Model Cars Magazine Forum

Internet Explorer 11 Support is Going Away

I just went through the release notes for the new version of forum software.

I can tell you that there will be some significant changes in the forum interface, but I'm also pretty sure you'll like them. They've clearly thought carefully about how the boards get used, and found ways to legitimately make them better. This is unusual in the industry, and I'm impressed with both what they've changed and the thought that went into it. 

Support for Internet Explorer 11 has been removed from the new version. There are lots of good reasons for this, and if you're using Internet Explorer now, you should upgrade to the current version of a modern browser.  Most people here are using FireFox, Chrome, Safari, or Microsoft Edge.  Those browsers will continue to be supported. 

It will probably be a month or so before I upgrade, so you have time. Any of the above browsers will be a major improvement over IE11. They will import your bookmarks, and perhaps even your stored passwords. FireFox is my personal favorite for its emphasis on privacy, and general robustness. But any of the above browsers are good. 

If you have questions, leave them in a comment below. 

On 9/9/2020 at 6:05 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Will it still work on XP with Chrome? There are a ton of sites now that either give me clock errors or unsupported protocol errors, or plain old not secure warnings (like Fotki, but those I can work around). If not, what about Windows 7?

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur...

It should. It isn't the operating system as much as the browser. IE11 is insecure, and getting less supported as time goes on. There are some good technical reasons for this. IE11 is also a terrible browser. You'll have some adjustments to make, but once you do, I think you'll find yourself a lot happier. 

I'd also note that there are no more routine security updates and your system is more or less wide open to being hacked. I see there's an update you have to install manually. But, I recommend you update to something current. If you're connected to the Internet, you are getting probed all the time.