Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 1958 Edsel Pacer: WIP

David G.

This is my next project AMT's 1958 Edsel Pacer. I've wanted an Edsel as long as I can remember. Despite popular opinion, I always saw them as good looking cars. Besides, when have I ever cared about popular opinion anyway?
I plan on using my new Canon M50 camera (a birthday gift from my wife) for the entire photo spread. So please bear with me as I navigate the learning curve.

Of course, any photo taking tips are also appreciated.

58_Edsel_00.jpg.9cf0403a3482ff3ee48367acd15fad74.jpg

The engine went together fairly quickly and is nicely detailed.58_Edsel_01.jpg.33d0f04e5b46e2082a9061321afa536f.jpg

Of course, I still have to do a little more detail painting and add a little light weathering.

58_Edsel_02.jpg.ec8994756d94810896c3aa0e8a61f159.jpg

Test fitting the frame and engine assembly.

58_Edsel_03.jpg.e706efcacb39e2d8f9e0b25312155682.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo

Nice to see the unloved get a little love. Like you I always thought the Edsel was unique. I still remember all of the rather rude jokes about it's appearance.  They also had some interesting two tone and even three tone color combinations.  

That M.E.L. ( or is that an F.E. ? ) engine looks great ! 

I've long loved the Edsel , esp. the last year model ( 1958-1959 , 1960 Fords are some of the most beautiful cars around ! ) . 

I believe that the price-point of the Edsel line is what lead to its demise --- same as with the De Soto line . The recession of 1958 harboured-in a changing market : "I can get a Lincoln for just a little more money !" or "I can get most of these [ desirable ] options for less on a Mercury !" 

BTW ; is that an MX transmission that Edsel used ? I don't think that Edsel would have used the FX trans.

I will be following your build. Picked up the 1958 Edsel recently because my sister-in-law mentioned that she had owned one and it had been her favorite car. It seems like an ideal Xmas gift.  Having never been a builder of standard N.American passenger cars or Fords Ièll be interested in reading about any problems you have with your build.

Thank you for all your kind comments and Edsel anecdotes.

Almost everyone over the age of 50 has an Edsel story, even if it's only that of a neighbor who had one in his back yard that he used for a chicken coop. The Edsel is without question a car that achieved a legendary status, though not for the intended reasons. I have sometimes wondered how the Edsel would have been received if Ford launched it as the new Crown Victoria instead of trying to create a new market tier which was, for the most part, already occupied by the Crown Vic.

I'm working on the interior now and should soon have more photos to post.

Thanks again,

David G.

It's time for another update.

I think I've decided on pink and black as the color scheme.

Here's a color test shot. I was also concerned about some casting flaws on the roof and hood. The hood was the worse of the two so I decided to prep and test on the hood. Though there is some slight texturing, I think a color sand and second coat should take care of it.

58_Edsel_04.jpg.ea21643430241fb674c26e5093a41f51.jpg

The only other issue I've had so far is the gap around the back panel insert on the front seat required a little extra filling. It's nothing serious, just standard model building stuff.

58_Edsel_05.jpg.b426790a29ea35a4e21708bc2fc5370b.jpg

So I cut a piece of strip styrene and glued it around the edge of the insert.

58_Edsel_06.jpg.ed12256390ccc90a3570b40a5020bf06.jpg

I filled the remaining gap with spot putty then sanded and shaped it.

58_Edsel_07.jpg.17bb575af064ae086c75108eef65bf15.jpg

Here it is primed, painted and ready for detailing.

58_Edsel_08.jpg.d1d00122b39875b77bea917306ddfb7b.jpg

The paint I'm using is Rustoleum brand, which I usually try to avoid using for several reasons. Unfortunately, I saw this color on the shelf and decided it was the perfect shade of pink for a 1958 Edsel. So I thought I'd give the brand another try. I thought that maybe some improvements had been made in the several years since I last used it but alas, no. It still sprays like a garden hose and goes on waayyy too thick. I may try decanting some for use in my airbrush when it's time to paint the body.

Let's see how ambitious I feel when that time comes.

Thanks for taking the time to look and remember, comments, tips and advise are always welcome.

David G.

I like how your build is looking at this point. You mention your issues with the Rustoleum paint and I have to agree. I had the same problems with a different color on a build. The color was perfect  but I actually had to sand all the way to the primer just trying to get ride of the "Orange Peal" . 

20 hours ago, David G. said:

It's time for another update.

I think I've decided on pink and black as the color scheme.

Here's a color test shot. I was also concerned about some casting flaws on the roof and hood. The hood was the worse of the two so I decided to prep and test on the hood. Though there is some slight texturing, I think a color sand and second coat should take care of it.

58_Edsel_04.jpg.ea21643430241fb674c26e5093a41f51.jpg

The only other issue I've had so far is the gap around the back panel insert on the front seat required a little extra filling. It's nothing serious, just standard model building stuff.

58_Edsel_05.jpg.b426790a29ea35a4e21708bc2fc5370b.jpg

So I cut a piece of strip styrene and glued it around the edge of the insert.

58_Edsel_06.jpg.ed12256390ccc90a3570b40a5020bf06.jpg

I filled the remaining gap with spot putty then sanded and shaped it.

58_Edsel_07.jpg.17bb575af064ae086c75108eef65bf15.jpg

Here it is primed, painted and ready for detailing.

58_Edsel_08.jpg.d1d00122b39875b77bea917306ddfb7b.jpg

The paint I'm using is Rustoleum brand, which I usually try to avoid using for several reasons. Unfortunately, I saw this color on the shelf and decided it was the perfect shade of pink for a 1958 Edsel. So I thought I'd give the brand another try. I thought that maybe some improvements had been made in the several years since I last used it but alas, no. It still sprays like a garden hose and goes on waayyy too thick. I may try decanting some for use in my airbrush when it's time to paint the body.

Let's see how ambitious I feel when that time comes.

Thanks for taking the time to look and remember, comments, tips and advise are always welcome.

David G.

Maybe changing the spray button with a smaller diameter spray nozzle might help... It doesn't hurt to try....

On 9/6/2020 at 11:19 AM, 1972coronet said:

That M.E.L. ( or is that an F.E. ? ) engine looks great ! 

I've long loved the Edsel , esp. the last year model ( 1958-1959 , 1960 Fords are some of the most beautiful cars around ! ) . 

I believe that the price-point of the Edsel line is what lead to its demise --- same as with the De Soto line . The recession of 1958 harboured-in a changing market : "I can get a Lincoln for just a little more money !" or "I can get most of these [ desirable ] options for less on a Mercury !" 

BTW ; is that an MX transmission that Edsel used ? I don't think that Edsel would have used the FX trans.

FE, the MEL has a different head setup etc. The Edsel used the MX trans in medium case form. Most of the Ford built V8 automatics were the medium case MX (T-Birds, etc.) and the MEL powered stuff (Lincoln, etc.) had the large case MX. The small case MX was used on the six-cylinder cars and some of the "Y" block powered cars. All of the "MX" variants were based on the Borg Warner automatic that Ford licensed.

Edited by Mark IV
added

20 hours ago, espo said:

I like how your build is looking at this point. You mention your issues with the Rustoleum paint and I have to agree. I had the same problems with a different color on a build. The color was perfect  but I actually had to sand all the way to the primer just trying to get ride of the "Orange Peal" . 

Thank you David. It seems that every few years I forget how much I dislike Rustoleum just enough to give it another chance. And every time I try it again I'm disappointed in both the paint and myself. I guess that means I'm an eternal optimist? :D

I believe that the paint is not in itself terrible, it's probably pretty good paint in actuality. I believe most of the problem lies in the delivery system which seems more suited to painting un-primed wooden lawn furniture than plastic model cars.

18 hours ago, jamesG said:

a unique ride no doubt. pink wouldn"t be my choice, but that shade will certainly give it that 50"s look.

12 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Pink is getting some love on the forum this week it seems, haha.

11 hours ago, slusher said:

Seeing more pink but just another color.....

Pink is probably my least favorite among all the colors but it is also the one that seems to draw more attention than any other color.  I think that attracting attention was supposed to be the idea behind the Edsel. I mean, buy a Corvette in any color and it's a Corvette. But take it to a shop and have it painted pink and all of a sudden it becomes "That pink Corvette."

I enjoy doing "off-the-wall" builds that wouldn't normally appeal to me. This isn't even the first model car that I've built in pink. Back in 2010 I built a pink '55 Chevy hot rod. Here's a link to the build thread and one to the "Under Glass" post

55Chevy030.jpg.d1f89a2c237e46e8e29310af4c23dee9.jpg 

1 hour ago, Mark IV said:

FE, the MEL has a different head setup etc.

I'm afraid that I don't know much about engines, sorry.

2 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

Maybe changing the spray button with a smaller diameter spray nozzle might help... It doesn't hurt to try....

Thanks Guido. That's certainly an interesting suggestion but I'm not sure of where I would get a different spray nozzle or what size replacement would be suitable. If you have any experience with this and can offer some advice, I would certainly appreciate it. I'm willing to try, I just have no knowledge base to work from. 

Thanks for all your comments, I truly do appreciate the feedback.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Added links

1 hour ago, Mark IV said:

FE, the MEL has a different head setup etc. The Edsel used the MX trans in medium case form [...]

Thanks much ! I'd figured that the Edsel would use the 'Mercury' transmission  , but wasn't sure . 

Side Bar : The FMX in my '70 Ranchero ( 351-C ) was one of the nicest shifting transmissions ever , 

OK, I thought I could get away with standard prep and paint of the casting flaw on the roof. It looks like I was incorrect in that assumption. I had considered pre-coating with Pledge Super-Duper Acrylic Floor Care With Future Shine or whatever they're calling it this year (marketing departments, sheesh!) but I chose not to. So now I have some extra sanding and painting to do. Ah well, it could be worse. The roof is about the easiest panel to panel on which to do this kind of work.  Having to sand and smooth this out on the trunk lid would be a bit more difficult to say the least.

58_Edsel_10.jpg.1c20997b6878ad9420b1653573557afe.jpg

I'm glad that the rear panel and side scallops turned out decently. 

Well, it looks like I have a lot of sanding to do so I'd better get to it.

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Rusto paints are a bit "different" in delivery as you and other have noted.   However, it is not impossible.   I was having some issues, but was noticing that HPIguy was getting some nice finishes with Rusto right out of the can.   So I looked back through his videos - he has a "how to paint" video.   Also, in watching his technique, it is a lot to do with distance and moving faster than you might be used to.  

I built the Edsel when it was first issued.   Bought a MCG photo etch kit too for the scripts.  It was a fun enough build.   I'll keep watching this one just to see your color combination - love those 50s paint schemes.  

On 9/7/2020 at 7:30 AM, David G. said:

Thank you for all your kind comments and Edsel anecdotes.

Almost everyone over the age of 50 has an Edsel story, even if it's only that of a neighbor who had one in his back yard that he used for a chicken coop.

Looking great so far, and I'm stealing ideas!  Here's another anecdote for you...

C. Gayle Warnock had a LOT of Edsel stories.  He was on the Edsel marketing team.   Mr. Warnock wrote 2 books full of Edsel lore, "The Edsel Affair" and "The Rest of the Edsel Affair."  Some of his stories are enough to make you think the whole Edsel project was just jinxed in some awesome and mysterious way.

For example: when it became obvious that the Edsel was a sales flop, Ford panicked and had a high-level marketing meeting.  One of the people in that meeting was a crusty old-timer who had been in FoMoCo sales for decades.  Whenever a car didn't sell, he always made the same sarcastic joke:  "Let's give away a pony."

Some of the younger execs in that meeting didn't know he was joking, and thought that was a great idea.  So suddenly Ford was going all over the country, buying ponies.  Which meant they had to feed and house the ponies, and pay people to take care of them.  The Pony Project cost tons of money and didn't help Edsel sales one bit.

And the first lucky kid to win a pony? He lived in an apartment in New York City.  

On 9/10/2020 at 7:41 AM, David G. said:

Thank you David. It seems that every few years I forget how much I dislike Rustoleum just enough to give it another chance. And every time I try it again I'm disappointed in both the paint and myself. I guess that means I'm an eternal optimist? :D

I believe that the paint is not in itself terrible, it's probably pretty good paint in actuality. I believe most of the problem lies in the delivery system which seems more suited to painting un-primed wooden lawn furniture than plastic model cars.

Pink is probably my least favorite among all the colors but it is also the one that seems to draw more attention than any other color.  I think that attracting attention was supposed to be the idea behind the Edsel. I mean, buy a Corvette in any color and it's a Corvette. But take it to a shop and have it painted pink and all of a sudden it becomes "That pink Corvette."

I enjoy doing "off-the-wall" builds that wouldn't normally appeal to me. This isn't even the first model car that I've built in pink. Back in 2010 I built a pink '55 Chevy hot rod. Here's a link to the build thread and one to the "Under Glass" post

55Chevy030.jpg.d1f89a2c237e46e8e29310af4c23dee9.jpg 

I'm afraid that I don't know much about engines, sorry.

Thanks Guido. That's certainly an interesting suggestion but I'm not sure of where I would get a different spray nozzle or what size replacement would be suitable. If you have any experience with this and can offer some advice, I would certainly appreciate it. I'm willing to try, I just have no knowledge base to work from. 

Thanks for all your comments, I truly do appreciate the feedback.

David G.

I had a '55 as my first car and it was a rust magnet! favorite rusty places were the headlight eyebrows,just in back of the front wheel well,just in front of the rear wheel well and both rocker panels.

12 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

And the first lucky kid to win a pony? He lived in an apartment in New York City.  

I remember a similar story from the 1950s. Grand prize was a huge above ground pool with raised decking all around it.  Won by?  A kid in an NYC high rise building. Maybe same kid who won the pony!  

In 1968 I lived in Jersey City NJ for a year. At our school we had a candy bar fu d raiser with a bunch of great prizes. Us kids worked super hard to win.. every day until dark door to door. Even went to the bus stops during rush hour to pester commuters. 

Who won? A kid whose family owned the deli.. he did nothing but put the boxes of candy on the counter and customers bought them.  He won the Rupp mini bike! And he had nowhere to ride it. The family lived in an apartment over the store and there he was every day riding that mini bike in a circle, around and round the building!  

22 hours ago, randyc said:

Rusto paints are a bit "different" in delivery as you and other have noted.   However, it is not impossible.   I was having some issues, but was noticing that HPIguy was getting some nice finishes with Rusto right out of the can.   So I looked back through his videos - he has a "how to paint" video.   Also, in watching his technique, it is a lot to do with distance and moving faster than you might be used to.  

I built the Edsel when it was first issued.   Bought a MCG photo etch kit too for the scripts.  It was a fun enough build.   I'll keep watching this one just to see your color combination - love those 50s paint schemes.  

Thanks Randy. I've seen a few of his videos. I know he uses Rustoleum almost exclusively and manages to come up with good looking paint jobs so I'll have to search for the one you mentioned. If I can develop a good technique for reliably getting good looking results, then I won't be so disinclined to use it. They do have great colors.

22 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Looking great so far, and I'm stealing ideas!  Here's another anecdote for you...

C. Gayle Warnock had a LOT of Edsel stories.  He was on the Edsel marketing team.   Mr. Warnock wrote 2 books full of Edsel lore, "The Edsel Affair" and "The Rest of the Edsel Affair."  Some of his stories are enough to make you think the whole Edsel project was just jinxed in some awesome and mysterious way.

For example: when it became obvious that the Edsel was a sales flop, Ford panicked and had a high-level marketing meeting.  One of the people in that meeting was a crusty old-timer who had been in FoMoCo sales for decades.  Whenever a car didn't sell, he always made the same sarcastic joke:  "Let's give away a pony."

Some of the younger execs in that meeting didn't know he was joking, and thought that was a great idea.  So suddenly Ford was going all over the country, buying ponies.  Which meant they had to feed and house the ponies, and pay people to take care of them.  The Pony Project cost tons of money and didn't help Edsel sales one bit.

Thanks for the compliment Mike. Don't worry about stealing, I openly share my ideas for the benefit of any who can use them.

I do remember that part of the Edsel story from when I was researching the car's history. The whole story seems like a case study in what not to do when developing a new automotive nameplate. I have wondered how the story would have changed if Ford decided to use this car to split the Crown Victoria trim package off as its own model line in 1958 instead of waiting until 1992.

21 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I had a '55 as my first car and it was a rust magnet! favorite rusty places were the headlight eyebrows,just in back of the front wheel well,just in front of the rear wheel well and both rocker panels.

Thank you for your comment Tom. I didn't do much research as I was building this one and I unfortunately missed those key characteristic traits. Ah well, I'm still happy with the way it turned out.  

21 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I remember a similar story from the 1950s. Grand prize was a huge above ground pool with raised decking all around it.  Won by?  A kid in an NYC high rise building. Maybe same kid who won the pony!  

In 1968 I lived in Jersey City NJ for a year. At our school we had a candy bar fu d raiser with a bunch of great prizes. Us kids worked super hard to win.. every day until dark door to door. Even went to the bus stops during rush hour to pester commuters. 

Who won? A kid whose family owned the deli.. he did nothing but put the boxes of candy on the counter and customers bought them.  He won the Rupp mini bike! And he had nowhere to ride it. The family lived in an apartment over the store and there he was every day riding that mini bike in a circle, around and round the building!  

Thanks for taking the time to share that story Tom. I think it's cool that the kid still found a way to enjoy his prize, even if he didn't have to work too hard to get it. Good fortune begets good fortune, I guess.

Thank you all for your support. I should have more pics to post in a couple of days

Regards,

David G.

Hello People! It's time for another update.

Here are the interior panels, painted and ready for detailing. I do have some plans for working with the detail process to try to differentiate the various surfaces and materials with subtle color variations. 

58_Edsel_12.jpg.9a45589a98a8a0963e1c6221f11a58ce.jpg

The carpet is a layer of embossing powder applied to wet oxide primer. After allowing a day for the primer to cure and shaking off the excess powder, I painted it with a mixture of oxide primer and the Rustoleum pink that I'm using for the body and interior. I felt that the carpet should be a different shade of pink. After the paint fully dried, I followed it with a generous spray of Dull Coat to protect the surface. I'm very happy with the way this has turned out.

Thank you all for the interest and support you've all shown so far, it really does mean a lot to me.

David G.

58_Edsel_11.jpg

• David G. changed the title to AMT's 1958 Edsel Pacer: WIP