Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mission Impossible - American Graffiti cop car from a wreck

alan barton

I can't believe it has been four months since I posted here but to tell the truth, that windshield opening gave a bit of a kick in the guts.  Anyhow, our show is definitely on on July 18 so I had better get a move on. 

I spent last night working out my moves.  I really didnt want to split the roof, especially as the rear window had come out so nicely.  I wrapped Tarheel Rick's windshield in masking tape and then removed the front posts altogether and separated the B pillar from the door line.  I then taped the windshield in place and pulled the roof down to where it belonged.  Then, using any plastic scraps that looked like they would fit, I glued a bunch of stuff directly onto the roof and screen and that is where I will leave it until next weekend.  Hopefully the windshield will release painlessly and I will start reworking the front of the roof to match the screen.  It's not pretty! Wish me luck!

Cheers

Alan

20210328_220154[1].jpg

Edited by alan barton

• 2 months later...

Got a bit sidetracked on other projects but the Galaxie got its last coat of primer today - I think!  The roof widening and post straightening is good for about a B+ but with less than two months to go I need to get a wriggle on!

I also started carving up two Monogram Sprint car drivers to man the cop car, so to speak.  This involved straightening the knee joint, straightening and repositioning the arms for a braced position, pie cutting the ankles to get the feet to fit the floor , hollowing out his back to better conform to the seat and doing similar plastic surgery on his derriere! It is far from pretty at this stage but putty should fix most sins.  Fun fact - Holstein, the officer in the movie, is wearing a short sleeve shirt and a black bow tie - how normal was that for an American police officer in 1962?  Our guys used to have to wear a long tie and long sleeves summer or winter although it is different these days.

You can also see the front seat - it started life as the back seat in an unknown interior tub the pleats had a passing resemblance to the stock rear seat and with them mostly being covered by police officers that was good enough for this job. I also cut up one of the original bucket seats to widen the rear seat where I removed the convertible hood mounting compartments. I sprayed them flat black and then misted them with a Testors Tan so that plenty of shadows would show on the upholstery.  You can just make out some of the work I have done so far on the door panels. again, they will be near enough for this job.  The dash cluster housing has been widened to more closely represent a 61 dash - a print from the Internet will be used for the instruments themselves.

Cheers

Alan

20210529_225313[1].jpg

An amazing transformation. I just spent the last 40 minutes enjoying your progress on this cool project. When I saw the opening photo of what you started with, I thought “no way”. You’ve shown me wrong. Impressive effort. 

Thank you Bob, thank you Trevor.  Funny how an American cop car built by an Aussie is appealing to Americans, Canadians, British,Welsh and Swedish modellers! 

Unfortunately today has turned into a real winter's day, cold and wet, so although I did get my primer on I ma going to wait until later in the week to do a final rub down with 800 and get the white paint on.

In the meantime I thought I would tackle the dash.  A few weeks ago I extended the 63 instrument housing with plastic and putty and cut out a photocopy of a 61 Galaxie instrument cluster from the internet.  It isn't particularly clear but it gives the right effect.  I found an under dash radio, from the AMT 53 Ford Pickup I think or maybe the Monogram 55, either way, the one with a telephone style handset on it.  I sliced off the phone and made a more two -way radio like handpiece from a pedal, with a strip of fine coiled wire for the cord.  Pretty happy with the final result, just enough detail to create interest, even if no-one ever looks inside!

Cheers

Alan

20210530_131550[1].jpg

20210530_132023[1].jpg

20210530_134559[1].jpg

Edited by alan barton

Good job on the radio  !  

11 hours ago, alan barton said:

Thank you Bob, thank you Trevor.  Funny how an American cop car built by an Aussie is appealing to Americans, Canadians, British,Welsh and Swedish modellers! 

Early 60's Fords are very popular and four doors + a cop car make it even more so .  But it's your cuttin' and body work that really makes this a great build !

• 4 weeks later...

Another month passes by and I now have less than twenty months to go.  You know that final coat of primer I put on weeks ago?  Well, lets just say there has been at least another four final coats since then!  Seems that lumps keep appearing as well as evidence of previous bodywork.  We will see what happens tomorrow!

I have also been doing some work on the door panels and got them painted tonight. I might have mentioned that I used Steve Guthmiller's technique of first cuutting the side panels off the interior tub and then using pieces of styrene and some saw cuts to represent the interior patterns of a 61 Galaxie.  

.  I glued some short pieces of angled styrene to the bottom of the floor to assist with re-assembly.  I have been trying to get Holstein and his offsider finished but they keep fighting me as far as positioning in the car is concerned so I am going to get those side panels glued back on tomorrow so that I can mock up the dash more securely and get the boys locked in.

Cheeers

Alan

20210629_210408[1].jpg

20210628_201051[1].jpg

20210628_213558[1].jpg

20210629_195656[1].jpg

Thank you, David and Bill.  Yes, I have pushed myself to try a lot of new things on this model.  It won't be perfect but considering what I started with I am pretty happy so far.

Had a bit of a set back tonight when trying to fit the windshield that TarheelRick generously sent me.  Turns out my roof had a distinct droop on the passenger side - I have no idea why I never saw it before but there it was!  The only solution was to cut the post free and slip a 2mm slice of Evergreen in the gap to force the roof up, drown it with superglue and then start carving and sanding. 

It's not looking very pretty at the moment but we will see what primer shows in the morning.

Cheers

Alan

20210630_203124[1].jpg

20210630_203713[1].jpg

20210630_224234[1].jpg

20210630_224313[1].jpg

Alan, you mentioned several countries, where modellers are exited when following your ambitious build. You can now add atleast one modeller from Finland, as I today spotted your build and read it through instantly. 

So fantastic job so far. I also like to make quite big conversions with my kits, so it's fun to see your work. Keep it on! 

On 10/13/2020 at 12:22 AM, alan barton said:

Interesting to see that it has a Y block, not an FE series engine, and that it has a different rear window pillar and glass treatment to the Graffiti car.  I wonder if Ford changed design mid year - hard to imagine why you would have two otherwise identical four door sedans but for the back window?

Hi Alan,

Just discovered this thread. Very nice job on your conversion so far!

I can give you some closure on your rear window dilemma.

The two different roof lines were dependent on whether the car was a Fairlane (or lower line full size Ford), or if it was a Galaxie. My thought is that the Graffiti police car didn't start out as police car, but was converted as a prop.

Anyway, once again, nice work, and my best wishes to you making your deadline! 

Edited by Dave Darby

Thanks for that information, Dave, that makes perfect sense!  It seems rather indulgent to go to all that trouble when it really made no difference whatsoever to the operation of the car but hey, I guess the American auto industry was close to at its peak in that era so they just did it anyway!  Now that I think about it, a small number of our home grown Aussie sedans in the late sixties/early seventies had formal rooflines on an otherwise standard four door sedan so we weren't immune to it either.

Glad you are enjoying the build.  I will be glad when it is finished because it is distracting me from other more worthy hot rod projects but it certainly ahs been a learning experience!

Thank you, Ismo, for your comments.  I always enjoyed the builds of Juha Airio, one of your countrymen, I believe.

Cheers

Alan

You're dead right there, David!  It cleaned up surprisingly well and a light coat of primer today revealed a fairly invisible repair - phheww!  Unfortunately it also revealed a few highs and lows on the roof, just a little smaller than the Rockies but disturbing none the less.  I hate to think that it might be old age but as I knew there were some issues on the roof and as I shadow coated it and then blocksanded the entire roof til it was silky smooth, I thought, I do question how I missed such obviuos flaws.  it was another bummer to find that, Iike the kids in the back of a station wagon on vacation, I wasn't there yet!

Doing some more block sanding tonight and then I will try again tomorrow.

Cheers

Alan

On 6/30/2021 at 10:52 AM, alan barton said:

Turns out my roof had a distinct droop on the passenger side - I have no idea why I never saw it before but there it was

That happens to me! You didn’t see it because you’ve been looking at that body too long! Thus everything about it seems normal.  I’ve had projects I’ve packed away and pulling them back out after a few years the first thing I see is some blooper I swear I never noticed before. 

Edited by Tom Geiger

I might try that Bob! Thanks to Tom and Henry for the support.  I am working at home at the moment because our employee feels it is easier for us to work from home rather than come to work and wear masks inside all day SO - I got some primer on at lunchtime, dodging the winter rains we have been experiencing all week.

I'm too scared to say that this is the last coat of primer because if I read back through this I think it would be the fourth of fifth time I have said that! So here is how it looked this afternoon.  Hopefully white primer and white Tamiya acrylic tomorrow - fingers crossed!

20210702_102857[1].jpg

20210707_135817[1].jpg

20210707_135824[1].jpg

Tonight I am working on Holstein and his partner getting a seat in the car.  I thought Holstein was finished but somewhere along the way his right arm has squeezed in so there is some more surgery to be done.

I started with a pair of Monogram sprintcar drivers. The heads are from the Revell Germany firefighters set - you only get one in the box so a friend of mine , Tony from AAA resin casting, made me two copies. 

There is not a lot you can photograph when doing figure conversions.  You just cut shape, glue sand, cut off the part and position it again until finally everything looks right.  I use Testor's tube glue to give me some time to push things around and then when I am happy, I lock it up with superglue.

Cheers

Alan

20210701_212728[1].jpg

20210707_203133[1].jpg

20210707_203449[1].jpg