Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

Timer?  Don't you mean "lightning whirler"?  That took me a minute.  At least you didn't call it a "dizzy".

Heads and valve covers look like Cleveland.  I bet if you painted the intake blue ahead of the first runner it would look more like that is part of the block.

(Actually a Windsor distributor does not go through the manifold.  You can remove the intake without disturbing the distributor.  I have done this.)

In the engine picture it looks like the coil is mounted to the water outlet area and the upper radiator hose is sitting on the timing cover flange.

Edited by sfhess

7 hours ago, PintoKING said:

That Revell engine looks like a 351 WINDSOR, and not a 351 CLEVELAND engine.

The "W" as in WIndsor had the timer going THROUGH the intake manifold, but the "C" as in Cleveland had the timer going directly into the block.

A VERY nice kit nonetheless, judging by the pictures. I want one.

Whoa....wait a second on this.  I can assure you that the Revell team was aware of the importance of the 351 Cleveland in developing this kit.   Like many of you, I would be thoroughly disappointed if the engine turned out to be anything less than 100% Cleveland...

Qiuck internet search includes this info:  

THREE EASY VISUAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE 351W AND 351C/351M.

• Radiator Hose. On a Cleveland/Modified engine, the radiator hose (and thermostat housing) sticks vertically right out of the top of the engine block. Windsor engines have the radiator hose and thermostat installed into the intake manifold, where it exits from the front of the engine.
  • Valve Covers. Windsor valve covers use 6-bolt covers, whereas the Cleveland/Modified uses 8-bolt covers.
  • Timing Chain. Cleveland/Modified engines have the timing chain recessed into the front of the block itself, and its timing cover is essentially just a flat piece of metal. The Windsor’s timing chain attaches to the front of the engine and has an external timing cover typically made of cast aluminum.

It is a little difficult to see from the box art side panel image, but it sure looks to me like the radiator hose sticks out of the front portion of the engine block, just as it should on a Cleveland.  

My point here is "let's be careful not to jump to definitive conclusions until we have the kit's engine parts in our hot grubby hands".  Then let the you-know-what hit the fan in the radiator shroud if applicable....

TB 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Uh-oh! I just noticed that, too! That's definitely a Windsor 351 in that kit! At least the heads resemble the "335 Series" (Cleveland, 'M', and 400) -- hope that Revell fixes that!

The radiator hose bends at ninety degrees and goes straight down.  The box art picture obscures that angle.  Don’t freak out people.

9FFE5855-9420-459E-AB0E-0C6D517B54DA.jpeg

6A151466-0041-4686-A217-AA9CE12644A2.jpeg

16 hours ago, vamach1 said:

The MPC box art sold quite a few kits but the kit never had a true 351C Boss engine in it.  It had the base 302 engine and a 428 which is not even correct for any 1971 Mustang.  Add to that the incorrect vents in the back of the hood and that kit was mostly sizzle (decals were oaky) and little steak.

Oh as an adult I'm well aware of the issues regarding that kit. It just struck me as bemusing that for a car that came in 13 colors the same one has been used 3x by what would be technically 3 different companies (I believe the MPC issue from 1988 came post merger, but pre-discontinuation of the name).

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Oh as an adult I'm well aware of the issues regarding that kit. It just struck me as bemusing that for a car that came in 13 colors the same one has been used 3x by what would be technically 3 different companies (I believe the MPC issue from 1988 came post merger, but pre-discontinuation of the name).

There is also the pre-painted Testors diecast kit pictured below which has similarities with the MPC plastic kit.  They did Mach1 and Boss version of course all of which were incorrect in several ways but they did paint them blue and also silver.  The Mach1 came in black, yellow, red and maybe more.  Nonetheless regardless of which version they all had a Boss 429 engine carried over from the MPC drag/stock car versions.  The non Ford folks out there might think why “another” Boss 351 kit.  Simple answer is because this new Revell kit is the first one that is showroom stock correct inside and out.

7B6B6C4D-1A61-4957-8B77-27EB00904050.png

Edited by vamach1

5 hours ago, vamach1 said:

The radiator hose bends at ninety degrees and goes straight down.  The box art picture obscures that angle.  Don’t freak out people.

Upon further review... I now see its ninety-degree swoop. 

Me? Freak out? It's in my blood ! We Celts are quick to ire ! Haha.

• Like 1

So, for those of us keeping score at home, Round 2 can tool a Coronet chassis where the torsion bars end three miles away from the control arms and we're all happy BUT Revell must be excoriated if their Mustang's intake manifold is almost imperceptibly off in its valley pan contour. 

Which is not to say that's not a kind of silly goof on Revell's part. But there really is a determinable bias in reactions.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

So, for those of us keeping score at home, Round 2 can tool a Coronet chassis where the torsion bars end three miles away from the control arms and we're all happy BUT Revell must be excoriated if their Mustang's intake manifold is almost imperceptibly off in its valley pan contour. 

Which is not to say that's not a kind of silly goof on Revell's part. But there really is a determinable bias in reactions.

First off I think the point of your comment is legit at times.

For this specific case the 351 Clevland engine is supposed to be one of the highlights of the Mach 1 kit so a perceived error is disappointing.

The 68 Coronet is intended to be a clone of the original kit with some improvements so the poor detail (no detail) of the front suspension is not a disappointment.

Honestly if the Mustang and Coronet bodies are proportionately correct I will be happy and I will buy many of them. I am a Mopar guy and I still can't get past the front fender issues with the Revell 70 Cuda.

Carmak

5 hours ago, Carmak said:

First off I think the point of your comment is legit at times.

For this specific case the 351 Clevland engine is supposed to be one of the highlights of the Mach 1 kit so a perceived error is disappointing.

The 68 Coronet is intended to be a clone of the original kit with some improvements so the poor detail (no detail) of the front suspension is not a disappointment.

Honestly if the Mustang and Coronet bodies are proportionately correct I will be happy and I will buy many of them. I am a Mopar guy and I still can't get past the front fender issues with the Revell 70 Cuda.

Carmak

I’ve yet to see a kit that is perfect especially if it is based upon an older car where plans are not available to make an exact clone. I’m looking at all the fantastic details that would have been overlooked in most kits like the rev limiter, voltage regulator, coil, horns, starter solenoid, ram air plenum, etc.  The only downside is now when I look at all the MPC and AMT 71-73 kits in my collection I may lose all interest in building any of them.  My only hope is I can get at least three of the Boss kits at a good price.  We have not seen a closeup of the kit part but for those that want to modify it to look like the EOM part here is what it should look like.

3180A6E6-4A9E-46AD-B97A-0AEA0C07AE70.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

On 11/17/2022 at 12:48 PM, PintoKING said:

My questioning of the inacuracies of the Revell's 351C engine were a bit too early.

I now see that the only "problem" is with the timer going THROUGH the inkake manifold; an easy-enough thing to correct when building the kit.

My apologies to all involved.

PintoKING

Nothing a dab of Ford Blue paint can't fix

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

The only downside is now when I look at all the MPC and AMT 71-73 kits in my collection I am lose all interest in building any of them. 
One interesting item on the MPC 428 engine is the presence of the Therm-Actor A.I.R. system.
 We have not seen a closeup of the kit part [intake manifold] but for those that want to modify it to look like the EOM part here is what it should look like
Did that same intake find its way onto the 1972 351-CJ? I recognise the 1971 part number casting [D1ZX] -- it that exclusive to the 1971 351 H.O. (et al.)? Does the '72 351-CJ have a D2ZX casting?

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I guess the December date may be pushed back to the end of the first quarter.  😒

20CC9BA7-454E-45A2-B64B-57336A30F294.png

Hi Rex!

I wonder if that's the US release date? Most Revell kits are released in Europe well ahead of their release here. The Olds 442 was out in Germany at least 2 months before the US boxed version.

58 minutes ago, Dave Toups said:

Hi Rex!

I wonder if that's the US release date? Most Revell kits are released in Europe well ahead of their release here. The Olds 442 was out in Germany at least 2 months before the US boxed version.

The kit #07699 is an RG #, my Audi Etron is #07698, so it looks like it's been pushed back, unless the US release does come first.

Edited by Jhedir6

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Should be any day now and look what’s already in the works.  Pictures found on Facebook posted by Ryan Boyd.

Not sure if the 66 Shelby will be too different releases by the 71 Mach1 should be as awesome as the new Boss 351.

83DBA3F8-4A7C-4F94-B46B-3DF828DBECBD.jpeg

C2C26A8F-CA82-4B95-8163-B0838E57E2FA.jpeg

52DC45A1-52EF-4E1F-86D4-7FE5ADDDFFB2.jpeg

Funny how the scale changes between both '71 Mustang releases. ;)