Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

Been following along quietly and your conversion using the Charger parts looks great !  It's never as easy as we hope especially the engine panels , and the track & ride height always need work but the result is well worth the effort .  I also like that you removed the molded in wipers , kind of like door handles it will make a huge difference when the model is finished . 

• 1 month later...

Beautiful work on that bad boy Steven!  I don't know why I haven't looked at this tread yet, I guess I'm slippin' up LOL.

I actually had the opportunity on several occasions back in the day to ride in a friends Hemi '68  Black on black R/T. I'll never forget the glove box door popping open and hitting me on the knees when he would speed shift that torque monster. He had it a few months and it was stolen. When they found it it was totally stripped.  Ahhh, those were the days.

Edited by TransAmMike
added something

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Any updates on this bad boy ? It's been two months ( 25/10/2020 ) since your last posting... 

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Beautiful work on that bad boy Steven!  I don't know why I haven't looked at this tread yet, I guess I'm slippin' up LOL.

I actually had the opportunity on several occasions back in the day to ride in a friends Hemi '68  Black on black R/T. I'll never forget the glove box door popping open and hitting me on the knees when he would speed shift that torque monster. He had it a few months and it was stolen. When they found it it was totally stripped.  Ahhh, those were the days.

Thanks for the posts guys.

Nothing has been happening on this, or any modeling project of mine for quite some time.

Things just kind of got away from me over the past couple of months.

Along with the usual distraction of the holidays, we had a beloved pet of 15 years pass a little over a month ago, which sort of depressed my mood to spend time in the shop.

Since then, I began some more improvement projects on the house, and recently adopted a new kitten, who seems to keep me quite occupied and guessing.

Now with Christmas and New Years approaching, I doubt that much will be happening on the bench for at least a couple more weeks.

But work will continue once things begin to settle down.

My only real time frame for finishing this Coronet was to hopefully have it done before the next NNL North show in May of 2021, which gives me about 4 1/2 months to finish.

I believe that I should still be able to reach that goal.......maybe. ^_^

Steve

Wow Steve you do have a lot going on.  It is a busy time of year and along with the other stuff going on it can get a bit overwhelming.  I too know how tough it is to lose a pet who is more a dear family member then a pet, we lost a 16 year old Dachshund and 15 year old German Shepherd in the last 2 years and we are still affected by the loss.  

Anyway, good luck with everything!!

24 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks for the posts guys.

Nothing has been happening on this, or any modeling project of mine for quite some time.

Things just kind of got away from me over the past couple of months.

Along with the usual distraction of the holidays, we had a beloved pet of 15 years pass a little over a month ago, which sort of depressed my mood to spend time in the shop.

Since then, I began some more improvement projects on the house, and recently adopted a new kitten, who seems to keep me quite occupied and guessing.

Now with Christmas and New Years approaching, I doubt that much will be happening on the bench for at least a couple more weeks.

But work will continue once things begin to settle down.

My only real time frame for finishing this Coronet was to hopefully have it done before the next NNL North show in May of 2021, which gives me about 4 1/2 months to finish.

I believe that I should still be able to reach that goal.......maybe. ^_^

Steve

Sad to hear of your loss of a family member..Hoping to see the Coronet at NNL North 2021..If we can get across the border by then..I've only got three years left on my pass port..Government screwed me out of a year closing the border..LOL..Also sure miss seeing my grand kids in the Cities..

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Sorry to learn of your loss of your animal companion . I can sympathise with that for sure !

• 5 weeks later...

Trying to get back into the shop to start back on this project.

Today I spent some time playing with the dashboard.

I've decided that I'm going to try to use the interior floor from the Revell '68 Charger so some modifications are in order.

First, the rear package shelf needed to be cut to the correct contour for the rear window of the Coronet.

Next, I decided that I would use the original dash from Coronet just because of fitment issues with the original door panels, but the upper dash pad portion was severely lacking in detail, so I pulled out the Dremel and the files and sandpaper and began the surgery required to mate the Revell Charger dash pad to the MPC Coronet dash.

It took a little thought, but it appears that it worked out in the end.

image.jpeg.455d59da59ceedc1a310709dd9591f8c.jpeg

image.jpeg.996e4e1e1034113366de45c0653bec67.jpeg

image.jpeg.ff2a1273dc0aaf0e3a6b91964752b223.jpeg

image.jpeg.ee1a18b2e41aee73d23190467e6da1b5.jpeg

image.jpeg.9beaea2786b80840dfdc56e13f11c2a2.jpeg

Steve

Sorry to hear about the loss of your pet. Congratulations on the new kitten. We are new to the kitten world, with one arriving late August and a second in December- lots of fun, and hope your new arrival will help you heal.

All the best, and will be tuning in as you update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Xingu locked this topic