Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/6 1963 Chevrolet 327 Ramjet Fuel Injection 375 HP

I posted this a couple months ago and became aware I had limited my engines to Ford and Chrysler.

So I decided to find what I felt were the best representatives of the 1/6 scale engines and cheap. The two I chose are the 1963 Chevrolet 327 Ramjet Fuel Injection 375 HP and 1969 427 L89 Tri-power 435 HP.  Both of these engines were exclusive to the Corvettes of those years. They make other Chevy engines, but these were the two I picked. This is the first I've acquired so far. All of these engines I do believe have their origins from Liberty Classics. Revell and Hawk made disassembled versions of the built engines sold by Liberty Classics. I have built some and purchase some already built. None of these are in production by any company as far as I know and they are all being resold. This particular model was kitted by Revell. It wasn't quite as well engineered as the others I have built, but I finished it and it's OK for me. First some history.

The First Ramjet fuel-injected 283 small-block in 1957 was rated at 283 horsepower, or one horsepower for every cubic inch. It was an available option on Corvettes every year until 1962' The 327 debuted in 1962. It featured a 4.00-inch bore and a 3.25-inch stroke, increases of an eighth-inch and a quarter-inch, respectively, over the 283. Corvette got the 250- and 300-horsepower 327 variants in 1962, but also 340-horsepower four-barrel and a 360-horsepower fuel-injected options, both with higher compression ratio (11.0:1) and the solid lifter “Duntov” cam that had been used on 283s since 1957. For 1963, a new fuel injection intake manifold, arguably the best-looking ever installed on a Chevy small-block. A new solid-lifter cam replaced the long-running Duntov bumpstick for 1963. Known as the “30-30” cam because of its hot lash setting for the intake and exhaust—in thousands of an inch—the new cam didn’t mean new engine codes, but it did add power. The L76 was now rated at 365 horsepower. Meanwhile the L84, the king of 327 small-blocks, now produced 375 horsepower with its new cam. That was a gross horsepower rating, but it would be the highest output ever claimed by a Chevy small-block until the 5.7-liter LS6 debuted in the C6 Z06 in 2001. (Brandan Gillogly)

2v2HT4w7oxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HT4wkrxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HT4cj8xAVNRq.jpg

The four biggest problems I had which turned out to be only one sort of.  First It only came with six spark plugs. So a made two reasonable substitutes out of some plastruct tubing.

2v2HT4wArxAVNRq.jpg

Second, there's only six plug wires too! I can't make those! Well they appear to be hidden in the "metal" shielding so maybe it will be OK. And yes it does turn out those, along with the plugs are all covered. Problem solved.

Thirdly, the fuel line that runs from the oil filler to the throttle body was a little wider than the space needed and when I attempted to flex it into position, it cracked where the production person had cut it from the sprue (poorly) and touched it up with silver paint. You can see the odd bend and their touch up paint.

2v2HT4ws5xAVNRq.jpg

Finally, and you can see it in these pictures really well. The alternator is all crooked. Can't adjust or move anything to compensate for this.

2v2HT4weNxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HT4wvrxAVNRq.jpg

As I said it's not perfect, but I'm OK with it and it can represent GM and fill a hole in my collection. Thanks for looking!

• 3 weeks later...