Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the custom parts in the '50 Ford convertible?

I've been reading up on kit reviews and such for the '49/'50 Ford coupe/convertible..... My understanding is that all the good kustom parts are in the '50 kit. I'm wondering.... what all custom parts come in the convertible? I want to build the coupe, but with the kool custom parts...... I've also seen where there are hop-up parts for the engine?

Thanks for any help!

The '50 convertible includes nearly all of the custom parts from the original issue.  Chopped windshield, two custom front end extensions (both with quad headlamps, one with canted lights), another more basic front pan and grille surround, custom taillight pods, rear pan, rear license plate pod, and multiple sets of grilles and chrome bumpers.  Not included from the original issue are: fender skirts, chopped Victoria roof, chopped Carson top (it was modified into a half top which is in the kit), fender extensions to provide hooded stock headlamps, custom wheel covers, rear fins, and a couple other parts.  Speed equipment consists of finned heads and a dual carb intake, which should drop onto the '49 block (which has no axle hole).  The '50 convertible also has a parallel leaf raised front axle setup.

Those illustrations (and those on some other original issue kit boxes) take considerable liberties compared to what is actually in the box.  There were fins like that in the original kit (they aren't in any other issue) but the kit pieces are canted outwards and not straight up.  The taillight pods are still in the kit.  The rest of the rear styling is pure fiction, nothing like that was ever included.  The Victoria roof was in the original issue, but it is gone from the reissues.  The rear glass for it is still included though.

The original Showboat issue from 1967 has only the more basic custom parts.  The Carson top was cut down into the half top for that issue.  All of those parts were blocked off to turn what was a $2 kit into a $1.70 kit.  The decontented Showboat kit fit into the narrower box that AMT used for some kits back then.  The handful of drag version parts (plastic slicks, raised front axle, and exhaust dumps) were added for that issue and didn't resurface until the Round 2 reissue.

On 9/7/2020 at 6:55 PM, Mark said:

The '50 convertible includes nearly all of the custom parts from the original issue.  Chopped windshield, two custom front end extensions (both with quad headlamps, one with canted lights), another more basic front pan and grille surround, custom taillight pods, rear pan, rear license plate pod, and multiple sets of grilles and chrome bumpers.  Not included from the original issue are: fender skirts, chopped Victoria roof, chopped Carson top (it was modified into a half top which is in the kit), fender extensions to provide hooded stock headlamps, custom wheel covers, rear fins, and a couple other parts.  Speed equipment consists of finned heads and a dual carb intake, which should drop onto the '49 block (which has no axle hole).  The '50 convertible also has a parallel leaf raised front axle setup.

What  kit Are you talking about With parallel leaf raised front axel setup. Mine dont. mine is dated 2006

32 minutes ago, larry ray said:

What  kit Are you talking about With parallel leaf raised front axel setup. Mine dont. mine is dated 2006

2006 is pre-Round 2.  Only the 1967 issue and the Round 2 reissue (both called Showboat) have the drag parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Another quick question, Guys.... The seats in the '49 coupe are heavily patterned. What do the seats in the '50's interior tub look like? I realize that the rear seat is part of the tub, but if the seats are smooth, I could alter the '50's interior to look right in the coupe.....

Thanks.........

Looking at Leslie's pic again, it seems the convertible's seats ARE smooth..... Am I seeing that right?

Edited by JollySipper

18 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Another quick question, Guys.... The seats in the '49 coupe are heavily patterned. What do the seats in the '50's interior tub look like? I realize that the rear seat is part of the tub, but if the seats are smooth, I could alter the '50's interior to look right in the coupe.....

Thanks.........

Looking at Leslie's pic again, it seems the convertible's seats ARE smooth..... Am I seeing that right?

heres a better pic of the seats, i removed the rear and used the seats from a studebaker in mine. the fronts are smooth but the rears have a button in the centre of each side in a round depression (i highlighted the buttons with pencil)

DSC06206.JPG

DSC06203.JPG