Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

Looking at those reference pics of the 1:1 with all of those image registration spots attached makes me extremely curious how the entire scanning process goes to get from that 1:1 to a ready to use 1/25 mold that styrene can be poured into to pop-out kits.

Edited by '70 Grande

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

Because these are the only two that were offered on the Boss 351. The "sports" wheel covers were 14" and the Boss 351 had 15" wheels. I have no clue why we now have pics of two "Boss 351s" with these covers unless they are both impostors. Rex?

image.png.a04f9340c2317b6fc598ebd1df700859.png

So are you saying there is no way a Boss 351 came with those? From what I can tell, you could pretty much get them all, with the Mag ones being the high end option. And yes, not all Fords came with those Mags and yet that is all we ever see. 

Kudos to Revell if they stick with these and keep it unique. 

38 minutes ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Does Revell USA have anything to do with kit design/manufacturing these days?

Thought they were just marketing/sales related. Not in the loop like some here,

but I'd be all in on a decent '71 Mustang. Just can't see it happening looking at

the global view. Fingers crossed on this?

Revell U.S. continues to develop projects, Germany approves (or denies) and provides the funding. 

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

Because these are the only two that were offered on the Boss 351. The "sports" wheel covers were 14" and the Boss 351 had 15" wheels. I have no clue why we now have pics of two "Boss 351s" with these covers unless they are both impostors. Rex?

image.png.a04f9340c2317b6fc598ebd1df700859.png

I'd suspect it's the same Boss 351 in both pictures. That's not a barn find Revell has, you have to apply "dust" to something shiny (like a car) to keep the scanner from picking up false positive reflections and so it only focuses on the markers.

33 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

Looking at those reference pics of the 1:1 with all of those image registration spots attached makes me extremely curious how the entire scanning process goes to get from that 1:1 to a ready to use 1/25 mold that styrene can be poured into to pop-out kits.

The scanning produces the data needed to create masters from which the kit will be designed.  It replaces creating the masters by hand, from measurements and drawings.  The kit still has to be designed: assemblies like the engine, chassis, and interior still have to be broken down into individual parts that can be molded like any other car kit.

56 minutes ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Does Revell USA have anything to do with kit design/manufacturing these days?

Thought they were just marketing/sales related. Not in the loop like some here,

but I'd be all in on a decent '71 Mustang. Just can't see it happening looking at

the global view. Fingers crossed on this?

I do know Ed Sexton is a Ford guy.....or was when I did some work for him.

I have a different question...........Why the different method of announcing a new kit??? Talking about a kit this early is VERY different!!! I know when RM came to a buddies house to do the drawings for a new kit (olden days!)  it was super secret mission and not public info for a year!!!! 

I guess if the announcement flopped they just have the scan cost lost?!?!?!?!

1 minute ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Wheel covers? Really, is that what concerns you?

That's what I was thinking! They are just starting the 3-D scanning process, and they're already whining about Revell putting the wrong wheels in a new kit.  I have a huge box of almost every kind of wheel you can imagine, plus another hundred kits with extra wheels in them, so as far as i care, they don't have to put any wheels in it at all. JUST MAKE IT!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Me neither, which just about ensures that it will be THE MOST accurate kit Revell has done in decades, with none of the annoying eyesore flaws they included on their various Chevies! :lol:

Come on Snake - get on the bandwagon like Cobraman will. ?  I will say the Boss 351 was short lived but it was one of the best factory engines that was not a big-block to come out in the 70’s.  With the Z28 and TransAm’s and AMX’s and Challenger TA’s roaming the streets it was an era not seen again for decades.  Non Ford diehardS may not know the Boss 351 name was dropped in 1972 but the engine was renamed the 351HO (or High Output) but with lower compression and was an option in any Mustang body style in 1972 but not many were built as buyers may have just opted for the standard 351C 4v that year which was available with a C6 automatic.  I guess Ford realized buyers were buying more Mach1’s (most of which had the 351 with a 500 cfm 2 barrel carb and a FMX automatic) and most people were not interested in car that would do zero to 100 in 14 seconds for fear maybe those hubcaps would fall off. ?  

Edited by vamach1

If there are some Ford muscle car enthusiasts beyond the USA, (small percentage)

They seem to not like the old molds from the likes of AMT, Revell, etc..(me too)

they expect the typical Tamiya quality kits, just plain better engineered kits.

There is no way that every car we want will be re-kitted or re-improved by the

usaul suspects. But this one I hope they can carry out. ?

29 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Come on Snake - get on the bandwagon like Cobraman will. ?  I will say the Boss 351 was short lived but it was one of the best factory engines that was not a big-block to come out in the 70’s.  With the Z28 and TransAm’s and AMX’s and Challenger TA’s roaming the streets it was an era not seen again for decades.  Non Ford diehardS may not know the Boss 351 name was dropped in 1972 but the engine was renamed the 351HO (or High Output) but with lower compression and was an option in any Mustang body style in 1972 but not many were built as buyers may have just opted for the standard 351C 4v that year which was available with a C6 automatic.  I guess Ford realized buyers were buying more Mach1’s (most of which had the 351 with a 500 cfm 2 barrel carb and a FMX automatic) and most people were not interested in car that would do zero to 100 in 14 seconds for fear maybe those hubcaps would fall off. ?  

Running a 351HO with a 4 speed and 3.91:1 rear end, I was more concerned about the fuel bill if I tried to get to 100 mph! The tach would show 3200-3400 RPM while driving in the 60-65 mph range, and that engine loved to drink fuel.

The hubcaps never flew off on mine. Some low-life stole the tires, rims, and caps from the car while it was in winter storage. When we sold the car, it was riding on generic steelies with a set of five-slot aluminum wheels in the trunk (which I think came off an AMC product).

54 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

A friend of mine has a Q code 72 Cougar.  It moves pretty well.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

The scanning produces the data needed to create masters from which the kit will be designed.  It replaces creating the masters by hand, from measurements and drawings.  The kit still has to be designed: assemblies like the engine, chassis, and interior still have to be broken down into individual parts that can be molded like any other car kit.

Indeed, the scanning of the body just gives you the skin of the car, so now the design works start to give it guts.

11 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Oh my.  Dreams may come true.  The hubcaps in this picture are no big deal as most Boss 351’s that have been restored have either the trim ring and hub cap or the chrome and black Magnum 500’s with Goodyear or Firestone F60-15 tires.  I am pretty excited if this kit comes out in the next year or so as is will probably lead to a Mach1 version which would be only slightly different (front bumper and hood paint name a few things).  Here are specs I found on line.  Hopefully the model will not have the standard steering wheel and standard interior which you expect to see in a striped down 6 cylinder coupe.  The decor Group or “deluxe” interior and the optional rim-blow steering wheels are much nicer looking.  I have never seen the argent painted Magnum 500’s on a 1971 Boss 351 but I could not say for sure if none came with them.  Also, the rear spoiler was not standard and  the fold down rear seat was an option but all of them came with the space saver spare tire.  I am pretty sure all 1,806 built  had the rear fold down seat.  The book Boss Mustangs but Donald Farr only spent a page and a half on the Boss 351 and the rest of the 170 plus pages on the 69-70 Bosses and 2012-2013 models.  Everyone knows I am biased when it comes to 71-73 Mustangs but the 351 was faster in the 1/4 mile than the 69 or 70 Boss 302 and was ignored because Ford pulled out of the TramsAm racing series and Bunkie was out and Iacocca was more interested in developing and selling the much smaller Mustang II In 1974 that did not even have a V8 engine as an option.  As for the T/A Boss 302’s, they were race cars and only resembled their street namesakes to sell cars.

7B9A3010-4DEE-4C57-BA95-F8500E29C384.jpeg

C9BC58B6-1F48-4444-AD6F-C8263FEDD88F.jpeg

CBC6897D-7815-4BC7-B6AD-2D08EF369A5A.jpeg

Wow.. No mention of the drag pack option....☹️?

I'm pretty sure Ford had that for the BOSS-351....

6 hours ago, sfhess said:

Watch out.  Someone is bound to complain about your choice of wheels......

MANY have!!!!  These were on it when I bought it in 1993.....not my favorite.....unlimited $$$ I'd have Minilite's!!! But I do like the smooth no lug look....so they stay. I do have a alternative I may swith to.....someday!! thx

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date