Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/12 240ZG

So this is my second Tamiya 240 kit in all its half built glory! This is on my quite literal "crazy model car project ideas I really want to do, but I will probably only do half of them" list, this one being at the top because i just completed my cursed 240Z, all the pieces are already out, and im not looking forward to loosing any parts. My inspiration to do something like this came a few years ago when when i stumbled across a certain S15 Nissan Silvia Rocket Bunny kit, with a front end that more resembles the classic Datsun front ends (73 GTR, 1200, sunny etc), or you could compare it to a Plymouth Cuda. I thought the idea was awesome, it gave the car that weird 70s Japanese "muscle car" look that i immediately fell in love with. The only thing i found lacking was that although the front end was completely overhauled, the rear end remained mostly stock. Originally my idea was to take any 90s Japanese sports car, and overhauling both the front and the rear end in a similar style to the S15. Recently after diving into my Tamiya 240zg kit, i became disappointed to find out that the ZG kit came only with the more pointy ZG, and in my opinion, less appealing front end than a more common 240z front end. So my current idea consists of creating a whole new front end to this 240zg, geared more towards the classic 70s american muscle cars, as well as adding a crazy "Super GT" (whatever you call it) wide body kit, turning this ZG into a crazy track beast. Needless to say this thing is going to be the farthest thing from a stock 240ZG you can get! This is going to take alot of work!

Current progress:

:20200831_074003.thumb.jpg.a146a4afa709648ccdedca6cf945c54c.jpg

S14 Reference:

this s14 looks like a muscle car.(its got a Datsun 1600 front end  conversion with latest rocket bunny kit)

Super Gt Reference:

IMSA Archives - International Motor Racing Research CenterFord Capri RS 2600 V6 Cosworth | Ford capri, Ford motorsport, Ford racing

Edited by Gumball

I also have some progress already on the front body work, however it seems really off. Im thinking i should make the front less flat and more pointy, however if that doesn't fix it, ill be redoing much of what iv already completed with the grill and everything. Im just thinking its looks a little too American.

20200902_124342.jpg

Edited by Gumball