Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

doorsovdoon

Nice little kit this, it's the older release with very low parts count and metal axles, but builds up very nicely with very few issues. The headlight pods in the wings needed slight trimming to fit the contour of the headlights, and the hub caps needed shaving on the outer edges to fit in the wheels, otherwise they stuck out and looked odd. Apart from those very small, not really worth mentioning issues, this was a delight to build and looks amazing when completed. One other thing I found is the brake master cylinder on the sprue was so deformed it just looked like a piece of sprue that once had something on it and was hacked off with a chainsaw! So I made my own out of some of the parts tree, other than that I can't fault this kit in any way, I love it. One thing I messed up on was I inverted the colours on the door cards, the silver should be top and bottom with the red in the centre! ah well, what can you do, eh? Lol

20200905_193456_LLS.JPG

20200905_193511_LLS.JPG

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

That turned out real nice, funny enough when I was doing the BMF on mine I forgot to do the riocker panels, just when I thought I'd finished the foiling.......

The first photos I took I forgot to chrome the top of the fins too, so I went back in the house to do them yet I still didn't notice the rocker panels.

6 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Thanks, Nigel. I'll have to try the Monogram release.  Any pictures of them?

Nothing on the first one I did as a teenager, which is now in the parts box, but here's the second example:

From comments I've read, people who've compared/built both prefer the AMT but I was happy with how the Monogram offering went together - it looks like a '57, and I don't recall any fitment issues.

2 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

From comments I've read, people who've compared/built both prefer the AMT but I was happy with how the Monogram offering went together - it looks like a '57, and I don't recall any fitment issues.

Looks great. The roof looks a little bit taller on the Monogram version and it has the chequered flag badges on the wings.