Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monkeyclaw resin parts

I received my order of parts from Matt Burnett at Monkey Claw yesterday.

Very nice! The parts are smooth with minimal clean up of some pin holes at the bottom of the castings. The hood is glass smooth.

His raised roof (he calls it MagnaRoof) fits the Italeri PB cabs for the UltraCab raised roof with the big sleeper.

Here's what I bought:

378 SBFA hood (older, '87-03 hood). It came with the hood, fender sections, headlamps. You will need a 377 or 378 kit.

36" flat top sleeper '87-current year ('05 and newer will need the door release handles reworked). Comes with the Unibilt sleeper mounts and cab backwall.

63" flat top sleeper '87-current year ('05 and newer will need the door release handles reworked). Comes with sleeper extenders, Unibilt mounts and cab back wall.

Having these available in resin will save me from having to cannibalize Revell of Germany 359 sleepers for the roof caps to make the 1/24th scale flat top sleepers.

www.monkeyclawmodels.com

MonkeyClawparts110608.jpg

Monkeyclawroofoff11708.jpg

Tim

Edited by mackinac359

Thanks to all for the GREAT comments !!! Your support is much appreciated.... with this current generation of resin parts, I tried to make sets of parts that simplify the conversions for the builders. My primary goal was to turn out resin parts that have a more "KIT LIKE" appearance, that work just as well for a 1st time resin builder; or a seasoned veteran. I hope that the builders out there are finding these sets easier to use, with minimal cleanup & effort, and certainly hope that builders find these parts sets are a good value for their hard earned money spent. I am trying to continue with new mastering projects, as my hands allow me to do the work; and again; I very much appreciate all of your kind words and support............matt

Matt, you've done and excellent job and Im lookin forward to the coming month when I plan out other projects, you'll be hearing from me

I just wish I could have painted them before it got cold out. planning a nice 2 tone for the flat top and we are done working for the season so I have till March to get everything but the bodies done then I can paint them.

Edited by 79FlatTopDriver

I would and will personally stand behind Matt and everything he does!

Well, almost everything....

Matt's a great guy, have known him for what, 20 years or so?

Watched his work progress so well, seen all his troubles, and he still hangs in there.

And, the resin is very good!

I'm impressed, and blessed, to have you as a friend.

It was great seeing you, rock star!!!!

Again; Thanks to all!!! For those that build using my resins; I wll be adding a new Gallery Page to my site for 09; so remember to send me photos of your build ups...I plan to do the gallery as a monthly "featured" truck; to spotlight one builder every month....

Josh; I look forward to hearing from you; and look forward to seeing your builds.

Gregg; Always GREAT to see you out at the shows! We all look forward to it; and I hope you long flight back to Hawaii was Quiet... (I KNOW you had to be worn out)... A great friend that provides us the BEST Magazine in the hobby!

I will be releasing another "custom" parts set in a couple weeks....1/25 This set will be vortex breathers, Grass cutter front bumper, and rear fender set....the bumper and fender set are the ones from the "turnpiker" ...also on the way are the tanks end covers (for Italeri petes) , and new fenders for the back of the 379's. Over the winter I will be mastering several new items that are intended to time with upcoming re-releases from stevens for '09... Dina hood for the 4300; along with the 4270 hood, and a "condo" cabover for the freightliner DD. Again; I thank EVERY modeler for stopping in on my site; and I look forward to serving ALL of you in the hobby in the future.................matt

Matt,

Have you any plans to make a 389 conversion kit complete with the 1950s style womens spectacles head lights?

Sorry about my comments regarding the head lights but they look so similar to a pair of spectacles that the women wore in the 1950s, well, here in Britain anyways.

Dave Bates

(Edit: "Cat eye glasses" is what they were called here - Tim)

Edited by mackinac359

Dave; I had not planned to do the 389...but Brad @ BRL is working on one right now... he is trying to get it finished up.... I am planning to try to follow the re-issue kits for 09; and have plns for a couple of resin items for those....I will have (2) for the IH 4300; and (1) for the freightliner D/D matt

Ray; Thanks! Next for me will be a "show truck" parts set (1/25) , and I have some pleated tank covers coming for the Italeri petes as well (next week)....just little goodies for the end of 08...for 09 I am planning several KIT Specific resins for proposed re-releases... and will release resins timed with the kits (hopefully {LOL}) .... her's what I am planning: For the Ih 4300; A DINA 851, and the 4270 hood. For the F'liner D/D : A more modern (standup cab) cabover....this is the cab that uses the "condo" style raised roof, with dual square headlamps....This one will have the cab walls as a single piece, with the roof seperate....anyone that has built the D/D knows what a PAIN it is to get the front & back 1/2s to fit right . I may still cast the 70" bunk for the 379 as well; just waiting for the economy to pick up...expensive molds to make! I do have host of other stuff going for big scale cars, and other segments of the hobby as well...........matt

Ray; The Dina 851 is the Mexican version of the 4300 style truck....Dina is basically Mexican IH. The 851 was the topline for Dina; and the big difference is the grill & headlight configuration....and of course the GIANT badges on the hood sides....for this one I will most likely have all of the badging done in P/E; and cast from the P/E parts for crisp lettering....rather than casting the entire hood; since it is correct in the kit..... this one will most likely be new grill, headlights and badges...it is much less expensive to make; and much cheaper for the builders that way. It amazes me HOW MANY of these trucks I still see on the road every time I go to Mexico... also kicking around a couple other IH conversion ideas as well.....perhaps a BIG sleeper? and perhaps a 9300 SBFA hood..........I'll keep you posted.........matt