Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kremer Porsche 935 (K3) 79 LeMans winner

This is the 1979 Lemans entry by Kremer Porsche that scored an amazing victory over the sports prototypes. Kit is by Platz NuNu and it built most box stock except for the aftermarket photo etch kit offered by the manufacturer. Kit was a joy to built with few fit problems. Decals were exceptional and responded well to solvent. I did not have this winner in my collection and was pleased when it was available. See under photos for additional information on this build.  Thanks for looking.

DSC07067.JPG.5d51d9e20125369926f28dbe4dd6d121.JPGInterior was well done but a little sparse. Seatbelt material required some extra finesse and was a little thicker than I am used to. It looked good when done. Unfortunatly most of this is hideden when the body is on. 

DSC07072.JPG.65e0ec69db0c8f890638e4fc2d4b6249.JPGOverall I am pleased with how the car turned out. There was lots of fiddly body detail that soaked up two days of work. DSC07073.JPG.a60c007cbc161510a76f810de8bb4f6c.JPGBusinss end of the car. The twin turbos were replicated nicelyDSC07074.JPG.d31d07996ff7a72b45514755f06ba9f3.JPGThe wheels and tires were a very tight fit. Some of the body had to be ground away for them to steer. But it sits right. 

DSC07075.JPG.66b263762a0c834dad44fb9e136ebd09.JPGLots of phot etch parts here, dzus buttons, inlet screen, wing endplate, spoiler, window bracing and antenna. The wing vent was painted like this on the real car....or is it engine grime. 

DSC07076.JPG.34f4e688ad2bc3ff70ad60669f41bbe6.JPGThose vents were a lot of fun to open up and took a few hours and some custom cut sandpaper to even them out.  Getting the decals to lay down in them was actually the easy part. 

5 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

I have been debating on this kit, after all it was a Le Mans winner, and now you have pushed me over the edge.  Really a good looking build Rich and thanks for posting the photos and details.

Thank you Gary for the nice compliment. Its stuff like this that keeps me going. 

53 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Pretty interesting story on the driver combination on this car.  Where the money came from and how the brothers ended up behind bars.

Ok, I like a good scandal - where can I read about it?

And the model is great!  If I had space.... and money....

Edited by randyc

33 minutes ago, randyc said:

Ok, I like a good scandal - where can I read about it?

Just Google or Wiki the Wittington Brothers.  Each of them paid Kremer $20K for the ride and  their money came from their aviation company which moved "cargo" from south of the border.  Needless to say those goods did not go through customs.

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Just Google or Wiki the Wittington Brothers.  Each of them paid Kremer $20K for the ride and  their money came from their aviation company which moved "cargo" from south of the border.  Needless to say those goods did not go through customs.

What an interesting story.   Even moreso is the connection to Randy Lanier and the Blue Thunder team.  I saw them and the other Marches run at Charlotte in the CamelGT races in the 80s.  And I have the 1/32 Monogram slot car of the Blue Thunder March.   

13 hours ago, Silver Foxx said:

This looks great , I have not started mine yet but if it comes out as nice as yours I will be very happy .

Pretty straight forward kit. You can do the body separate if you like as it snaps on the chassis quite easily. If you have the PE kit, that is quite fiddly. Good luck with yours. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 8:26 PM, Dave B said:

Great build Rich! I have never heard of that brand, maybe I should have a search and see what else they do.

Dave B

Dave, Aoshima/Beemax are big into aircraft and have recently gotten into cars. What they have done is excellent and just below Tamiya as far as quality is concerned. What I really like about them are the PE kits they provide as alternatives to stock out of box builds. Etiher way they are a joy to build and make handsome additions to a collections.  I am starting to see more of them on this forum.