Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

On 8/9/2022 at 7:02 AM, stavanzer said:

"Wow let's Make a Kit of 'Belchfire 8'

A Belchfire 8, be still my heart!

Ive been wondering when one of those was going to come out.

I'd say I'm stirring to have one, but my experience is that they tend to leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Moving right along...

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2020 at 10:25 AM, Casey429 said:

Yes, very good point. Revell's rendition of the 429 in the Torino is the most accurate representation of a 385-Series Ford Big Block in scale, and it's so underused being in one car. I'd buy that in a parts pack if Revell ever decided to have another go at those. I also forgot to mention in my earlier post that I'm with iamsuperdan in that Revell needs to document the whole process, and put it on social media. Lots of toy companies make products that encourage kids to take up a career in the STEM fields, so why not show them how they produce them? Plus everyone else posts how-to's on YouTube and the like, so it just goes along with the current climate of "PUT IT ON THE INTERNET!" 

I'd watch it too, as I tend to geek out over this stuff and it's what I do for a living. Not so much the 3D scanning, but 3D printing/Rapid Prototyping and 3D modelling are what puts kits on the workbench.

Actually the Torino's 429 has one glaring problem....  There's a weird thing going on with the cylinder bank offset, so the two cylinder heads are unequal in length! Worse yet, neither head will fit the far superior Jo-Han Boss 429 block. I hope they do better should they kit a big block variation in the future 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Was that blue and silver combination the most common option on a '71 Boss? I built the original MPC kit as a kid when it was reissued in 1988 and it was in that combo on the box art. When RC2 reissued it in 2004 it was also blue/silver...and now this box art/media build.

• Raven Black: 131
  • Light Pewter Metallic: 297
  • White: 120
  • Bright Red: 186
  • Bright Blue Metallic: 246
  • Dark Green Metallic: 136
  • Medium Yellow Gold: 67
  • Grabber Blue: 131
  • Grabber Lime: 67
  • Grabber Yellow: 344
  • Grabber Green Metallic: 77
  • Calypso Coral: 4

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/boss-351

• Like 2

Looking forward to this kit of course after it was unofficially announced a few years ago.  Needless to say it looks like a much more accurate offering than the tired old AMT and MPC 50 plus year old molds.  Here are a few pictures from the Revell site.

2DFDE4C0-6EBB-4209-9DDB-3FE81F1C9F93.jpeg

087D41F1-8B1F-4C15-B415-34F99FD1517E.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fairlane1320 said:
  • Raven Black: 131
  • Light Pewter Metallic: 297
  • White: 120
  • Bright Red: 186
  • Bright Blue Metallic: 246
  • Dark Green Metallic: 136
  • Medium Yellow Gold: 67
  • Grabber Blue: 131
  • Grabber Lime: 67
  • Grabber Yellow: 344
  • Grabber Green Metallic: 77
  • Calypso Coral: 4

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/boss-351

Were not very many of these things built, were there? About 1800 of them or so?

I wonder how many Calypso Coral cars survive?

3 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

They might not have been as popular since as the name states, their only engine option was the 351. I’m sure the Mach 1 numbers are much higher.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Looking forward to this kit of course after it was unofficially announced a few years ago.  Needless to say it looks like a much more accurate offering than the tired old AMT and MPC 50 plus year old molds.  Here are a few pictures from the Revell site.

2DFDE4C0-6EBB-4209-9DDB-3FE81F1C9F93.jpeg

087D41F1-8B1F-4C15-B415-34F99FD1517E.jpeg

WOW!

That looks great! 

46 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Boss 351 owners may not agree but it was a special model (on year only) that only 1,806 buyers in these days wanted (only available with a four speed and no air conditioning) and the Mach1 looked similar and was sold in much higher numbers and could be bought with a manual or automatic with a 210hp 302 2bbl engine all the way up to the two 429 engines on the option list with all engine combos available with AC except the 429 SCJ.  Of course due to limited production numbers for the Boss and with a honestly rated 330hp it was one of the quickest muscle cars that year and hence one of the most desired 1971 Mustangs except perhaps a 429 convertible, hardtop or Mach1.  It’s not uncommon these days for low mileage and/or restored Boss 351s and 429CJ and SCJ Mustangs to sell for six figures.  The lesser know 1972 351 HO engine option was available in any Mustang body style and was essentially a lower compression version of the Boss 351 engine.  Only 398 of those R code engines made there way into Mustangs versus the much more common 351 H code and Q code variants.

I would be surprised if this kit was revised over the coming years to offer at a minimum a Mach1 version (351C and/or 429) and perhaps as an Eleanor from Gone in 60 seconds.

4502EB50-AA2A-4941-9282-1A3C41C4E644.jpeg

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, B351 said:

The Boss 351 had a higher performance version of the 351 engine and was as quick as the 429 Mach 1 but handled better. 

If you want the real thing check this out, same color as one on box but a little more expensive.

https://www.hemmings.com/listing/1971-ford-mustang-490109

The service block for that car is probably going to keep it well under the $95,000 asking price.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Was that blue and silver combination the most common option on a '71 Boss? I built the original MPC kit as a kid when it was reissued in 1988 and it was in that combo on the box art. When RC2 reissued it in 2004 it was also blue/silver...and now this box art/media build.

The MPC box art sold quite a few kits but the kit never had a true 351C Boss engine in it.  It had the base 302 engine and a 428 which is not even correct for any 1971 Mustang.  Add to that the incorrect vents in the back of the hood and that kit was mostly sizzle (decals were oaky) and little steak.

Not sure how many real cars were made of the other nine fastest muscle cars of 1971 per the list below (all under 14 second 1/4 but I do know this is the first accurate kit of a Boss 351 with the correct engine and ram air plenum and air cleaner.  Revell did make a 1970 Torino Cobra but sorry to say MPC or AMT did not make a correct 1971 Mach1 with a 429CJ or SCJ.  How many others on the list have been made in kit form?

The list if from Musclecarsillustrated.com

67371E87-6A43-48E5-BCC7-2C229BEC873A.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

On 11/16/2022 at 8:37 PM, B351 said:

The Boss 351 is the only small block on the list.

Yep.  I have a “poor mans” Boss but it’s all I could afford in 1981.  I still have my $1,650 1972 Mach1.  With todays engine building advances despite it being a 2 bolt main block with 2 bbl heads it pulled 371hp on the dyno pull (before it was installed in the car last month).  Once the engine is broken in I am curious what it will do in the 1/4 mile.  With larger after-market anti-sway bars and Koni shocks it probably handles better than a stock Boss 351.  Only things I wish it had was a four speed versus the FMX auto and A/C for hot FL weather.

ACE35E72-5155-4DF1-9FC1-DA36A9F6D774.jpeg

6BC6A342-5B5A-4302-8AAB-DC410ECBDF70.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

IIRC, @tim boyd alluded to a 429-CJ version of the '71 Mustang being in the works. 
I'm probably alone in this, but I'd like to see a separate transmission for the 429; an option of either the 4-speed or a C6.

Same here.  The C6 was also used for the 351 M and Q code engines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That Revell engine looks like a 351 WINDSOR, and not a 351 CLEVELAND engine.

The "W" as in WIndsor had the timer going THROUGH the intake manifold, but the "C" as in Cleveland had the timer going directly into the block.

A VERY nice kit nonetheless, judging by the pictures. I want one.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PintoKING said:

That Revell engine looks like a 351 WINDSOR, and not a 351 CLEVELAND engine.

Uh-oh! I just noticed that, too! That's definitely a Windsor 351 in that kit! At least the heads resemble the "335 Series" (Cleveland, 'M', and 400) -- hope that Revell fixes that!