Model Cars Magazine Forum

Circa 36: A customized blown & channeled 36 Ford 3W coupe

Claude Thibodeau

Hi!

Had a few copies of this kit, and went for a mash-up: Lindberg's 38 Ford framerails (modified), Foose F100 rolling stock, Revell's 41 Willys powertraint, 9" Ford rear. Scratchbuilt: front & rear suspensions, air shocks & compressor-tank in trunk, inverted rumble seat converted to standard lid, tubs, floor, firewall, interior, tunnel, injector linkage, brakes & hoses. Grille shell from MPC's 32 Chrysler. Custom mixed acrylic finish, with Testor's Wet Look clear. Fully polished. 

Hours of fun with styrene!

CT

DSC00566 (2).JPG

DSC00567 (2).JPG

DSC00571 (2).JPG

DSC00573 (2).JPG

DSC00576 (2).JPG

DSC00577 (2).JPG

DSC00574 (2).JPG

DSC00569 (2).JPG

• Like 9

1 hour ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking build. I would never have thought of that Grill, but it looks perfect on this. The body and paint are very smooth and the engine and chassis detailing is special as well. 

Hi David! 

Thanks. It is more "massive" than the Ford unit... The Chrysler was a luxury car after all. More money: more chrome! 

CT

11 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Paul!

Thank you. And to say I passed on a real pristine one (1/1) in the 70's... because I would only care for a 33 3W... Ah, the folly of youth!

CT

Oh man!  They are beautiful cars, the curves, how they sit...Even simple builds on them are very stunning, would love to have a 1:1! 

49 minutes ago, speedy5963 said:

Oh man!  They are beautiful cars, the curves, how they sit...Even simple builds on them are very stunning, would love to have a 1:1! 

Hi Paul!

I remember seeing your low slung 36... What a stance, and that shimmering finish. Talent runs in the family, obviously!

CT

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Paul!

I remember seeing your low slung 36... What a stance, and that shimmering finish. Talent runs in the family, obviously!

CT

Thank you CT, the compliments mean a lot coming from someone of your caliber!!  I was fortunate to grow up around classic, customs and hot rods...shops etc and have my pops who worked on them and was a painter!  He was actually hesitant to teach me, so you can imagine the look on his face when he came home from work one day and I was spraying kandy urethanes... think I was in 5th grade ?

20200125_124051.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, speedy5963 said:

Thank you CT, the compliments mean a lot coming from someone of your caliber!!  I was fortunate to grow up around classic, customs and hot rods...shops etc and have my pops who worked on them and was a painter!  He was actually hesitant to teach me, so you can imagine the look on his face when he came home from work one day and I was spraying kandy urethanes... think I was in 5th grade ?

20200125_124051.jpg

Hi Paul!

Candy urethnane in 5th grade? My God, that is very young... No surprise your finishes are as fantastic as they are.

It all makes sense now... almost unfair! (just kidding...)

CT

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Peter Lombardo said:

Very nice, very clean and well thought out, and the subdued paint color works very well on it.  Sharp build all around.

Thank you Peter!

The hardest part of the built was blending the roof to the belt line in a satisfactory way. This AMT kit is finnicky in that respect. The half-round reveal that runs under the door window opening is tapered, somehow, whereas on the 1/1 car, it is constant from the quarter panel to the cowl. SO, lotsa sanding, putty and primer. What can you do...

CT

Ahh, Claude, you've done it again!  First thing I noticed was how well you've blended the top onto the body - few modellers get that as neatly done as you have - me, I still haven't done one at all!  And the Chrysler grille - who knew?  The total package comes together way better than a list of components would suggest.  Congratulations!

Cheers

Alan