell's rendition of the 429 in the Torino is the most accurate representation of a 385-Series Ford Big Block in scale, and it's so underused being in one car. I'd buy that in a parts pack if Revell ever decided to have another go at those. I also forgot to mention in my earlier post that I'm with iamsuperdan in that Revell needs to document the whole process, and put it on social media. Lots of toy companies make products that encourage kids to take up a career in the STEM fields, so why not show them how they produce them? Plus everyone else posts how-to's on YouTube and the like, so it just goes along with the current climate of "PUT IT ON THE INTERNET!" 

I'd watch it too, as I tend to geek out over this stuff and it's what I do for a living. Not so much the 3D scanning, but 3D printing/Rapid Prototyping and 3D modelling are what puts kits on the workbench.

On 8/31/2020 at 3:35 PM, Justin Porter said:

What can I say? It's exciting news and should put to ease anyone who was worried that Revell wasn't going to handle American domestic cars anymore in new tooling since the latest tooling had been a Land Rover and a Jaguar. 

Last months 69 Chevelle release is a new tool, and this months release of their 71 GTX is new as well. The US arm of Revell is indeed still alive and doing well. I don't think we're going to loose the classic US autos anytime soon. Since Revell of Germany controls most of the capital, you may see them do their run first, followed by the US box released after. Kind of like their last run of the AAR Cuda, and the 2017 Ford GT Lemans kit last year.

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I can tell that you are positively moist with antici...........pation! :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Revell for producing yet another Mustang kit.

I understand how trying these times are for the kit companies and how they need to produce what they think will sell.

After all, they are a business like any other and turning a profit far outweighs making us all happy.

It's just not something that I am interested in.

Granted, if I had to build a Mustang, I might consider this kit rather than the multitude of '64-'70 Mustangs that exist, but luckily for me, I don't have to build one. :D

Above all, I'll be quite interested to see how this kit, like every other in recent years, will be picked apart for it's inaccuracies when it finally hits the shelves.

It's always quite fascinating.

In the meantime, I think I'll continue to covet those awful vintage kits with their horrible interior and chassis detailing, metal axles...........and accurate bodies. ;)

Steve

52 minutes ago, Casey429 said:

Yes, very good point. Revell's rendition of the 429 in the Torino is the most accurate representation of a 385-Series Ford Big Block in scale, and it's so underused being in one car. I'd buy that in a parts pack if Revell ever decided to have another go at those. I also forgot to mention in my earlier post that I'm with iamsuperdan in that Revell needs to document the whole process, and put it on social media. Lots of toy companies make products that encourage kids to take up a career in the STEM fields, so why not show them how they produce them? Plus everyone else posts how-to's on YouTube and the like, so it just goes along with the current climate of "PUT IT ON THE INTERNET!" 

I'd watch it too, as I tend to geek out over this stuff and it's what I do for a living. Not so much the 3D scanning, but 3D printing/Rapid Prototyping and 3D modelling are what puts kits on the workbench.

Now if they could find all these parts they could concentrate on getting the body right. ?

83410D97-50F4-4A8F-949B-11E827DC352E.jpeg

5 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Revell for producing yet another Mustang kit.

I understand how trying these times are for the kit companies and how they need to produce what they think will sell.

After all, they are a business like any other and turning a profit far outweighs making us all happy.

It's just not something that I am interested in.

Granted, if I had to build a Mustang, I might consider this kit rather than the multitude of '64-'70 Mustangs that exist, but luckily for me, I don't have to build one. :D

Above all, I'll be quite interested to see how this kit, like every other in recent years, will be picked apart for it's inaccuracies when it finally hits the shelves.

It's always quite fascinating.

In the meantime, I think I'll continue to covet those awful vintage kits with their horrible interior and chassis detailing, metal axles...........and accurate bodies. ;)

Steve

Yes it’s a shame it seems so hard to get everything right with the bodies with the newer molds.  It’s to the point of older kits that I just want to leave the hood shut because they are just ridiculous looking compared to the actual engine compartment.

On 9/1/2020 at 8:51 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Although I'm not interested in this one, I am excited that a company is doing a brand new tooling of something...anything.

Personally, more modern subject matter would make me happier.

Would love to see a video or something on the entire process of creating a kit. From choosing the subject matter, to scanning, to molds, packaging, everything. All the behind the scenes stuff, including meetings. 

It appears that Revell USA has pulled the post/photos from their Facebook page.

Here's some speculation on my part...

Perhaps the person that posted it on behalf of the company got a slap on the wrist for sharing it. (doubt that since the Revell USA team is very small, but maybe Blitz wasn't happy about such an early confirmation of a future product. A similar approach was taken when the Foose caddy and pickup were being developed, similar pictures were shared, although those subjects had been formally announced as part of a popular vote)

It could also be that they pulled it due to some very vocal negative comments about the chosen subject matter (although i tend to doubt this as well. Why have a social media presence if you're going to pull content when all the responses aren't positive? I highly doubt this is the real answer)

I'm just glad to see confirmation that the new owners are committed to new tooling for the North American market.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

3 hours ago, vamach1 said:

It’s to the point of older kits that I just want to leave the hood shut because they are just ridiculous looking compared to the actual engine compartment.

In my shop, this is where the new kits show their usefulness.

Parts!

I utilize them by pirating the engine and other components from a new kit and transplant them into an old body.

Best of both worlds.

And it's a large portion of the fun and gives me a great feeling of accomplishment.

Anybody can throw together a kit as it comes from the box.

It takes a little more skill and commitment to combine parts from several kits and make it presentable.

We are modelers after all, and not just assemblers.

image.jpeg.5d12815a55ab42fa2528ddf7e367f33f.jpeg

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

In my shop, this is where the new kits show their usefulness.

Parts!

I utilize them by pirating the engine and other components from a new kit and transplant them into an old body.

Best of both worlds.

And it's a large portion of the fun and gives me a great feeling of accomplishment.

Anybody can throw together a kit as it comes from the box.

It takes a little more skill and commitment to combine parts from several kits and make it presentable.

We are modelers after all, and not just assemblers.

image.jpeg.5d12815a55ab42fa2528ddf7e367f33f.jpeg

Steve

Yes I have done that one a few kits but I cannot think of any other product where you can sell the same thing for five decades without any improvements and people will keep buying them not expecting eventually someone will come along and offer something better.  The older Ford’s had distinctly different inner fenders and shock towers and bracing whereas it seem the 55+ year old chassis have those semi-circle inner fenders that are common in GM cars of that era.  Pretty annoying you have to use two kits just to make one nice one.  Maybe that is why I have so many. ?

Edited by vamach1

22 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Yes I have done that one a few kits but I cannot think of any other product where you can sell the same thing for five decades without any improvements and people will keep buying them not expecting eventually someone will come along and offer something better.  The older Ford’s had distinctly different inner fenders and shock towers and bracing whereas it seem the 55+ year old chassis have those semi-circle inner fenders that are common in GM cars of that era.  Pretty annoying you have to use two kits just to make one nice one.  Maybe that is why I have so many. ?

Missing Link cast the engine compartment insert.

7 hours ago, Hobby Trevor said:

[ Revell-Monogram's 1971] GTX is new as well.

That kit is little more than some F&F parts added to a kit whose origins date-back to 1983 . The 1971 'Satellite' was retooled and updated to GTX status in 1994 ( Six Barrel induction --with some nice carburetors at last-- plus the GTX interior , emblems , etc. ) , which was quite lovely at that time . If anyone were to release a 100% newly-tooled 1971 GTX ( or Road Runner ) , I'd be on it like flies on stink !

8 hours ago, Rodent said:

I got it. Nuance doesn't work very well over the internet.

You're telling me -

I got all the way here before I doubled back and caught the "nuance" that this is a new REVELL kit we're talking about (and actually Revell instead of the usual crank-step manufacturer mixup).

LIDAR, too? EXCELLENT.

Serve it up... ?️

I'll be looking into buying a '71 Mustang, if they produce one. 

'71 to '73 is my favorite body style for the pony car. It was rather difficult for me to see out the back glass on the fastback, tho!

I almost bought a '73 Mustang convertible once, but the '72 Buick Skylark was a better deal!

33 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

You're telling me -

I got all the way here before I doubled back and caught the "nuance" that this is a new REVELL kit we're talking about (and actually Revell instead of the usual crank-step manufacturer mixup).

LIDAR, too? EXCELLENT.

Serve it up... ?️

I will (probably) buy one of each version they eventually release. I too am hoping for a Mach 1 version with a 429 to eventually come along. If I get three wishes, one of them would be for Revell to tool up a convertible body and interior for a future release. 

OK Guys....turns out Revell could use your help in producing this all-new kit tool.  

To ensure the very best execution of the full-detail engines in these kits, they are looking for 1/1 scale Boss 351 Cleveland and 1971 Cobra Jet 429 engines that are currently out of the engine compartment and on an engine stand (or similar), so they can do a measuring and photography session for both.  These need to be 100% factory stock engines.  

If any of you know of someone or a restoration business currently working on either of these engines, please send me a private email using the mail function here at the Forum, with the name and contact information of the owner or builder, and I will pass that on to the product development team at Revell.  They're looking for solid leads only here, and time is of the essence, I am told.  

I'm sure the Revell team would highly appreciate any help on this that you could provide.  

Best Regards....TIM 

18 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I'll be looking into buying a '71 Mustang, if they produce one. 

'71 to '73 is my favorite body style for the pony car. It was rather difficult for me to see out the back glass on the fastback, tho!

I almost bought a '73 Mustang convertible once, but the '72 Buick Skylark was a better deal!

Me too, never drove one but hoping this gets to market. Just difficult to see the justification (sales) that 

are possible in any further issues/versions of the kit. Could be missing something, are there other 

avenues that they could take? Seems like currently manufacturers are introducing subject mater that

can be re boxed or designed/planned in a way for future new releases.

3 hours ago, sfhess said:

Missing Link cast the engine compartment insert.

True but a little of this an a little of that and before you know it you’ve got $50 invested in a kit and parts that are coming from various sources.  Fortunately I have gotten resin parts made for many of the incorrect and/or missing or better versions of the kit parts.

53 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

OK Guys....turns out Revell could use your help in producing this all-new kit tool.  

To ensure the very best execution of the full-detail engines in these kits, they are looking for 1/1 scale Boss 351 Cleveland and 1971 Cobra Jet 429 engines that are currently out of the engine compartment and on an engine stand (or similar), so they can do a measuring and photography session for both.  These need to be 100% factory stock engines.  

If any of you know of someone or a restoration business currently working on either of these engines, please send me a private email using the mail function here at the Forum, with the name and contact information of the owner or builder, and I will pass that on to the product development team at Revell.  They're looking for solid leads only here, and time is of the essence, I am told.  

I'm sure the Revell team would highly appreciate any help on this that you could provide.  

Best Regards....TIM 

Let me search for some names to see what I can come up with.  The video I posted about the 71 Boss 302 prototype shows a warehouse and if there is anyone that would know where a Boss 351 engine or 429CJ on a stand  it would probably be Bob.  I will send you his info.  Does the region of the country matter assuming they are looking for one is the US but there could be a few in Europe too.

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date