Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Grand Prix. + Outdoor Shots.

StevenGuthmiller

Steve that is just stunning! Watching you take us through your build step by step was an education to say the least. It would be fun to see in person. Do you get to the Spud Valley Show/Swap in Fargo in October ever? Hope it’s on this year.

49 minutes ago, RJL said:

It would be fun to see in person. Do you get to the Spud Valley Show/Swap in Fargo in October ever? Hope it’s on this year.

Thank you for the kind comments Russell!

I'm relatively new to the area, so I have never heard of the "Spud Valley Show".

I would be interested in attending, and any information that you could provide would be welcome.

I understand from a quick web search that it is apparently still a go for this October and it appears that it is primarily a model rail road show.

Is there a model car contingent to the show?

And if so, is it a display only affair, or is there some sort of contest?

Just any information that you could share would be great!

Could be a fun local diversion from an otherwise very depressing model show year. ;)

Thanks!

Steve

On 9/11/2020 at 9:16 AM, bh1701 said:

The shine on this model is amazing, so here is my one question for you. What's your process for polishing the model? What kind of polish do you use, what do you apply it with, and what's the technique? (Sorry, I guess that was more than one question!)

Thanks,

Bart

Thank you Bart!

I pretty much do all of my models the same now.

They are all painted with automotive lacquers and polished using successively finer grits of "Micro-Mesh" polishing pads, usually starting at about 3600 and working my way down to the finest 12000 grit.

I follow that with some Novus #2 "Fine Scratch Remover", followed by a little Turtle Wax "Scratch and Swirl Remover" to finish, both applied and polished with soft cotton cloth, usually just reclaimed T-shirt material.

As a rule, I will give the entire model, including the glass and chrome, a quick once over with Novus #1 "Clean and Shine" near the end of construction.

This helps remove and smudges or finger prints and also guards against dust accumulated from static electricity.

Then it's into a display case as quickly as possible to keep it clean. ;)

Steve

Steve, the Spud Valley show in the past has sometimes included a display of car/trucks and a competitive show. For sure there will be people selling kits. Sometimes some rare items show up. It’s at the Fargo Marriott near West Acres Mall in Fargo. 
I am trying to get more information from their contact person and will let you Know if I find out more. 
Russ

44 minutes ago, RJL said:

Steve, the Spud Valley show in the past has sometimes included a display of car/trucks and a competitive show. For sure there will be people selling kits. Sometimes some rare items show up. It’s at the Fargo Marriott near West Acres Mall in Fargo. 
I am trying to get more information from their contact person and will let you Know if I find out more. 
Russ

Terrific Russ!

Apparently, there was a model contest in past years at the Spud Valley Hobby Show, (Plastic on the Prairie) sponsored by the local IPMS chapter, (Red River Scale Modelers) but I have not been able to verify that anything of the like will be taking place this year.

See what you can find out.

I would be interested in making an appearance if I'm not the only guy who shows up with a few model cars! :P

Steve

18 hours ago, slusher said:

Stunning model!  Steve, you’re skill at model building is impressive!

9 hours ago, ewetwo said:

That is stunning Steven

I appreciate that guys!

I wasn't really sure how this build was going to turn out, or whether or not I was going to really like it when finished, but now, I'm seriously considering ditching the '68 Coronet build that I had planned, in favor of a '64 Pontiac Bonneville convertible that I have waiting in the wings! ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Hi Steve, and happy anniversary! As all the others have said, this is an amazing build. The details are just incredible and the overall look is “real”.

As in, it really looks like a real car. I saw most of the WIP thread, but I realize, I need to go back for another look. Your builds are awesome top to bottom, but for me, your interiors are second to none. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Steve