Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stalled 1967 Mustang GT coming back in the queue.

Bills72sj

• 2 weeks later...

Well, change of plan, found a 427 SOHC motor in my 68 Shelby kit. I want to go with that. The chassis I just finished with the 289 Hi-Po will now be used in my 1967 Shelby GT-350. I finally decided I am not liking the mediocre dark green paint job so it is going in the purple lake for a lighter color change.

Took the stock chassis and performed a 'minitub' job on it today. Did not want nor need to go full Prostreet on it. I removed as much material as I could to move the leaf spring and rails inboard with out having to hack up the gas tank. I made the cuts so I could still install all the stock parts. (My parts box is pretty thin). I scrounged up some NASCAR slicks because they are just the right size and sanded the tread.

67 GT chassis before.JPG

67 GT chassis after cutting.JPG

67 GT chassis reassembled.JPG

14 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

You made that look easy Bill.  Good work!

So what color are you thinking about?

Thanks Sam, I a thinking a lighter color like white or silver or yellow. I want to decal it like a period late 60's drag racer. I have to see what I have in my decal stash.

11 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Nice job on the chassis.

That original paint looked good to me, be interesting to see the alternative.

I really need to think about doing one of the Mustangs in my stash.

Thanks, Nigel. It was kind of a transparent type color. I did not do mist coats but went full coverage from the 1st spray. Doing so allowed the color to move away from all the ridges. Now that I have an airbrush I can do better. I know if I left it the way it was, it would always bother me.

I picked the Mustangs simply because my display cabinet is well stocked with GM and Mopar at present.

1 hour ago, espo said:

Well done on the chassis. Now all you have to do is add a little material along the rear to body space to fill it in. 

Thanks David, I do have to do a little housekeeping. I have already trimmed the interior side panels to compensate for the intrusion of the wheelwells.

Painted the body today. Had some airbrush struggles. Medium one blows bubbles, baby one worked for 1st color used, but it resorted to blowing bubbles too. Had to use my siphon airbrush which did ok, but I ran out of paint about 80% of the way covering the last piece (the hood).

IMG_1664.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

After two weeks of curing, the silver body turned out pretty nice. I sanded the not quite covered hood to get some bumps off of it. Now I need to see if I can find some matching silver paint. I have some of the chrome parts for the 427 SOHC motor soaking in Westleys. I tried using the last dribble of beach from the laundry room but it did nothing. (It didn't even smell like bleach).

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, slusher said:

Great project, love that dark green paint. Awesome chassis surgery going to follow along!

Carl, the green was pretty, just applied incorrectly. It is gone now. Chassis surgery was pretty easy. Trimming the interior panels for the mini tubs was time consuming.