Model Cars Magazine Forum
randman

Mark Martin Folgers Thunderbird

This is the Monogram Mark Martin Folgers Thunderbird.  

Duplicolor Perfect Match Toreador Red Metallic BFM0344 (over Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf - if it matters) and Krylon Pewter Gray for the chassis.

My only modifications were swapping the wheels and to the air cleaner.  I created a few decals for the headlight covers also.

I was pleasantly surprised with these 30 year old kit decals.  The residue takes a bit to clean up, so cut as close as possible.  I was worried when they when on super cloudly, but they cleared right up.  Minimal use of solution was required.

More pictures in the gallery: Mark Martin Folgers Thunderbird

4O6Tsprl.jpg

bYXqsaAl.jpg

Edited by randman

Wow, Randy. what a beautiful build. That color really pops and the cleanliness of build is off the charts. Just an Excellent build.

It looks fantastic! That color appears spot-on and I may use it for my build. Two questions. Your pictures are small, so I can't see the detail of the wheels and there are none in the gallery. Do you have any close ups? It appears you have a colored pinstripe on the rim, but I can't make it out. What color did you use?

3 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

It looks fantastic! That color appears spot-on and I may use it for my build. Two questions. Your pictures are small, so I can't see the detail of the wheels and there are none in the gallery. Do you have any close ups? It appears you have a colored pinstripe on the rim, but I can't make it out. What color did you use?

Hi Tim,

I've added some close ups of the wheels and tires to the gallery.  I use a method similar to others who scrape the wheel edge with a #11 blade.  Instead, I just use sandpaper to sand away the paint.  I then used a red Sharpie for the red line.

Edited by randman

4 hours ago, randman said:

I use a method similar to others who scrape the wheel edge with a #11 blade.  Instead, I just use sandpaper to sand away the paint.  I then used a red Sharpie for the red line.

That looks incredible! So as I understand it, you're making a groove in the plastic for the Sharpie? I'm not familiar with this method. Do you turn the wheel on a lathe?

8 minutes ago, THarrison351 said:

That looks incredible! So as I understand it, you're making a groove in the plastic for the Sharpie? I'm not familiar with this method. Do you turn the wheel on a lathe?

No groove, I just use the sandpaper to essentially scrape off the paint from the edge (others use an Exacto blade).  If your wheels are white plastic to start, you should have a white ring when you are done sanding, then you can Sharpie whatever color you need.  I don't have a lathe, this is done by hand.

Just now, randman said:

No groove, I just use the sandpaper to essentially scrape off the paint from the edge (others use an Exacto blade).  If your wheels are white plastic to start, you should have a white ring when you are done sanding, then you can Sharpie whatever color you need.  I don't have a lathe, this is done by hand.

All right, the line is so fine and straight. I guess I'm going to have to search for a demonstration or direct instructions. Thanks

1 hour ago, THarrison351 said:

All right, the line is so fine and straight. I guess I'm going to have to search for a demonstration or direct instructions. Thanks

Maybe this will help.  I only sanded part of the edge in this picture.

009.JPG

1 hour ago, Old Coyote said:

Gorgeous build sir, beautiful work.

I agree 100%  well done!

Beautiful build. I have one I have not done yet. These are really nice kits.