Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell completely new Mustang coming

6 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Nothing wrong with telling the car companies what you want, but yes, there's no need to be rude about it.

As for going with a Mustang, a few thoughts.

There are going to be certain modelling subjects that figure prominently in the public imagination.  For example, if you make plane kits, you'd better have a Bf-109 in your catalogue.   And as far as cars go, everyone knows what a Mustang is, and almost everyone likes Mustangs.  You see a nicely restored early Mustang drive by,  and I would defy even the biggest car hating tree hugger not to have a smile spread across their face.  So I would suggest that from a business standpoint,  It is probably a better choice than that base model '87 Borin Gazelle, no matter how special that bonding moment with your dad may have been.

Has it been done before?  As a few people have mentioned before, it hasn't necessarily been done right.  We got by for decades with AMT's '40 Ford kit, and maybe even thought it was fine, then Revell brought out their '40 Ford, and we realized how much better it could be.

I'm also going to toss out the possibility that, just maybe, this forum does not represent the sum total of the modeling universe.  There may well be people out there who don't have a basement full of Mustang kits.  There may very well even be people who don't have any Mustang kits at all, and might want to build one.

The fact that the new owners of Revell still wants to invest money into new kits, and still cater to the North American market,  is still encouraging.

I thought it was an ME-109.... ??

I don't understand why people moan about the "new" Mustang.  Sony actually bothered enough to model the 1971 Mustang Mach 1 as a premium car from Gran Turismo 5 onwards, with a detailed interior since GT6.  The thing must have some global appeal across age groups.

10 hours ago, fumi said:

I don't understand why people moan about the "new" Mustang.  Sony actually bothered enough to model the 1971 Mustang Mach 1 as a premium car from Gran Turismo 5 onwards, with a detailed interior since GT6.  The thing must have some global appeal across age groups.

Well there are several movies with 71-73 Mustangs in them.  Imagine if the John Wick movies had one.  I hear F&F nine has a 71 Mach in it.

As many of you may or may not know I have owned two 72 Mach1’s, two 72 Sprint convertibles and one 73 convertible in the last 40 years.

The only one I still have is the 2nd 72 Mach1 I bought in 1981.

3BD02ECF-2778-4FBC-8399-AD0883DC66F8.jpeg

2 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

Cool!.... And it's got the RAM-AIR package.... Does it have the 2-bbl carb also????..... The '73 I bought for my "x" had that....

Yes it does Have the Ram-Air and also the fold down rear seat.  Those darn government emissions regulators would not let Ford offer the Ram-Air with the 4V (which seems odd) so since most Mach1’s came with the 2V heads I guess someone figured they may as well use them on something.  My 1st 72 Mach (bought used in 76) was also a 351C 2V but without the ram air.  I guess I was not impressed with the 1974 100hp V6 Mustang II Mach1 enough to buy one used Instead.?  As I was 18 and had friends with muscle cars I thought the yellow 72 Mach1 looked so cool and while certainly not a tire shredder with the 2bbl Cleveland it got me hooked on them for now going on 44 years.  The blacked out hood and spoilers and side stripes add a more aggressive look to the one I have now versus the first one I had that only had the stripes and front spoiler.  I painted the front bumper and trim black which is still not as embarrassing as that blue tuxedo. ?  Ah the 70’s.

I sold that one In the 80’s and bought the Ram-Air one I still have today.

84C6C7A8-EFDC-427A-82B5-4D3854A92623.jpeg

The project is very much a "go" for Revell.   

While there are plenty of model car experts here on this Forum who would prefer a more, shall we say, eccentric or specialized kit topic, Mustang kits have always been best sellers for the model car companies (just like putting Mustangs on the cover of buff books always guarantees a top selling newstand issue). 

Plus, let's face it, the existing '71/'72 Mustang kit choices are essentially five decades old in their quality and content.  Plus, the '71/'72 Mustang 351 Cleveland and '71 Mach 1 429 Cobra Jets are now rapidly gaining interest (finally!) in the collector car market, which is a good sign for potential kit sales.  And, we've never had a full detail Boss 351 kit done correctly, ever.   This is a very big hole in the model car marketplace, and it's great that someone is finally stepping up to fill it with a model kit built to contemporary market expectations.   

I have heard this kit subject was on Revell's future kit topics list, even going back as far as 15 years ago or so, and it certainly moved up in priority during this last decade.  Glad to see it finally underway, and even gladder to hear that they are doing it right by scanning the exterior body proportions and design language.   Let's hope the final execution lives up to our expectations! 

TIM

Of course everyone knows I am all in on this exciting news that has been going around the rumor mills for years.  Glad to help in ANY way to see this kit and the 71-73 Mustangs be recognized as a good value in the collector car market.  I see folks buying 71-73 sportsroofs as project cars they will spend ten of thousands restoring and unless it has one of the desired engines the most common Mach1 like the one I have (H code with FMX auto) in good condition can be bought over and over for under $20K.