Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dyno Don '73 Mustang Pro Stock "What if"

magicmustang

Well, I've had this '73 MPC Mustang Mach 1 in my stash for years. Decided to build a Pro Stock out of it as it had most of the needed parts. I know the MPC "Minuteman" Mustang was not a real car, but I have an old incomplete set of decals for "Dyno Don's Pinto".  "What if" he also ran a 429 Mach 1 Mustang? Going to give it a try. I read in the forum that Dyno's Pinto was probably painted Ragoon Red. Thoughts and suggestions?

P1060536.jpg

Edited by magicmustang

I’m sure other racers ran the 69/70 Boss 429 engine in that Aerodynamic body style so go for it.  I found a set of the Minuteman decals at a swap meet so it’s on my list of the next 100 kits I will build by 2030. ?. I come across pictures of old 71-73 drag cars and there are some decal makers that do some different ones.

Dyno Don later ran a '70 Mustang that was mostly yellow. He never had a "signature" paint scheme the way many of his contemporaries did, but from 1965 on usually had something in the "warm" end of the color scale--reds, oranges, yellows, etc. No blues, greens, black, or white as his main color. 

I say get creative with the paint job, since it's a phantom anyway. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Got the body painted.

The decals shattered in warm water (kinda figured they would, they were dated 1-74 on the back). Yes, I sprayed them with clear lacquer first. I'll order a set of Dyno Don 1973 Pinto Pro Stock decals from Slixx. 

P1060539.jpg

Edited by magicmustang

• 1 year later...
On 9/9/2020 at 6:14 PM, vamach1 said:

I’m sure other racers ran the 69/70 Boss 429 engine in that Aerodynamic body style so go for it.  I found a set of the Minuteman decals at a swap meet so it’s on my list of the next 100 kits I will build by 2030. ?. I come across pictures of old 71-73 drag cars and there are some decal makers that do some different ones.

Bet ya gave up on me. I finally got her done.

Dyno Don 1973 Mustang Pro Apr 2022.JPG

Dyno Don 1973 Mustang Pro rear Apr 2022.JPG

Dyno Don 1973 Mustang Pro Engine Apr 2022 (2).JPG

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Bet ya gave up on me. I finally got her done.

Looks good.  Did you scratch build the shock towers?  I’ve started on a Warren Tope 73, a 71 Wayne Andrews Stock car and the 72 Sam Auxier drag car.  The goal is to get them done by the end of summer but we will see how that goes.  Here is a preview.

DEB18E93-0928-42AA-9154-55FF00BDA774.jpeg

Edited by vamach1