Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for a non-yellowing clear to use over white paint.

Ok gents, here's an easy one for you. I have a stock car painted Duplicolor white and found that the Tamiya TS-13 (unlucky 13!) was not compatible with the decals. I have fresh decals on order and will deal with the mess later in the week.

The question is, what clear is good to use with decals than won't yellow over time? I was thinking of a Krylon acrylic or enamel gloss. I'm sort of shy to use anything in the hobby and know that Tamiya X-22 acylic (ersatz cat whiz) yellows anything I've painted white.

Thanks, Bob

Bob you will probably be alright with Krylon. I would stay away from any enamel based finish as any of them will have a photochemical reaction to any paint you choose. Even when I am painting 1-1 cars its not unusual to see such a reaction in the Urethane paints also. KOMRAD ED, formerly known before the election as Ed Shaver :rolleyes:

Hi Bob :rolleyes:

Like most of us here, I have my favorite rattle can paints, and a system that works pretty good "most of the time" :lol:.

Duplicolor, Tamiya and Plasticote are my favs from a can.

For clearcoat, I have used Plasticote's #349 clear for 10 years with very dependable and beautiful results. Polishes to a stunning mirror finish.

I have shot it over every brand of paint I use ( Sorry, but I don't use Krylon, as the three I mentioned don't have the issues I constantly hear about here on this forum with Krylon, although they cost more money, I only have to paint once and no do-overs. :D ). IMHO, Krylon availability is extremely good and their prices are cheap, but you only get what you pay for. Sorry to those who are Krylon junkies - again IMHO :lol::lol:

Shooting over decals is always tricky, so I always shoot samples first. Every manufacturer of decals has a different quality and materials they use. Revells sometimes can be the worst, and tamiya's usually the best, in my experience.

I'm a sample's addict because I have ruined to many nice projects, and wasted countless hours, because I was in a hurry.

Experience and a tad of wisdom learned me the hard way - Dave :lol:

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Bob, the best clear coat I've used that won't hurt decals is Floquil Crystal Coat. I've used it on all my cars that have had extensive decaling since I mainly do race cars. I have never had it yellow on white cars. Photo attached of Crystal Coat over a Corvette.

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

Lots of good suggestions mentioned above. Rule #1 of course is to make sure the clear you use is compatible with the paint. Try a test on some scrap if you're unsure.

Also, one very simple basic rule to remember is simply to stay away from ENAMEL clears... they tend to yellow far more than other types of paints.

Bob, the best clear coat I've used that won't hurt decals is Floquil Crystal Coat. I've used it on all my cars that have had extensive decaling since I mainly do race cars. I have never had it yellow on white cars. Photo attached of Crystal Coat over a Corvette.

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

I know this is off the subject a bit, and I'm invading your thread Bob, but Brendan, this is a beautiful build man :blink: .

Ok gents, here's an easy one for you. I have a stock car painted Duplicolor white and found that the Tamiya TS-13 (unlucky 13!) was not compatible with the decals. I have fresh decals on order and will deal with the mess later in the week.

The question is, what clear is good to use with decals than won't yellow over time? I was thinking of a Krylon acrylic or enamel gloss. I'm sort of shy to use anything in the hobby and know that Tamiya X-22 acylic (ersatz cat whiz) yellows anything I've painted white.

Thanks, Bob

Duplicolor clear is the best i have found for not yellowing. Just test it over decals or light coats firts it will eat up some decals