Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mark Martin Folgers Thunderbird

randman

This is the Monogram Mark Martin Folgers Thunderbird.  

Duplicolor Perfect Match Toreador Red Metallic BFM0344 (over Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf - if it matters) and Krylon Pewter Gray for the chassis.

My only modifications were swapping the wheels and to the air cleaner.  I created a few decals for the headlight covers also.

I was pleasantly surprised with these 30 year old kit decals.  The residue takes a bit to clean up, so cut as close as possible.  I was worried when they when on super cloudly, but they cleared right up.  Minimal use of solution was required.

More pictures in the gallery: Mark Martin Folgers Thunderbird

4O6Tsprl.jpg

bYXqsaAl.jpg

Edited by randman

It looks fantastic! That color appears spot-on and I may use it for my build. Two questions. Your pictures are small, so I can't see the detail of the wheels and there are none in the gallery. Do you have any close ups? It appears you have a colored pinstripe on the rim, but I can't make it out. What color did you use?

3 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

It looks fantastic! That color appears spot-on and I may use it for my build. Two questions. Your pictures are small, so I can't see the detail of the wheels and there are none in the gallery. Do you have any close ups? It appears you have a colored pinstripe on the rim, but I can't make it out. What color did you use?

Hi Tim,

I've added some close ups of the wheels and tires to the gallery.  I use a method similar to others who scrape the wheel edge with a #11 blade.  Instead, I just use sandpaper to sand away the paint.  I then used a red Sharpie for the red line.

Edited by randman

4 hours ago, randman said:

I use a method similar to others who scrape the wheel edge with a #11 blade.  Instead, I just use sandpaper to sand away the paint.  I then used a red Sharpie for the red line.

That looks incredible! So as I understand it, you're making a groove in the plastic for the Sharpie? I'm not familiar with this method. Do you turn the wheel on a lathe?

8 minutes ago, THarrison351 said:

That looks incredible! So as I understand it, you're making a groove in the plastic for the Sharpie? I'm not familiar with this method. Do you turn the wheel on a lathe?

No groove, I just use the sandpaper to essentially scrape off the paint from the edge (others use an Exacto blade).  If your wheels are white plastic to start, you should have a white ring when you are done sanding, then you can Sharpie whatever color you need.  I don't have a lathe, this is done by hand.

Just now, randman said:

No groove, I just use the sandpaper to essentially scrape off the paint from the edge (others use an Exacto blade).  If your wheels are white plastic to start, you should have a white ring when you are done sanding, then you can Sharpie whatever color you need.  I don't have a lathe, this is done by hand.

All right, the line is so fine and straight. I guess I'm going to have to search for a demonstration or direct instructions. Thanks

• 2 months later...

Very nice build!  Nice job!  I am curious about the hood decals.  When I look at the decal sheets that I have, it looks like the decals would straddle the seam between the hood and the body.  And I can't help but notice you were able to remove the hood.  So can you tell us what you did with the hood decals?  I'm assuming that you cut or trimmed them one way or another!

Thanks again for the post and answer and very nice car I can't wait to build mine!

On 12/7/2020 at 1:35 PM, ssroczyn said:

Very nice build!  Nice job!  I am curious about the hood decals.  When I look at the decal sheets that I have, it looks like the decals would straddle the seam between the hood and the body.  And I can't help but notice you were able to remove the hood.  So can you tell us what you did with the hood decals?  I'm assuming that you cut or trimmed them one way or another!

Thanks again for the post and answer and very nice car I can't wait to build mine!

With the hood in place, I applied the decal and let it overlap on the fender.  Once dry I carefully cut along the hood edges with a sharp x-acto blade.  I think I taped the hood in place along the cowling so it wouldn't move.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Super nice !!

I did have a question -- for the chassis and roll cage -- did you spray the Krylon Pewter Gray directly on bare plastic ?   Or did you spray some primer coat first  ?

Thanks !

It's been a while so I don't recall exactly, but my guess is that I sprayed in directly on the bare plastic.  I have usually had no issues with using the Krylon directly on the plastic.  If I do use primer, I have been using Tamiya white or gray primer.