Model Cars Magazine Forum

Since I don't have a real hobby store within 100 miles...

I'm looking for an online hobby source for paint and other supplies (right now, BMF and the new Tamiya thin masking tape, to name a few).  

Who's got the best selection of model products, good prices and reasonable, timely shipping?  

35 minutes ago, mr moto said:

I'm pretty happy with www.scalehobbyist.com . Their prices and service are great. The recommendation to get foil directly from Bare Metal is also great advice.

I agree that scalehobbyist.com is my first choice. Second choice would be Hobbylinc.com. This is not the Japanese company - they are in Braselton, Georgia.

I've got about $100 worth of Tamiya spray paint coming from Hobbylinc right now. ?
Shipping via FedEx ground for the same price as USPS.

2 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

I agree that scalehobbyist.com is my first choice. Second choice would be Hobbylinc.com. This is not the Japanese company - they are in Braselton, Georgia.

I use the Georgia HobbyLinc a lot.  An order from them is incoming right now.  Free Time Hobbies is also good (and also in Georgia) and I sometimes use Megahobby. 

I like to waste time hitting the various vendor websites, comparing prices and looking for Clearance items.  Prices are generally within a couple of bucks of each other, unless one outfit is having a sale.

HobbyLinc has Special/Clearance sales all the time. You'd better be quick, when a kit goes on sale it often sells out fast. HobbyLinc has the Revell Foose Cadillac on sale for $18.29 right now.

A company I've recently used is Andy's Hobby Headquarters.  They don't have a huge car kit selection, but they do carry Belkits, Aoshima and Revell. They ship VERY quickly and have some neat videos on their site.  This link will take you directly to the Car/Bike kits.  One annoyance:  in the car listings they include "other scales" like 1/35 and 1/144.

https://andyshhq.com/collections/cars-bikes

Along these lines, does anyone know if "Detailer" fluid (paint) is still available?  I have a bottle of black that I use often and want to find another soon.  Kinda like Tamiya panel line paint.  

At one time, I had blue, red, and black.   The blue and red weren't all that useful.  

I buy a lot of my stuff on ebay or Amazon.

Many times you can stumble across some very good deals.

Even if you prefer to stick with an online hobby shop, it's worth checking ebay occasionally.

There are a lot of little hobby stores that you will stumble across there that you didn't even know existed.

Steve

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I buy a lot of my stuff on ebay or Amazon.

Many times you can stumble across some very good deals.

During lockdown I placed a few supply orders via eBay. I just searched for the items I needed and would order from the cheapest source with free shipping. 

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

During lockdown I placed a few supply orders via eBay. I just searched for the items I needed and would order from the cheapest source with free shipping. 

I do exactly the same thing.

Free shipping is one of the first things that I look for.

You have to be careful about checking shipping costs before you buy.

There's nothing worse than spending $8.00 shipping on a $4.00 item. :angry:

It's also a good idea to at least give a quick glance at the sellers feedback.

You don't want to send your money to some joker that has had a lot of issues with buyers in the past.

Steve

Does the 100-mile away store have a website or do phone orders? I bought a kit on e-Bay some time ago and discovered that it came from a LHS in SoCal. Since then, I have ordered directly from them several times. I like that I am supporting a LHS that is smart enough to handle 21st Century e-commerce, and being on the west coast, I get my stuff a lot quicker than if I ordered from Mega Hobby or one of the east coast companies.

It was several months into the shutdown before I discovered that my LHS decided they were essential and never closed. Some of the stuff I got online I could have purchased locally.

10 hours ago, randyc said:

Along these lines, does anyone know if "Detailer" fluid (paint) is still available?  I have a bottle of black that I use often and want to find another soon.  Kinda like Tamiya panel line paint.  

At one time, I had blue, red, and black.   The blue and red weren't all that useful.  

HobbyLinc has 8 different colors of The Detailer washes.  But none of them are Black or Brown, which is weird.  I checked a couple of other online vendors but they didn't carry The Detailer, or didn't have any in stock.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?cat_s=&str_s=the+detailer

12 hours ago, Mike999 said:

HobbyLinc has 8 different colors of The Detailer washes.  But none of them are Black or Brown, which is weird.  I checked a couple of other online vendors but they didn't carry The Detailer, or didn't have any in stock.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?cat_s=&str_s=the+detailer

Excellent.   I was missing the proper search terms apparently.  I did find black listed on this dollhouse site.  https://www.dollhouseminiatures.com/supplies/detailer.htm

With a llittle more to go on, I found this part of the site to open.  The home page will not open, so I have no idea if you could order from here or not.  http://www.thedetailer.net/order.htm.  no answer at phone number at 8:55 am EDT today.  Just rang til call disconnected.  

Edited by randyc