Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 1/25th 2001 Harley Dyna and c. 1963 Parts Pack Harley Chopper

This was mostly a box stock buildup, but painted with real Harley 2001 Concord Purple paint.   The main change was cutting away the engine from the frame pieces and assembling it as a stand-alone component.  Super easy to do and made a big difference in the appearance. 

This bike model was included with the Revell  Ford 150/Harley Anniversary edition combo kit....these were pricey when new, but last I checked they were pretty affordable as old kit purchases....and the pickup itself is a pretty nice kit, too. 

This buildup was featured in Model Cars magazine back around 2007 or so.....thx for looking....TIM 

PS - I tried to get Revell to later reissue the bike as a stand-alone kit, and they reportedly liked the idea, but it never made it to the market.  Perhaps the licensing costs made it an unaffordable business proposition, but that's just my guess; no facts to back it up. 

DSC 0711 R-M Harley Dyna Glide Concord Purple Factory Stock

Edited by tim boyd

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Perhaps the licensing costs made it an unaffordable business proposition, but that's just my guess; no facts to back it up. 

My better half worked for H-D for many years at the Juneau Ave headquarters. While their licensing dept has to keep value in the brand, they unfortunately have a propensity to be rather heavy handed and short sighted (and perhaps a bit greedy) Heard many a story over the years...

Edited by Phirewriter

15 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Great looking bike! Would love to see some Harley's as stand alone kits in 1/25th. Actually any manufacturers bike would be nice.

15 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Great looking bike! Would love to see some Harley's as stand alone kits in 1/25th. Actually any manufacturers bike would be nice.

Keith, Revell did produce small scale Harley kits, I have this which dates from the early ‘60s boxed for the U.K. market and is I believe 1:25 scale.

Sadly the box is rather distressed, only has one of the two models present and is missing the rear tyre, but all that can be overlooked by its cool factor !

If anyone has a replacement rear tyre I will happily pay shipping to the U.K. 1E8A096C-CE49-45E1-842C-3C20D8F52A97.thumb.jpeg.b5ab97466b5d5dfa8ee122dc8c4f31d0.jpeg72474441-A6D2-4211-A968-CBCAABB308E4.thumb.jpeg.73d842e4bd1edd7930a4fb6187d8f067.jpegC152A48B-8E46-4180-86F0-00950105B550.thumb.jpeg.dae9f75364106415f3114b67bd5182b8.jpegBA7FDEBC-D1F7-4E80-9FC1-1DB14A1AA540.thumb.jpeg.f15d5c1cbfa44881d88cfe4ff8bf531f.jpeg

Edited by crossfire 2004

6 hours ago, crossfire 2004 said:

Keith, Revell did produce small scale Harley kits, I have this which dates from the early ‘60s boxed for the U.K. market and is I believe 1:25 scale...

Thanks for posting!  I've never seen that British issue of the "2-in-1" Harley kits.  Incredibly cool!  The Harley was originally released as a Revell "Parts Pack" back in the 1960's.

The last time we saw it was in the "Grease 2" movie tie-in version, which was a LONG time ago.  About 1982.  For that re-issue Revell re-boxed 4 of its 1/25 scale motorcycle kits in 2 boxes:  the Harley, BSA Gold Star, Triumph and Honda.

grease_bike.jpg

Here's that c.1963 Revell Parts Pack Harley Chopper, built up and assembled. 

It is 1/25th, and the only two domestic releases ever were the original Parts Pack version, and the 1982 "Grease" issue shown above. 

Over the years I have seen images of several different releases of this kit for overseas markets, though. 

The Harley Parts Pack kit, both in the original and Grease releases, can bring anywhere from $50 to $150 in the collector market here in the States these days.....TIM 

DSC 0083 Harley Chopper

DSC 0088 Revell Parts Pack Harley Chopper

These both look great...a lot better than I'd expected.

I never paid much attention to smaller scale bike kits, as even some of the larger ones look klugey and toylike to me.

The molded detail on the little chopper is really impressive, and indicative of why I was such a fan of Revell's work back in those days.

Nice work, Mr. Boyd.