Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Nostalgic Street/Gasser

TransAmMike

On 11/27/2020 at 11:13 AM, TransAmMike said:

Thanks Jim, I'm plodding along with it.  I'm gonna add side windows that I tinted (not revealing the color tho) but when I airbrushed them they kinda look like frosted glass?

Yeah, it’s tough to successfully tint glass sometimes...a cheap and easy alternative is clear colored plastic sheets from Hobby Lobby, or even an office supply place.  

I’ve done it before where I’ll make a template from the existing glass with tape and then cut that shape out of the sheet and get it glued in there with some Elmers (or even a little tape, if the mounting point will be hidden)

Model just keeps fighting me.....or I'm just not good enough to do some things.  I air brushed side windows (transparent Testors) for tint and, well lets just say, they came out kinda OK.  I installed them with some issue of course.  So then, trying to mate the body to the chassis, and no matter what I do It just will not go all the way down.  And of course in the fighting with it damaged a delicate PE trim  piece, knocked another PE piece off and lost it (I know now never again to put delicate parts on until last), popped off the firewall and knocked the engine off its mounts.?

So close to boxing it all up and putting it aside for a while.  But, its my nature to finish what I start.  The exception may be now LOL.

Thanks for listening to my rant, feels good to get it off my chest with fellow modelers.

Well, I figured out he problem and this  may be an issue with the Pro Shop kit but I really don't remember with the last one I did.  It seems the dash was hitting the bottom part of the windshield, the extension that glues to the cowl. First I cut the extension off and tried it, Still was a problem so thats when I lowered the dash.  And what do ya know, it solved the problem.  So on with the damage rerpairs and completion.