Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC Tow Truck fuel tank?

Working on a partly scratchbuilt GMC tow truck, subject shown here.  Where would the fuel tank be exactly, and are there photos to show the arrangement that might have been used?

In the second photo, right side, you can see the fuel door is the cap just behind the driver's door handle.  Thus, I'm assuming the fuel tank would not be behind the rear suspension as usual in a pickup.

Rr59VBY.jpg

svZHADt.jpg

Apologies if this is considered common knowledge; I usually do aircraft.....thus I defer to y'all, the experts!

While the in cab fuel tank was common at that time I think most of the rigs with specialized beds also would mount saddle tanks that held more fuel on either one side or both depending. Ya the old "Fuel tank in the cab" did more to stop smoking and prevent lug cancer than anything else. Think about it.  

5 hours ago, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

I was wondering about a sort of saddle tank arrangement, yes.

Engineering an auxiliary tank arrangement isn't difficult, and they are common on this series of truck.

The pinched bedside on your wercker photo would tend to preclude mounting tanks outboard of the frame rails, but there's plenty of room under those trucks to mount tanks inboard of the rails, between the rail and the driveshaft.

That's where the OEM tank is in my '89 GMC.

The auxiliary filler would be in the side of the wrecker bed in that case. 

Rv, Service Body, Truck Bed Fuel Tank - Gas Filler Neck Doors (Locking)