Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
1972coronet

New Feline Family Member !

Recommended Posts

Last Thursday was a sad and stressful day... I had to put my 17 year companion Oliver to rest . I had him for 16 1/2 of those years ; each day a pure joy . He was half-British Shorthair , and half "whatever" --- and those Brit features and mannerisms were there in spades . I'll be retrieving his cremated remains next week ; they'll be placed in my 'Feline Shrine' along with the remains of my other companion , Molly Anne ( 17.05.2002 - 11.08.2019 ) .

The next day , my neighbour presented me with a 3 month old kitten ! That act certainly assisted in the transition ---while still mourning the passing of my beloved Oliver Sabastian .

Meet 'Buster' ! His purr motor is so pronounced and calming . He's definitely got some Siamese lineage , as his muzzle and physique --esp. that tail !-- exhibit... and that vocal Siamese nature .

 

Chief-08sep2020-002.jpg

Chief-08sep2020-001.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a cutie !  I like cats. I had to have the two adopted but to sleep about two years ago or so. That was within a couple months of each other. Kidney problems on both. I have resisted pulling the trigger on getting another but perhaps someday ?  Good luck with little Buster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like cats too. Didn't much feel like getting another one after I had Spooky put down after 14 years, due to cancer. A couple years later, one of the local ferals abandoned a 4-week old kitten under the house, and after hearing him crying all night, I brought him in. 2 years later, he's a big 'ol black-and-white tom with a friendly disposition, but a real fighter for neighborhood territory. 

Yeah, cats are great companions and friends, with surprisingly different and unique personalities. Glad your little guy has found a good home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have four entirely different cats. One kills the mouse or rat, one brings it indoors sometimes, one poses beside it and one sleeps all day and eats all the food he can get out of the can or box of biscuits. 

But they all creep into the kitchen and explore the food bin when they get the chance. They are very grounding. And funny!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you , one and all 🙂 !  

His tail is as long as his body --- he carries it like a scorpion when he's scampering about ( I'll try to get a photo of the elusive chaton in action ) .

From a Spiritual and philosophical standpoint , his arrival couldn't have been better : one long-time companion passes-on to the Other Side ; a new life is presented the same day... the circle of life is complete in this instance.

Okay , enough Existentialism for now ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel your pain John.

We have a 14 year old cat that earlier this summer began vomiting excessively.

We waited for a couple of weeks to see if it would pass, but it didn't, so we took her to the vet to discover that she has a tumor in her small intestine which is blocking her ability to take nourishment.

She has been eating very little for more than a month and is getting extremely thin, but I really hate to have her put down when she still seems to be coherent and relatively comfortable.

It's really hard to have a loved animal, who has been a part of your family for 14 years, euthanized when they will still curl up purring in your lap and demand attention.

All we can do is sit on the sidelines and wait for some sort of sign that she is no longer comfortable or able to function.

Could be another month, or another few days.

There's really no way of knowing.

 

 

 

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sorry for your loss, John.  I'm a long time dog person, but have had cats (Siamese) in my life in the past.  We bond deeply with our furry friends and losing one is never easy. I've lost two senior dogs in the last 14 months, and have two others that are age 12 and 13... your new kitten looks like a sweetie...

Edited by Rob Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for your loss but happy for your new found furr baby... We have 4, two sets of siblings. The first set we got out of a rescue, the second set we acquired by there mom and all 5 kittens making a home in our garage, they were only a day or two old when we found them. We found them all homes including mom...

He is a beautiful cat, we call ours “our second generation of kids” 

Edited by SCRWDRVR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to all whom have replied , and shared their stories with us ❤️ .

Here's a couple of photos of my dearly-departed Molly and Oliver

Molly Anne ( 17.05.2002 - 11.08.2019 ) and Oliver Sabastian ( 04.06.2003 - 03.09.2020 ) 

665755691_02jan2018CouchMates001.jpg.d554a0cdaf81a7ad492d00e4fde0bcd4.jpg05may2018_2017_couch_couple_001.jpg.b2fbe74350b66bdaf166dc763b238a2c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Thank you to all whom have replied , and shared their stories with us ❤️ .

Here's a couple of photos of my dearly-departed Molly and Oliver

Molly Anne ( 17.05.2002 - 11.08.2019 ) and Oliver Sabastian ( 04.06.2003 - 03.09.2020 ) 

665755691_02jan2018CouchMates001.jpg.d554a0cdaf81a7ad492d00e4fde0bcd4.jpg05may2018_2017_couch_couple_001.jpg.b2fbe74350b66bdaf166dc763b238a2c.jpg

Beautiful cats, and sorry that you lost them.

I've never been a cat person.  When my wife and I met in 2001, she had a cat named Jasmine.  It didn't like me, and when she moved from Independence up here to St. Joe, she left the cat with her folks.  Jasmine got out and lived in the wood pile in their back yard for 3 months.  When we were down there one time with me at work and her visiting her parents, my wife found her and put her in the truck with her and came to get me from work.  (I commuted to KC at the time.)  Over time, for reasons I don't understand, Jasmine turned into "my" cat.  She got to where she would curl up next to me and sleep with me every night.  She started having some issues and the vet said she had high blood pressure so I gave her blood pressure medicine twice a day for two years.  Finally, when she was a little over 14 years old, she just started laying around, wouldn't eat, wouldn't do anything at all.  We took her to the vet and he told us that she was, in his words, "checking out."  Just about everything on her was failing so we made the difficult decision to have her put down.  We'd gotten another rescue cat named Missy in about 2004.  She was a partial inside/outside cat and someone in the neighborhood was using antifreeze to cut down the stray population and she died of poisoning in 2007.  A few months later, a manager at work had a couple strays dropped of on his doorstep and was trying to find homes for them.  One was an older kitten named Miranda and we brought her home as a companion for Jasmine.  She is still just as ornery as ever and at a check-up a few weeks ago the vet says she is healthy and still going strong at 13.  About 3 months after Jasmine left, we got another cat at the shelter named Dottie.  Not nearly independent and stand-offish as Miranda, she's loving and playful.  But still not really a lap cat.  She is about the same age as Miranda, but is in very good health.  A couple of months ago, we decided to add one more cat to the mix because at some point, one of the other two will succumb to something.  We named her Midge and although they said she was 6 years old, they were wrong.  She is no more than a year or so old, and she is a lap cat, as well as highly active, since she is so young.  The other two are having problems adapting to her presence, but are calming down somewhat in the last couple of weeks.  So that is my tale of being slowly morphed into a "Cat person" when it was completely against my will.  

Edited by Eddie Cremer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for your loss.I had three cats.Mother,father and one runt little kitten.Over the last couple of years,I had to put two of them down.Very hard to do.I had the mother for 18 years.Sweetest cat I ever saw.The father,who was about 8 years old, died mysteriously one day, and I had to put the baby down.She was only around 6 years old..The mother and the baby both had feline cancer.I buried the father, and had the other two I had cremated.No more pets for me, that’s for sure.It just was too difficult when they all died.The father looked just like the black cat on here,Shelby.☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 3:50 PM, webestang said:

Shelby says hello...

Hello ! Sharp looking companion !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 5:04 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I feel your pain John.

We have a 14 year old cat that earlier this summer began vomiting excessively.

We waited for a couple of weeks to see if it would pass, but it didn't, so we took her to the vet to discover that she has a tumor in her small intestine which is blocking her ability to take nourishment.

She has been eating very little for more than a month and is getting extremely thin, but I really hate to have her put down when she still seems to be coherent and relatively comfortable.

It's really hard to have a loved animal, who has been a part of your family for 14 years, euthanized when they will still curl up purring in your lap and demand attention.

All we can do is sit on the sidelines and wait for some sort of sign that she is no longer comfortable or able to function.

Could be another month, or another few days.

There's really no way of knowing.

 

 

 

 

 

Steve

That's the most difficult decision to make ---- being judge and jury for a superior being . Cats are masters of hiding their suffering... until they cry-out in pain . Oliver was on the decline since I had to put Molly ( my "miniature mountain lion" ) to rest . From that day-forth , he became depressed ---- still himself , but depressed . 

I'd have talks with him : "You let me know when you're ready . Make sure that there's zero question that you want to be released ; don't stick around for my benefit if you're not well ."  Last Thursday ( 3rd September ) he let me know .

It's so difficult to be objective when it comes to our animal superiors ( I feel that dogs and cats are superior to we bipeds ) , because of the 'language barrier' . Truly , it is a powerful gift to be a guardian to these guys ; not to be taken lightly . 

I have Molly's ashes in a nice little cedar box . I have two Maneki Neko statues keeping guard , along with other feline-centric items . I feel honoured to be able to keep her remains ; I feel blessed that I had her in my life , especially at a critical time . And now , I'm afforded the same gift with my "Bratty Brit" , as his remains join Molly's in my shrine .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Eddie Cremer said:

Beautiful cats, and sorry that you lost them.

I've never been a cat person.  When my wife and I met in 2001, she had a cat named Jasmine.  It didn't like me, and when she moved from Independence up here to St. Joe, she left the cat with her folks.  Jasmine got out and lived in the wood pile in their back yard for 3 months.  When we were down there one time with me at work and her visiting her parents, my wife found her and put her in the truck with her and came to get me from work.  [...]  Over time, for reasons I don't understand, Jasmine turned into "my" cat.[...] Finally, when she was a little over 14 years old, she just started laying around, wouldn't eat, wouldn't do anything at all.  We took her to the vet and he told us that she was, in his words, "checking out."  [ E]verything on her was failing so we made the difficult decision to have her put down.

  We'd gotten another rescue cat named Missy in about 2004 [...] someone in the neighborhood was using antifreeze to cut down the stray population and she died of poisoning in 2007. 

If I ever caught anyone purposely poisoning animals , I'd beat them senseless . I have ZERO tolerance for "blah-blah-blah" heads whom feel empowered and righteous in their self-imposed quest to harm or kill companion --or stray-- animals ! Such blatant disregard for living creatures ---- true signs of a psychopath . Just give me a few minutes alone with them  to tune 'em up .

Thank you for sharing your feline story with us 🙂 , and for being a wonderful guardian .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

That's the most difficult decision to make ---- being judge and jury for a superior being . Cats are masters of hiding their suffering... until they cry-out in pain . Oliver was on the decline since I had to put Molly ( my "miniature mountain lion" ) to rest . From that day-forth , he became depressed ---- still himself , but depressed . 

I'd have talks with him : "You let me know when you're ready . Make sure that there's zero question that you want to be released ; don't stick around for my benefit if you're not well ."  Last Thursday ( 3rd September ) he let me know .

It's so difficult to be objective when it comes to our animal superiors ( I feel that dogs and cats are superior to we bipeds ) , because of the 'language barrier' . Truly , it is a powerful gift to be a guardian to these guys ; not to be taken lightly . 

I have Molly's ashes in a nice little cedar box . I have two Maneki Neko statues keeping guard , along with other feline-centric items . I feel honoured to be able to keep her remains ; I feel blessed that I had her in my life , especially at a critical time . And now , I'm afforded the same gift with my "Bratty Brit" , as his remains join Molly's in my shrine .  

I knew that Jasmine was getting a little worse over time.  We had no clue about the high blood pressure until I noticed what looked like blood in her eyes.  We took her in and had her checked and then just gave her medicine for it and she was fine.  My wife had gotten her as a kitten so it was particularly difficult for her to consider the eventuality that we might have to have her put down at some point.  But there comes a point where it is better for the pet to be released than to try and keep them going when they are suffering, and are only going to get worse.  That day came, when after a couple of weeks of extra sedentary behavior she climbed into her littler box one day and was too weak to get back out and it broke my heart to have to lift her back out, because she couldn't do it by herself.  She gave me a look as I did so that seemed to me to be saying "I'm tired, and I'm ready to go."  The vet said her blood pressure was worse, her kidneys were failing, her temp was way below normal and he told us very gently that it was time to let her go.  And he cried with us as she drifted off to sleep.  Worst thing I've ever had to do.  But the joy she gave both of us those 14 years far outweigh the sorrow of that moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

 

I had my suspicions about who it was, but no way to prove it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eddie Cremer said:

I had my suspicions about who it was, but no way to prove it.

I wouldn't arbitrarily attack someone ( I practise non-violence unless I'm against the proverbial wall ) based-upon heresay and rumours . However , if I caught someone in the act , I would go on the offence . I'd likely make some flyers whose statement is , to the effect of , Be Aware --- There's a Psychopath In The Area Who's Feeding Poison To Feral Animals . Consider This a SERIOUS Warning ! Then see if that bull___t stops . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great name for your new kitten!! I am a cat person. One inside and one outside...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been there done that too, feel your pain. 😪  My two cats are sitting with me at the moment, and pass their condolences.  I didn't grow up with pets, other than a Parakeet.  A friend in Salt Lake who I met skiing, had several cats, so that's when I learned how cool cats are.  All mine have been strays, except one that was a purebred Abyssinian which was too much of a pest so I gave it back to the breeder to find another home.  Had one that got cancer in the ears that was put down.  Had a few that were outdoor either on a regular basis, or one time, Coyotes are around here.  All my kids got dogs.  LOL  This is my older cat Fuzz Therapy.

IMG_3034_Fotor.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

This is my older cat Fuzz Therapy.

That's one gorgeous companion ! Thank you for the photo and for sharing your story with us .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your cat , John. Glad you have another to fill the void.

I will openly admit-I am not a cat person, I do respect their place though . Being  a dog lover the ratio at our house is (was) 3 indoor cats and  2 outdoor barn cats and ONE dog, Where we live a cat or two is nice to have because of mice , chipmunks ...and when you have those varmints you will get snakes. 

The last two weeks there has been a  dog running loose in  our area. It is a large dog and looked to be very well taken care of. It showed up on my property a few times looking for food I'm sure. Because we have two outside cats that live in the barn there is always food and water for them. We knew our momma cat (Stella) had babies a few weeks ago but didnt know exactly where . Most of the time she   gives birth in the woods and when the babies are a few weeks old she brings them one at a time closer to the house for us to find. One day a little more than a week ago I saw that stray dog chase Stella across the yard-she outran the dog and made it up a tree, safe for right then. We saw her a few times after that and then she was gone. The next day after we noticed her missing I happened to go in the barn for some reason and heard kittens crying. went in the side room and found 7 black kittens. My wife picked them up and saw that they have teeth starting to come in-so- for the last week I have to buy this kitten milk from the Vet supply store @$4.50 a can along  with fancy canned cat food-

XdheNWk.jpg

the part that bothers me the most , for the last two weeks this guy has been on my land every day looking for that dog. Where this trail cam is set up-he is deep on my land ,  

GjfJDUh.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, von Zipper said:

Sorry to hear about your cat , John. Glad you have another to fill the void.

I will openly admit-I am not a cat person, I do respect their place though . Being  a dog lover the ratio at our house is (was) 3 indoor cats and  2 outdoor barn cats and ONE dog, Where we live a cat or two is nice to have because of mice , chipmunks ...and when you have those varmints you will get snakes.

Thanks much 😎. I love all animal companions ; one can't go wrong with a superior being who's there for you no matter what .

There used to be a lithe Calico ( Dilute Calico , specifically ) around the apartments here ; her name was 'Baby' . That little scamp kept all of the Date Palm Rats at-bay ! Haha ! She'd patrol the area where the trees are , making certain that those rats didn't come-down the trees . Funniest thing to observe .

Hopefully mother cat will return . It's unusual for a mum to abandon her brood , regardless of the circumstances . Heck , I've seen countless videos of canines caring for kittens ; mother cats feeding puppies ; and other "unusual" practises of matriarchy .

Thank you for being a great pet parent , and for sharing your story with us 🙂 .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...