Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

Well guys, it's back to the drawing board for me.

Bear with me because it will probably be another fairly long haul. :)

I'll be doing the usual full detail job on this one, likely using either the guts from the AMT '68/'69 Road Runner/GTX kits, or possibly the Revell '68 Charger.

It will be a Hemi car, and I'm thinking white with a red bumblebee stripe and probably a dark red interior.

But you know how it goes.

Anything can evolve between now and when it's finished.

image.jpeg.92d907f9c180f4bd044cae69f9d420d3.jpeg

image.jpeg.e7627bf1ac2d430187a4b411b77fb2c4.jpeg

image.jpeg.8d310989d2e2ac5bc5539d37a3b73b5f.jpeg

Steve

• Like 2

Another masterpiece in the making ! 

IMO , the Revell 1968 (ad seq.)  Charger would be a better donor than the AMT 1968-1969 R.R. / GTX , as the Revell offering is just *that much* nicer .

Here's the 1968 Dodge Coronet Trim brochure :

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1968ColorAndTrim-02.shtml

And the regular brochure :

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1968DealershipDataBook-04.shtml

Looking forward to following this one ! 

I will be following this one as well. Steve , may I say it is not a race. I build much slower than you and do not get the same quality results. That said, I really enjoy watching your projects come together, and an all in for this one as well.

Jerry

I'll be watching, as I have a Modelhaus repop I want to build sometime. Not locked in on a color, but thinking of maybe Turbine Bronze. 

A mechanic in my town has a '68 R/T or SuperBee (I don't remember which) that he personally restored in dark turquoise to look showroom new, right down to the overspray on the floor pan. Well he did make one change--the hood has a '60 Six Pack type scoop on it, and the whole hood is the same color as the rest of the car. If you know old cars and know what you're looking at, it's a bit jarring at first, kinda like seeing a cowl induction hood and Rally Wheels on an otherwise completely stock '64 Nova. But I have a feeling I'd get VERY used to the look if I were around it for a few days. B)

7 hours ago, catpack68 said:

I will be paying close attention to this build myself as I have a resin copy of the MPC 68 Coronet R/T I have had for years.One of these days I’ll get to it?

I have a resin '68 Coronet too; SMH I think. It's okay but not as crisp as an original MPC

2 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Now you REALLY have my attention.

I have a really nice builtup. But Im afraid mine will NOT be built OE stock

spacer.png

Since it's a Dick Landy DODGE, you are forgiven! LoL

BTW...does yours include the nifty little motorbike? That's a cool little scooter!

8 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Now you REALLY have my attention.

I have a really nice builtup. But Im afraid mine will NOT be built OE stock

spacer.png

I was trying to build that car with my original kit back in 1968. Unfortunately it was lost in our basement fire that year. 

• Xingu locked this topic