Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

2 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Me too. A Q-code Mach 1 wouldn't be a very big leap away from a Boss.

Yep.  Non-chrome bumper.  Different air-cleaner for non ram-air version for some years.  Rear valence with cutouts and exhaust tips.  Standard steel valve covers.  Intake and carb.  Honeycomb rear panel and quick release gap cap.

12 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Lots of exterior color choices.  Stripes are either black or argent (silver).

0FDFD0B0-973C-4FD1-BEE5-AE5DD5BFF500.jpeg

Grabber Lime and Grabber Green Metallic were both new in 1971 colors and would look great on a scale 1971 Mustang build.  In fact, I have an original issue AMT 1971 Mach 1 partially completed in Grabber Lime color...TB  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

My understanding is that there will be a 429 Mach 1 of some sort as a second release off this tool.   Great news for those of us (like me) who consider the 1971-72 Mustang to be one of the highlights of the 58 year Mustang family tree..... TIM

As Austin Powers would say YEAH BABY.  Anyone notice anything unusual about this grabber green metallic Mach1?

2A5A7E22-7669-4010-B80C-AC3528755FB4.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

My understanding is that there will be a 429 Mach 1 of some sort as a second release off this tool. 

I find the Revell Mustang is one of the most exciting announcements in the last few years. Really looking forward to it. It will great to finally have a decent, accurate 351 Cleveland in 1/25 scale. Hopefully we will see some proper 'Power by Ford' stamped steel rocker covers some day (but not on this Boss 351, of course). The 429 Mach I will be very welcome as well, as the gorgeous 429 from the '70 Torino needs to find its way into more kits. I'd be in for one of each (at least).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, keyser said:

High mounted turn indicators looks like export car. Don’t recall if it was called T5 then or not. Can’t be many export 429’s 

Yes the reflector was a requirement for all cars in Japan.  It’s rare for sure.  My 72 Mach1 was an export to France but there were no changes to it that I can find documented.  The Mustangs exported to Germany were T5’s because Ford did not want to pay the Truck company a ransom to buy their trademarked name.  The trademark expired in 1973 so I guess after that you could buy a Mustang II for export to Germany and not a T5.

1 hour ago, fairlane1320 said:

Yes, that's the "wrong" Grabber Green. This is the right GG..........

😆😎

1-of-1-grabber-green-1971-mustang-fastback-351c-4v-4-speed-posi-original-paint-1.jpeg.0f015e2fe4f9097a9e96bd23aba0e6b2.jpeg

Actually Grabber Green was used on 69/70 Shelby, Bosses and Mach1’s and some other style Mustangs.  The Grabber Green Metallic and Grabber Lime were new colors for 1971.  I have a friend Bob Hahn that has a Grabber Green metallic 71 Boss 351.  Here’s another 71 Mach1.  Although FORD may not have bothered to change the paint code letter in their color charts, I can assure you the 1970 Grabber green and the 1971 Grabber green metallic are very different as you can see from the pictures.  Some people have either never seen the 71 color or just do not like it but I can assure you it is the correct color for that year.  That’s not to say there were not any 71 Mustangs painted in the 70 color but the picture you posted is the first one I have seen.

318931ED-5AD9-4D92-949C-0AA1DCFC3D27.png

FD52C5E3-CA77-4AEC-AB16-217D6ABCB937.jpeg

FFBE1D97-45B5-4594-B298-F382EDB7BD73.png

58331807-4011-4604-B6F2-DB3DA1152125.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Molding it in red however is pretty annoying.  That should be left to just the snap kits as I doubt many modelers are not going to paint the body.

Should have waited for the non-007 version, which is molded in white.  Same parts except lettered tires in place of the whitewalls in the 007 kit.  I found the "new" version at Hobby Lobby (first place I saw it), bought one mainly because of the new stock wheels.  It looks better than I thought it would.  I'll drop in a 351 Cleveland (mix of parts from an AMT NASCAR kit, this kit, and an AMT Mustang), conjure up a few other parts, and live with the kit's exhaust system.  

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Should have waited for the non-007 version, which is molded in white.  Same parts except lettered tires in place of the whitewalls in the 007 kit.  I found the "new" version at Hobby Lobby (first place I saw it), bought one mainly because of the new stock wheels.  It looks better than I thought it would.  I'll drop in a 351 Cleveland (mix of parts from an AMT NASCAR kit, this kit, and an AMT Mustang), conjure up a few other parts, and live with the kit's exhaust system.  

Sounds like you have a plan but it’s a shame it takes multiple kits to make just one that is close to accurate.  Bring on the Revell Boss 351 and Mach1.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 9:49 PM, Rob Hall said:

No surprises, Round 2 did the new front end parts and wheels tooling for the JB kit, so I assumed this would be the same, just new box art and decals...

What else should we expect from Round2. Repackaging a terrible kit for the price of a new tool. Tired of Round2 and will spend my money on better kits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobbyG said:

What else should we expect from Round2. Repackaging a terrible kit for the price of a new tool. Tired of Round2 and will spend my money on better kits.

It's a business model that seems to work, though...people love the old kits w/ all their flaws because 'nostalgia'....and even if they have 4 previous issues, they have to get the new release...and there are always the newbies that are unaware that the kit is a reissue, that get drawn in by the box art.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Grabber Lime and Grabber Green Metallic were both new in 1971 colors and would look great on a scale 1971 Mustang build.  In fact, I have an original issue AMT 1971 Mach 1 partially completed in Grabber Lime color...TB  

I have the1/18 Autoworld in Grabber Lime. I changed the interior to black and gave it resin 5 slots. I like those louvers on the 1/25 model though. 

71 mach 1 ht 75%.jpg

71 mach 1 slt 75 %.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/17/2022 at 9:33 AM, Mike C. said:

I have the1/18 Autoworld in Grabber Lime. I changed the interior to black and gave it resin 5 slots. I like those louvers on the 1/25 model though. 

Nice conversion.  I know I’m beating a dead horse but where did Ertl/Autoworld ever get the idea that there are vents in the hood near the windshield on any 71-73 Mustang.  All they would have to do is look at ANY Mustang those years to realize the vents do not exist yet the history of this mistake goes all the way back to the original MPC 1/25 kit that first had this error.  Obviously creating a diecast mold in another scale (1/18) would give  the company a chance to get it right.  Many of my 1/18 diecasts are in storage but if I recall this version also has the same incorrect exhaust setup as the MPC kit.  The MPC kit for 1973 did not have the rear bumper guards (73 Mustangs only) so I’m not sure where those are from on the Autoworld diecast.  Rant over.

A8482197-4377-4BC0-AC16-ABB184CA7839.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

On 1/14/2022 at 10:31 PM, Mike C. said:

so does this one come with a 429 Cobra Jet as well? I cold have sworn I saw a set of what looked like Boss 426 valve covers with it on a vid from youtube. I would assume this was from a drag version?

Those parts are from a pro stock version MPC marketed in '72.  Some of those parts stayed in the '73 annual kit, and in the subsequent reissues.  MPC mocked up the Boss 429 on the 428 block that was already in the kit.

7 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Rex is exactly right on those colors.   Grabber Green ended its run at the end of the 1970 model year.   Grabber Green Metallic was a 1971 color, as was Grabber Lime.  TB   

I'm well versed in Ford colors, and I prefer the original Grabber Green! 😎🤩

2051892681_grabbergreencougar.jpg.c73fe29bf43f19a3216e35720bd846bc.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fairlane1320 said:

I'm well versed in Ford colors, and I prefer the original Grabber Green! 😎🤩

2051892681_grabbergreencougar.jpg.c73fe29bf43f19a3216e35720bd846bc.jpg

Personally, I like all of the Ford muscle era greens, especially the original Grabber Green.  I chose it for my own replica stock 1970 Boss 302 project, which some of you may recall was a two-part cover story in Scale Auto about 22 years or so ago....TB 

SS 8-4alt

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

It's a business model that seems to work, though...people love the old kits w/ all their flaws because 'nostalgia'....and even if they have 4 previous issues, they have to get the new release...and there are always the newbies that are unaware that the kit is a reissue, that get drawn in by the box art.  

I get it and there is nothing wrong with keeping costs down to make a profit.  But at the current prices above everything else going through the ceiling, my money is better spent on new models at the same price. On top of that, if you want accuracy, you will have to kit bash with better models which increases your cost for that kit. Until Round2 comes out with new tools or adapt the earlier ERTL detailed kits into kits we have not seen, my money will stay in my wallet.

• Like 1

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date