Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

Hi Steve, looks like the Coronet in coming along great!  To risk stating the obvious , you do great work. I guess that is part of the hobby, to try to better the next one.

So sorry to here about your furry friend . It is difficult to see them go, I have a good idea how you feel, my buddy  Kodi left us  as Easter and I still feel his loss.  

I see your new buddy is doing well , I am sure he is helping you build!

Jerry

On 2/3/2021 at 2:07 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Taking the suggestions above for the dash pad, I began thinning the Charger pad to more closely resemble the '68 Coronet.

Jees! I guess I'd better trim my nails!! :blink:

image.jpeg.bbf5203367f29448927ea495d36e2273.jpeg

Steve

Steve, the left side of the dash pad should match the right side .

its way to thin from this angle

8 hours ago, Nazz said:

Hi Steve, looks like the Coronet in coming along great!  To risk stating the obvious , you do great work. I guess that is part of the hobby, to try to better the next one.

So sorry to here about your furry friend . It is difficult to see them go, I have a good idea how you feel, my buddy  Kodi left us  as Easter and I still feel his loss.  

I see your new buddy is doing well , I am sure he is helping you build!

Jerry

No help whatsoever! But she tries. 🙂

6 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Steve, the left side of the dash pad should match the right side .

its way to thin from this angle

Yes. These photos show the pad with the left side modified and the right as it originally was just to depict what I was doing. I’ll post some of the finished pad in a while.

Steve

Steve, I've been looking at this WIP with GREAT interest as I have an MPC '68 Coronet Convertible which is in dire need of rescuing. I've gotten pretty much what I need for it now thanks to getting things from Don and Carol before they shut down. I'm soon going to get in touch with Chief Joseph at Fireball to see about getting poverty caps and steelies for it.

Keep up the TERRIFIC work and that's a great idea to use the dash out of the Revell kits. I was eyeing original ones on the 'Bay, but the prices always get jacked up too high for my tastes. Better to modify what I already have (I have several junker Daytona kits) and use that. 👍

25 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I'm soon going to get in touch with Chief Joseph at Fireball to see about getting poverty caps and steelies for [ my 1968 Coronet ] .

Not to steer away business from Chief Joseph / Fireball ( I support him with my business as much as possible ) , but the Revell 1968 Charger has the correct steel wheels and 1968 hubcaps . I know that Fireball offers the 1969-1975 wheels & hubcaps , but those are incorrect for a 1968 model .

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Not to steer away business from Chief Joseph / Fireball ( I support him with my business as much as possible ) , but the Revell 1968 Charger has the correct steel wheels and 1968 hubcaps . I know that Fireball offers the 1969-1975 wheels & hubcaps , but those are incorrect for a 1968 model .

I was planning on using the wheels from the Revell '68 Charger, but I really didn't like the tires.

They look too small to me and they're devoid of any sidewall detail, and I'm not sold on tire decals.

So I was going to use them with a set of AMT "parts pack" red lines, but the wheels from the Revell kit are the "sleeve" type with no outer lip, so they really won't work very well with the AMT tires.

So, I ditched the whole works and ordered a set of A-12 wheels and tires from Fireball, along with a set of "street hemi" AFB carbs.

If I decide to use hubcaps, I'll use the Revell '68 parts.

Steve

16 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I was planning on using the wheels from the Revell '68 Charger, but I really didn't like the tires.

They look too small to me and they're devoid of any sidewall detail, and I'm not sold on tire decals.

So I was going to use them with a set of AMT "parts pack" red lines, but the wheels from the Revell kit are the "sleeve" type with no outer lip, so they really won't work very well with the AMT tires.

So, I ditched the whole works and ordered a set of A-12 wheels and tires from Fireball, along with a set of "street hemi" AFB carbs.

If I decide to use hubcaps, I'll use the Revell '68 parts.

Steve

I'm right there with you regarding the uninspired tyres in the Revell '68 Charger ; those decals don't sweeten the deal , either . 

Fireball's A-12  [  1969 1/2 440+6 Super Bee and Road Runner for those unfamiliar with the jargon  ] 15"x6" wheels and accompanying tyres are beautiful pieces . Even on the 1:1 car , those wheels are special --- and difficult to find .

Fireball's carburetors are works of art !

6 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

nice work on the interior Steve.

Thanks Scott.

Still getting the engineering done on all of these interior pieces.

The door panels are pretty much finished, so now I'm able to start working on engineering the new door panels and original Coronet seats to fit the Charger interior base.

I've already gotten the door panels pretty close to where they will need to be situated, with some tweaking to come.

I've gotten the Charger rear package shelf shaped to fit the Coronet and added back the MPC interior locator tabs to help with final positioning of the interior.

The rear seat is what I'm working on now.

I've split the seat and added material in the center to widen.

I've also decided to separate the seat from the back to make things easier to finish.

Now I've begun adding some more material to the outer edges of the seats to get them to fit the tub appropriately.

This is all a considerable amount of work just to eliminate the convertible top wells, but to me it's worth the effort, not to mention a lot of fun to stretch the brain a little. :P

image.jpeg.baf766891a635f0dea1c2a4bb0d95682.jpeg

image.jpeg.e07d547c8494a1d21eeb52f5d5641c09.jpeg

image.jpeg.82163a2a7cf0e507cffc9bf13bf44988.jpeg

image.jpeg.e5fa87e41e18652a9cbb7ef647347a18.jpeg

Steve

On 2/14/2021 at 3:58 PM, 1972coronet said:

Good call on separating the rear seatback from its seating portion ; definitely more realistic .

Those Coronet-specific door panels are works of art in themselves ! 

Another outta this world restoration !

Thanks John!

Still working on widening out the rear seat.

I think I have them pulled out to the width that I need.

Just getting the seams filled and sanded and then I will add some piping and hopefully they will be ready for priming, and then we'll see what we have. <_<

image.jpeg.41daa45f05ca007049afbd37c83eaa82.jpeg

image.jpeg.22ae51030eb8f6a856251e267927b5f2.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

46 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just getting the seams filled and sanded

What is your preferred filler and does it differ whether you are using enamels or lacquers as a top coat.  I ask because I've used Tamiya putty sometimes successfully and yet another time small depressions appeared where I'd filled a low spot months after completing the model. 

I always like what you're able to accomplish with the door panels by separating them from the interior bucket. Eventually I'll have to try the technique with one of my builds. 

1 hour ago, AMT68 said:

What is your preferred filler and does it differ whether you are using enamels or lacquers as a top coat.  I ask because I've used Tamiya putty sometimes successfully and yet another time small depressions appeared where I'd filled a low spot months after completing the model. 

I always like what you're able to accomplish with the door panels by separating them from the interior bucket. Eventually I'll have to try the technique with one of my builds. 

This is Tamiya putty.

I've tried Squadron and glazing putty in the past and so far, I hate them all! :D

Steve

25 minutes ago, AMT68 said:

Oh, I see. Well thanks for non recommendations.....lol. Nice seamless job on the seats. 

Yeah, I just really dislike working with putty in general.

I guess that all of the ones that I have used have their pluses and minuses.

The Squadron is really too soft and shrinks quite a bit, but it dries very fast, (actually too fast. I usually have to throw out half of the tube because it dries up) and the green stuff gives a good contrast with the plastic so you can tell what you're doing.

The glazing putty probably works the best and there is virtually no shrinkage, but there's less contrast and I really hate having to mix the stuff.

The Tamiya gray gives a good contrast, doesn't seem to shrink as badly as the Squadron, but it's really filthy to work with.

But all in all, I think I'll stick with the Tamiya for the time being.

I usually don't have to use a lot of it on my projects anyway........Thank God!

Steve

The rear seat didn't turn out half bad!

A few small areas to be addressed.

There are a pair of creases in the side bolsters of the seat back that I didn't get filled as well as I would have liked, but after looking at them, I decided to leave them alone.

Often times these vinyl seats had wrinkles and stuff in them, and if they will even be noticeable after paint, they'll add just a little more character. ;)

image.jpeg.ce1f6c8c48df200aa745f83b02eb3f16.jpeg

image.jpeg.65f002347231216dea0179d7899a39d6.jpeg

Steve

• Xingu locked this topic