Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time to kick up some scale road dust....and some water mist, too!

tim boyd

On 9/7/2020 at 2:41 PM, Eddie Cremer said:

Both the cars, and the boats look absolutely fantastic.  Does the 'Bird come with the "hidden headlights" inserts shown in the box art?

Eddie....there's a story there....(yeah, I know, there's always a story with my model projects, right?  :)  ). 

Anyway,  the kit box shown was a one-time AMT release back in 1968.  The Firebird was actually a "guess" by AMT as to what the 1968 Firebird would look like, because MPC had scooped up the Firebird promo contract and AMT was denied the design information from GM that year.  The kit was itself was adapted from AMT''s prior 1967 Camaro annual kit, and yes it contained those hidden headlights, but other than that the kit was a real zero.  In addition to the regular annual kit release, AMT paired the same kit with their newly retooled "Hull Raiser" drag/ski boat kit , which itself was a major revision of their c. 1963 Rayson Craft Trophy Series kits (the lavender metallic and candy blue boats in the pictures at the beginning of the thread). 

While that's the story on the kit box, the model car pictured was actually the Revell 1968 Firebird 400 Ram Air kit introduced around 2000,  built showroom stock other than the wheels and tires, and painted MCW Automotive Finishes 1967 1/2 & 1968 Pontiac Verdero Greeen Metallic.  The boat was the Hull Raiser kit (actually, the same kit but sourced from the c. 2005 Model King 1970 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible/Ski Boat combo kit).   It too was built largely box stock, but with a Pontiac 421 Parts Pack engine (can't recall if it was the AMT or Revell Parts Pack version) replacing the boat kit's 427 SOHC Ford, to better match up with the tow vehicle. 

Yep, way too much info, but since you asked.....and thx for the comments on the models!   TIM

On 9/7/2020 at 12:51 PM, espo said:

I have always enjoyed your boat builds and wished that more of these kits were made available. Your builds inspired my to build this a few years ago.  

IMG_0848.JPG

David...very cool to hear you were inspired to build this one. 

Really liking the matching paint layouts, and the matching Chevy Rallye wheels on the trailer, too.  Your boat engine looks like a Chevy Rat Motor, yes?  And the Jet Drive, was that Steve Perry's Calnaga Castings version or something else? 

Anyway, really well done!  Cheers...TIM

All.....really, really pleased to hear your interest in 1/25th scale boat and drag models.  

Try as I might, I could never get the former Editor of the other model car mag to even consider running a 1/25th scale ski/drag boat project, but Gregg and Harry not only indulged me in running my ski/drag boat kit history article (around 2007 or so) but also ran several how-to articles on some of the boat projects shown above.  If you are considering building an actual model of these, and you have a Model Cars mag back issue collection, may be worth looking up those old articles for some ideas and inspiration.  

In the meantime, you can see 175 images of my entire 1/25th scale ski and drag boat collection of completed models here....both overall and detail shots, and some in-progress shots of several of the projects like the Turbine boat and the Allison V12 boat (and yes, not only was there a real one, but it was a winner at the Salton Sea 500 races in SoCal... 

Thanks again for your comments and thoughts on this....TIM 

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Tom...that sounds like a great project.  Which boat were you thinking of pairing up with this?  TB  

I have the Hemi Hydro repop that I narrowed a bit (as far as I got) and I have a sealed repop of the AMT Customizing 3-n-1 boat. I have in mind a nicely polished Chris Craft style boat. Any ideas?

Later-

15 hours ago, tim boyd said:

David...very cool to hear you were inspired to build this one. 

Really liking the matching paint layouts, and the matching Chevy Rallye wheels on the trailer, too.  Your boat engine looks like a Chevy Rat Motor, yes?  And the Jet Drive, was that Steve Perry's Calnaga Castings version or something else? 

Anyway, really well done!  Cheers...TIM

Tim, Thankyou for your interest. I went with the all Chevrolet theme on this. The Boat engine is a Big Block and left over Blower parts all from the parts stash.  The engine got turned 180 to match the Jet Drive set up from Calnaga. Can't say enough good things about their parts as I also used the Interior kit as well. I added Diamond Plate Steps on the trailer along with lights and License plate. The two tone paint job was to simulate what I had on a 1:1 boat years ago. Some minor smoothing on the Chevelle Wagon including the Hood and Tailgate, and tinted the windows. I always liked how you had your tow vehicles sharing paint treatments with the Boats. Only the High Bucks guys would do that in the past, it does cost a lot extra in real life.   

• 3 months later...

I can't believe I missed a Tim Boyd boat thread!  I am working on two boats today, both long stalled projects that have floated to the top of the queue.  I did a Google search to revisit MCM forum boat posts and found this one!  Unreal.

All the hot rod nerves in my body are screaming NOOOOOO  but I must confess, top of the pick as many others have said is the Firebird combo.  That colour is so rich!  I too like to colour match my tow vehicle when I can and on several occasions, I have built a new tow vehicle dedicated to the job.

Today's work was on a narrowed Hemi Hydro which turns out I painted in 2017 ( thought it was last year LOL!) and another totally off the wall job that I will start a new thread on tonight.

Keep on floating!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Tim, the PU roadster and green bote have been an inspiration since it was published.

I guess half is better than none! The bote is still a WIP. Body is in primer now and I'm working on the altered interior. The engine is a combo of resin<PB and scratch made pieces.

Image may contain: table

Image may contain: text that says 'JACKSON n 60'

And of course the matching tow rig...

IMG 8577

Edited by James2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 8:22 AM, James2 said:

Thanks Tim, the PU roadster and green bote have been an inspiration since it was published.

I guess half is better than none! The bote is still a WIP. Body is in primer now and I'm working on the altered interior. The engine is a combo of resin<PB and scratch made pieces.

Image may contain: table

Image may contain: text that says 'JACKSON n 60'

And of course the matching tow rig...

IMG 8577

James.....somehow I missed your post in this thread and found it today while looking for one of Alan Barton's threads.  

Your boat engine is rockin', and the tow vehicle is flat out awesome.  Killer paint fog job, too.  Please keep us posted on any updates....

Cheers....TIM  

• 4 months later...
On 9/7/2020 at 10:51 AM, espo said:

I have always enjoyed your boat builds and wished that more of these kits were made available. Your builds inspired my to build this a few years ago.  

IMG_0848.JPG

SUPER AWESOME!!

Tim, these are some of the coolest models I’ve seen so far on this forum... I’m so glad I stumbled across them!... They are all so fun to look at and the forethought that has to go into your paintwork is notable. GREAT WORKS!🤠👍

7 hours ago, Venom said:

SUPER AWESOME!!

Thank you. I wish there were more boat kits but realize the cost of developing a kit and turning a profit would be a chancy deal at best. I have a couple more in my stash and hope to build another soon. Again thank you for the kind words this means a lot coming from a fellow builder.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 5:08 PM, tim boyd said:

In the meantime, you can see 175 images of my entire 1/25th scale ski and drag boat collection of completed models here....both overall and detail shots, and some in-progress shots of several of the projects like the Turbine boat and the Allison V12 boat (and yes, not only was there a real one, but it was a winner at the Salton Sea 500 races in SoCal... 

Thanks again for your comments and thoughts on this....TIM 

My comments are, "They all look great - Funman!" 😁

Was this the Salton Sea boat you're talking about? Cream Puff?

20210705_112522.png.1676578313dca787a90d94d0596441ab.png

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/articles/salton-sea-monsters-part-1.733/

Edited by Oldcarfan27

On 6/21/2021 at 1:19 AM, Venom said:

Tim, these are some of the coolest models I’ve seen so far on this forum... I’m so glad I stumbled across them!... They are all so fun to look at and the forethought that has to go into your paintwork is notable. GREAT WORKS!🤠👍

Thanks Josh!  Really appreciate your thoughts! 

Funny, i was just looking through my12" tall stash of 1960's mags at all those drag/ski boat pix, and thinking once again, summer is a great time for building drag and ski boat models.   

Very best regards...TIM

• 4 months later...
On 9/6/2020 at 8:15 PM, tim boyd said:

Claude...thx for the comments!

I need to dig that issue out RJ and look at it.  Little, hardly known fact:  One of Revell's top executives pushed very hard for a 1/25th scale Chris Craft barrel-back boat model; it was to have been marketed with the Revell 1948 Ford Woody kit.  Others at Revell were not too supportive, and the idea died.  Not too sure it would have been a great seller for them, but boy would it have been a cool model kit!   Best....TIM 

Had to chime in here with a 1:1 surf&turf combo:

'51 Ford F100 tow truck 

163425152_55ChrisCraft19Capri002(1).jpg.fba29d68b62bfb953a28764da8841be7.jpg

'55 Chris Craft 19' Capri 

256152019_55ChrisCraft19Capri003.jpg.f3bef9f084c3f5bbc9dabd1fdd9fdd34.jpg

Restored 1976

1042265628_55ChrisCraft19Capri004(1).jpg.05e7c2be784eb496410d612c4b77af79.jpg

'55 Chris Craft 19' Capri, Flat Head 6 Cyl with 3hree Zenith 1 Brl Carbs

259552477_55ChrisCraft19CapriFlatHead6Cylwith3hreeZenith1BrlCarbs.jpg.ad6781833e5560f252a8506d82f662ab.jpg

Found the "LAST" crank on the right coast...

1301439252_55ChrisCraft19CapriFlatHead6Cylwith3hreeZenith1BrlCarbsRebuild.jpg.9dfbe3406777a45057cc21e0d728063c.jpg

Transom was a real mess!

738257045_55ChrisCraft19Capri007TransomRebuild.jpg.d760ff41dad1e4df2db3799ac419b1c9.jpg