Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Revell Ferrari F2002

This is my current commission build of the Ferrari F2002 with the Brian Fawcett detail set. The model will have some additional detailing such as electrical wiring and carbon fibre decal work. 

Anybody that has attempted this kit will know that the model has a lot of fitment issues, I didn't realize how bad it was going to be until I got into the build. 

I started by removing the paint from the pre painted red body parts. 

IMG-20200714-112755.jpg

The front end of the chassis does fit rather well, a little tweaking needed, the main issue was getting the engine cover to line up with the floor and front section. I have had to split the engine cover in two down the top line to change the angle and cut the side pods so they could be realigned to match correctly.

IMG-20200714-173458.jpg

After many days of filling, sanding, filling, etc I feel as if I have got the fit to a respectable level. 

IMG-20200814-150728.jpg

IMG-20200820-141047.jpg

Now the main body work changes have been completed I have been able to work on the engine, gearbox and fuel tank ready for fitting. 

IMG-20200827-115739.jpg

And also the seat, the customer has supplied a set of MFH seatbelts to replace the very poor kit parts. I have also flocked the seat and arm pads, and added carbon decals to the cockpit sides. 

IMG-20200827-102609.jpg

I should now be able to move this build on pretty quickly, next step is the suspension, I will add some more photos when I have that completed. 

IMG-20200830-185029.jpg 
IMG-20200830-192856.jpg

Thanks, and if anyone has build this model before, please let me know as I would like to know if the same issues were apparent with fitment that I have had with this one. 

Chris
http://www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be watching this build as I also have the Brian Fawcett resin trans- kit. I also have the Thunder Valley Brake up-grade set and the SMS up-grade & Decal set. Once i finish my "Honey Do" list, I can get back to building and mybe get started on this one. Good luck on building this kit. I've heard others who have built it , that it took a long time to get parts to fit right.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on the troublesome Revell Ferrari F2002. 

I have now hopefully got  most of the fitment issues with this kit sorted and have been able to move forward, painting the front chassis in zero paints F2002 red  and joining that to the floor section and at the same time positioning the fuel tank and engine. 

IMG-20200922-175312.jpg

The seat fits without any issues and the wheel and decals provided are of a good standard and level of detail. I also added a water pipe and electrical cable. 

IMG-20200922-175327-1.jpg
IMG-20200922-175336.jpg

The front suspension also went together without any major issues, with the detail set parts easily replacing the standard brake ducts, hubs and discs. 

I have now been able to start adding a little extra detailing, the air intakes have had carbon fiber decals added. The radiators are ok,  but not the best. I believe the photo etched set that is available would be a nice addition to include grills on them,  but we are not using it for this build. 

IMG-20200922-175318.jpg

To conclude I'm happy with how it is taking shape, as I've previously mentioned its a very troublesome kit and I wouldn't take it on unless you are prepared for a lot of work and a fair bit of frustration.  Next step is to get the rear suspension fitting, There is a small piece of bodywork which sits on the top of the gearbox so no doubt that will have some fitment issues getting it to line up correctly with the engine cover. 

IMG-20200922-175305.jpg

Fingers crossed I can get this finished quickly. 

Thanks
Chris
www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
www.wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, the F2002 was finished a few weeks ago, here are some photos of the finished model. 

IMG-20201014-091207.jpg
IMG-20201014-091350.jpg
IMG-20201014-092443.jpg
IMG-20201014-092421.jpg
IMG-20201014-091229.jpg

Everything went together well in the final part of the build. The decals are probably the best part of the kit!!! All in all turned out pretty well considering the poor quality of the standard kit. 

Thanks
Chris
www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com