Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 88 Mustang Had A Boo Boo

So a couple of weeks ago a lady in a SUV made a left hand turn (crossing 2 double yellow lines) right in front of me. BAM..........I was so mad. Anyway, after all the  negotiations were over they accessed my 88 5.0 vert at $6000 based on other similar ones that have sold recently (BlueBook goes back to 1992).

So after fees, taxes and scrap value (it was "totaled") I'm getting $4792.50 and of course keeping her. Funny, I already found a used hood for $50.  The rad support is a bit bent inward but I think I can use my friends winch on his PU to bend it back. 

Stay safe out there guys and watch out for old lady's in SUV's.     

RbOrJLV.jpg

Edited by webestang

My wife's uncle was hit by the same teenage girl twice in one year. Both times he is sitting at a light and she runs into him while texting and chatting with her girlfriend. What are the odds of that?????????

PS: I see you are in St Louis...............spent 2 months at beautiful Ft Leonard Wood outside of Rolla back in 1966 right before I went to Vietnam. Haven't been back since.?

Edited by Vietnam Vet67

Glad you're saving her. It's insane what repairs cost now (even though I'm in the business), and it seems like every body shop is looking to retire on every job these days.

I just saved a '96 Miata that totaled at close to $7000 for less damage than you have there.

LOTS of nice old cars are getting gone because of that, and the insurance companies not wanting to pay.

Stated-value insurance is getting to be a viable option, especially if you have multiple vehicles.

The annual mileage limits used to be around 1500-2500, but there are some policies that go as high as 10,000. If you have 3 old vehicles, that's plenty of annual mileage, and it can be cheaper than insuring just one "real" car.

Time has passed, and laws vary from state-to-state, but I had my '68 on my regular policy when I had it. My agent dissuaded me from a collector's policy because they can have lots of restrictions. Like not driving 1 mile to the grocery store. Not driving it to work occasionally on a sunny Friday. All I had to do was get the car appraised, and the insurance company accepted the appraisal as the agreed to value. The female owner of the Mustang parts house a few miles away was certified as an appraiser, and I was OK with the number she came up with. IIRC I was limited to 5000 miles/year.

Big thing is  you are OK....

NADA has a classic car book that is used for older cars. It's kinda a 'suggestion' book. My insurance  guy used the Classic book as a start for value on my collector cars. They then had me find some cars that sold at auctions. That and some other data we arrived at a value before anything happened....'Agreed Value' as such. 

Hope this is the last time you need the info but keep it in mind. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 6:19 PM, webestang said:

Well, after negotiations I get to keep her (she was totaled) and the insurance is giving me a payout of $4792.50 based on an appraisal of $6000. Not bad cause I just wanted $1200 to buy new parts.

Bonus if you you can get the insurance company to not brand your title as a totaled car. My not matter except when you go to sell it some day in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...

My brother had a 79 Chevette ( I think that is the year it was) that was a low mile car around 95 or so.  It would be all the rage today as there was not a shiny spec of paint on it.  No rust what so ever but it ran great and got him to any place he wanted to go. That is until a Jeep ran through a light and totaled it for him. He had full coverage and the insurance company wanted to give him 500 bucks. He had replacement value. They told him that is all it is worth. He said no it is not and you know it is worth more. He told the agent we can do this the easy way or we can do this the hard way.  Go find me one, not a rust bucket, not a drag car, Just what you insured. They found one that was more than what he was asking for.