Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1956 Thunderbird

Richard Bartrop

One of a box of models I brought back from a visit home in Christmas of 2018,  I finally got around to repairing it.  It was originally built in the early '80s, and the only piece that didn't survive the years was a vent window.  I don't know if it even came from the factory like this, but the paint job was based on one that belonged to someone my Dad knew.  It's Testors pink with the spare done in Humbrol Ivory.  I think it was the first model I ever attempted to paint with an airbrush, and it took two or three tries to get it right.  The kit Windshield was replaced with clear acetate for a more scale appearance.

56Tbird1.png.6e1106d7e6b030edcf6d5ec5fa30d047.png

56Tbird2.png.73ca564f5f26140796944b8c91489423.png

This has really stood the test of time. It looks beautiful even today. I really like this kit as a simple build that yields fantastic looking results. I have built one of these and have a couple more in the stash. They are cheap to pick up and, again, look good when finished.

Later-

On 9/8/2020 at 10:45 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

I put Humbrol Clear Gloss on all the chrome when I first built it, which really helps to keep it nice and shiny.

Indeed it does! Not sure if it's just the lighting, but it also appears that the clear coat has yellowed just a bit over the years which has made the chrome components look even for realistic. Love the color as well.

27 minutes ago, Watertown said:

Indeed it does! Not sure if it's just the lighting, but it also appears that the clear coat has yellowed just a bit over the years which has made the chrome components look even for realistic. Love the color as well.

Humbrol Clear Gloss does have a bit of a yellow tinge to it.  Their Gloss White is really bad for yellowing with age.