Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time to kick up some scale road dust....and some water mist, too!

tim boyd

Enough warm weather still awaits to hook up your favorite scale tow vehicle and drive your drag and ski boats to the lake, reservoir,  river, or whatever.  Unload 'em, start 'em up, and put the (boat) pedal to the metal and stir up some water!   And on your way home, maybe it's time to put the pedal to the metal of your tow vehicle, too!   

Several tow vehicle/boat combos below....many more pix here..... and thanks for looking!  TIM 

DSC 0763

DSC 0765

DSC 0766

DSC 0768

DSC 0770

DSC 0774

DSC 0378

DSC 0190

DSC 0086

DSC 0188

Hi Sir!

Beautiful combos. I had seen many of the towing vehicles trough past features in mags, but the boats... Many are new to me. Bravo!

CT

PS: I was looking at a 2014 issue of Rodders Journal this morning, featuring Steve Stanford's fantastic creations. He had a phantom 48 Chrysler woody pickup/wooden speedboat combo, and it was great! You could certainly pull it off should you try...

3 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Sir!

Beautiful combos. I had seen many of the towing vehicles trough past features in mags, but the boats... Many are new to me. Bravo!

CT

PS: I was looking at a 2014 issue of Rodders Journal this morning, featuring Steve Stanford's fantastic creations. He had a phantom 48 Chrysler woody pickup/wooden speedboat combo, and it was great! You could certainly pull it off should you try...

Claude...thx for the comments!

I need to dig that issue out RJ and look at it.  Little, hardly known fact:  One of Revell's top executives pushed very hard for a 1/25th scale Chris Craft barrel-back boat model; it was to have been marketed with the Revell 1948 Ford Woody kit.  Others at Revell were not too supportive, and the idea died.  Not too sure it would have been a great seller for them, but boy would it have been a cool model kit!   Best....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

Just now, tim boyd said:

Claude...I need to dig that issue out RJ and look at it.  Little, hardly known fact:  One of Revell's top executives pushed very hard for a 1/25th scale Chris Craft barrel-back boat model; it was to have been marketed with the Revell 1948 Ford Woody kit.  Others at Revell were not too supportive, and the idea died.  Not too sure it would have been a great seller for them, but boy would it have been a cool model kit!   Best....TIM 

Hi!

Insider information... Interesting. These boats are icons nowadays, I saw a few last year on lake Winnipesaukie in NH. No woody tow vehicle in sight, however. Alas...

CT

Tim,

These are all amazing builds. I really like the Firebird combo most though. 

Years ago I cut the top off of a 39 Ford Sedan to see what I could make of it. Fast forward to a couple of years ago and I dug it out and started the paintwork with the thought of building a tow rig and boat combo. Like most of my projects, I need to get back on it. Thanks for the eye candy.

Later-

IMG_20190208_093719187.jpg

Nice set of builds Tim!  These would make a great lineup at the lake!

Funny you posted that burgundy T today too - was just trying to remember which mag that one was in. I seem to recall an article on rat rods with extreme proportions (a long wheelbase and healthy channel-job in this case I guess) and I think that was the accompanying build to the article?  My memory may be failing me there though...

Always enjoy seeing your work!  Thanks for posting!

Edited by CabDriver

I love all of these! The Firebird is my fave, but also how cool would it be to see a '55 Thunderbird Gasser pulling a drag boat & trailer on the road in real life, lol. Seeing the pic of the box for the Firebird/boat/trailer combo just makes me wonder how many of those would sell in today's market if the mold still exists and it was to be re-issued. I can only think it would sell like crazy, but I could be wrong. Perhaps maybe even as a Coca Cola version to boost sales with the collectible market as well.

On 9/6/2020 at 9:07 PM, Modlbldr said:

Tim,

These are all amazing builds. I really like the Firebird combo most though. 

Years ago I cut the top off of a 39 Ford Sedan to see what I could make of it. Fast forward to a couple of years ago and I dug it out and started the paintwork with the thought of building a tow rig and boat combo. Like most of my projects, I need to get back on it. Thanks for the eye candy.

Later-

IMG_20190208_093719187.jpg

Tom...that sounds like a great project.  Which boat were you thinking of pairing up with this?  TB  

On 9/6/2020 at 11:06 PM, CabDriver said:

Nice set of builds Tim!  These would make a great lineup at the lake!

Funny you posted that burgundy T today too - was just trying to remember which mag that one was in. I seem to recall an article on rat rods with extreme proportions (a long wheelbase and healthy channel-job in this case I guess) and I think that was the accompanying build to the article?  My memory may be failing me there though...

Always enjoy seeing your work!  Thanks for posting!

Jim....your memory is right on the money.  The how-to was in the other model car magazine, around 2007 or so...it was inspired in part by one of the Mark Morton era "Hop UP Annuals".....his car was a '25T and more traditional in flavor (as you'd expect from him), but very inspirational.   More photos of that one here...(scroll down to images #100-105)...TB  DSC 0122

On 9/7/2020 at 10:50 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Cool duos!  I don’t have a single boat built!  Maybe that should change!

FYI- aside from boats from our standard model companies, Dumas makes some interesting boats in 1/24 scale.  

Tom....I've bought several of the Dumas 1/24th scale boats over the years..... building up one of those would be a major project and one requiring a whole new set of modeling skills....still.....the boat topics they've chosen are so, so cool.  

I could see you building the original 1960 AMT Trophy Series Chris Craft kit....lotsa potential for adding character to that kit and a pretty easy (read quick!) project too....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd