Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

5 hours ago, kentak said:

I talked to the Revell rep at the IPMS Nats about the release date of the '71 Boss and he said no set date yet but usually 6 months or so following the first test shot if there are no issues. It sure looks nice!

Ken

Compared to another Revell kit tooling where I was asked to critique some first-round test shots, these photos show an already very refined product.  Still, six months sounds a little optimistic to me.  In any case, certainly will be something to look forward to!   TB 

• Like 2

Back in the day, I really didn't like this series of Mustangs. I thought they were huge and just not in the spirit of the originals. But at a car show several years back, I saw a (really nice) '71 429 Mach 1 parked next to a new, 2017-ish Mustang, and the new car dwarfed the old one in every dimension. I looked at them differently after that, no longer these big, huge Torino-like cars.

I agree with all here, this model looks fabulous, especially the engine bay and chassis presentation, and my feeling when a model company puts such a major effort into a new kit is to give them business. Plenty of business.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Maindrian Pace said:

Back in the day, I really didn't like this series of Mustangs. I thought they were huge and just not in the spirit of the originals.

If you check out the dimensions of a '71 Camaro, you'll see there's not much difference in size. i wonder why the Camaro never got labeled "huge". Now I'll be the first to admit the Mustang had grown from the originals, but in '71 it was about the size of the competition.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:59 AM, Maindrian Pace said:

Back in the day, I really didn't like this series of Mustangs.

That would explain why you destroyed Eleanor so badly! 😎

On 7/26/2022 at 1:43 PM, 1972coronet said:

What about the one you lifted from the International Towers in Long Beach?

Selective memory. 👍

BTW, speaking of the original movie. I live near Long Beach and the areas where it was filmed, a lot of it still looks familiar today. So fun to recognize the areas where they drove and they are almost in chronological order, if you wanted to follow the path that he took from Long Beach to Redondo Beach, California. 

Cadillac location is gone, but I remember it was a real dealership back then and would see the license plate frames a lot around here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Interesting question.

I think it might have been 'cause the '71-'73 went out of its way to look big.  Every line on the car seems purposefully directed to emphasize length and mass.

Front and rear overhangs gotta be some of the longest ever on a 'Stang...

X2

On 7/20/2022 at 10:31 PM, vamach1 said:

Thanks for taking the pictures.  Revell has nothing up on their site yet.

4567FF90-0468-4948-AC43-D5B0C633785C.jpeg

This subject was not even on my radar, but that is cool!! B) 

It looks like the wheels are brand new, and not just recasts of the ‘70 kit, which I always thought were just a little big and a lot shallow. Maybe this kit’s wheels will look good on the old kits?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hawk312 said:

This subject was not even on my radar, but that is cool!! B) 

It looks like the wheels are brand new, and not just recasts of the ‘70 kit, which I always thought were just a little big and a lot shallow. Maybe this kit’s wheels will look good on the old kits?

The wheels still look a bit shallow to me but definitely a huge improvement over the old Monogram '70 Magnums. 

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date

The test shot was at the GTR club’s NNL today - looked really impressive, in person. Lots of nice finely-molded detail.  

Although I’m no expert in Mustangs, but it just looked WELL DONE to me.  Nice and crisp and like it’ll build up into a nice model:

D1C5F8A3-09ED-4200-A276-0C7B905EF4AA.thumb.jpeg.0c10ff2feaa119d8a53b7021a82c8afc.jpeg

Edited by CabDriver
One of my sentences didn’t make sense because I got stuck for three hours in stupid Chicago traffic coming home and I’m kinda tired. Also, NY drivers have NOTHING on Chicago drivers - I’ve never seen so many people so intent on crashing their cars
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, dbostream said:

Seems like it has taken forever to make this kit. I know nothing about making a kit is this the "normal" time frame?

It seems like longer than usual because the public was introduced to the project MUCH earlier than normal. If you go back to page 1 of this thread, it was 2 years ago that someone at Revell posted the pics of a subject vehicle as it was undergoing laser scanning. From what I remember the pictures were intended to focus on the scanning process, not the subject matter. But people quickly realized what it was they were actually scanning and the model car internet blew up with excitement. Shortly after Revell pulled the pics because they hadn't intended for the subject to be announced yet.

Add in the pandemic and this project feels like it's right on the normal project development trajectory, if you realize that we don't normally know about the subject until way more of the development process is already complete. 

• Like 2

Even though I'm not interested in this particular kit, it along with the Foose Ford and Cadillac gives me great hope for future new models. I think they learned with the Foose kits just how valuable laser scanning can be.

I'd like to see them do a proper looking '69 Mustang with the laser scanning. The face lift they gave it didn’t improve it by much. They could engineer it so that they could do both the '69 and '70 with different fascias, tail panels/lights and interiors.  

• Like 3