Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

These pieces are looking fantastic! You certainly have done some great work on this interior!

If you work up a casting deal with Ed, I'd be inclined to be in the market, although both of my '68 Coronets are drop-tops. I could still use the front seats, arm rests, dashboard parts, and front sections from the door cards. Most of what these two gluebombs had were customized into oblivion!

That looks TERRIFIC Steve! MUCH better than the original kit!

One of these days, I'll get around to restoring the convertible I have. I think I have all that's needed as far as parts to get started......it's just getting the time to squeeze that one in down the road.

18 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks guys!

These interior parts are finished and on their way to Pennsylvania for Ed to reproduce in resin.

Get your check books ready fellas! :)

I'm in for a set!  That's beautiful work, Steve!

• 2 weeks later...

Getting started on some engine work.

I'll be using the Hemi from the Revell '68 Charger kit, with the substitution of the intake and exhaust manifolds from the AMT '68 Roadrunner.

Carbs are from Fireball, and I added the vacuum advance from the Revell kit to a M.A.D. distributor base.

image.jpeg.f6d38102b031e050ea914846fc091558.jpeg

image.jpeg.76ae114a3ee6221db711484026b15982.jpeg

image.jpeg.93689604746a362a16ad3dbd1b98e7f7.jpeg

image.jpeg.0ac3657d822809b244f423f5c02296d1.jpeg

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Any updates on your WS23J8 , @StevenGuthmiller ? Or is it on hold until you get the interior back ? That Hemi engine is coming along nicely !

No real updates of substance John.

Just working on refining and making a few engine parts.

Thinning belts, trimming the intake manifold around the edges, scratch building an oil filter........that sort of stuff.

The interior is not holding things up at all.

I have plenty to do without it. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

4 hours ago, krassandbernie said:

I have Steve's interior in hand and am working on getting it molded. I've had a few things slowing me down in recent weeks such as clearing just enough back orders out the door to keep customers from rioting; but it should be smooth sailing from here on out.

No problem Ed.

No pressure from my end. :)

Steve

I would very much be interested in seeing the 'engine mods' you just mentioned. I always thought that 99% of the pulley set-ups could stand having a thinner appearing belt; and almost every kit lacks an alternator bracket. You also have me intrigued with thinning the intake down where it meets the heads! Are you going to add any bolt detail too? I think with Joseph's carbs you almost have to balance out the level of detail a bit more on the parts easily seen on the top side of the engine. Too many times I've seen parts on a model in close proximity that were clearly 30-50 years apart in terms of the level of detail........much like you'd have if you placed Joseph's carbs on top of an engine out of an early '60's Johan Chrysler kit. You don't have that much to overcome here on this one with the engine parts sourced! LOL!

11 hours ago, krassandbernie said:

I would very much be interested in seeing the 'engine mods' you just mentioned. I always thought that 99% of the pulley set-ups could stand having a thinner appearing belt; and almost every kit lacks an alternator bracket. You also have me intrigued with thinning the intake down where it meets the heads! Are you going to add any bolt detail too? I think with Joseph's carbs you almost have to balance out the level of detail a bit more on the parts easily seen on the top side of the engine. Too many times I've seen parts on a model in close proximity that were clearly 30-50 years apart in terms of the level of detail........much like you'd have if you placed Joseph's carbs on top of an engine out of an early '60's Johan Chrysler kit. You don't have that much to overcome here on this one with the engine parts sourced! LOL!

I haven't yet finished thinning the belts, but they're not too terrible on the Revell '68 Charger part as is, so they don't require too much thinning.

I will be doing a little work with the alternator and power steering pump brackets as well.

I didn't really thin the intake manifold flange.

That would require quite a bit of work on the intake, and/or repositioning of the heads.

What I meant by "trimming" was cutting back the edges and corners to fit the contours of the block and heads better.

I don't know if you can see the difference or not in these photos.

image.jpeg.96eb241c4d52e8dc700e02a66973c66f.jpeg

image.jpeg.a2f7c0ebaf870fe5035b58da21dc5b6e.jpeg

Steve

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

That engine is shaping up nicely Steve.  Those Fireball carbs are sure great looking.

Thanks Mike!

Here you can see the results of thinning the belts.

All of the belts have been thinned except for the lower, (long) portion of the alternator belt for comparison.

I don't think that I want to try to go much thinner for strength reasons.

image.jpeg.385790382a85b0c496d7681f8f28d175.jpeg

image.jpeg.a644431b9161f27b2b1a3c1f9bf73094.jpeg

Steve

Looking good Steve! I thought about the Johan intake as well; but had a brain fart for a moment (earlier today) thinking you were building a 383 instead of a Hemi (not looking at the photos in your post at the time); and then I got side tracked with family life and dismissed the notion of pulling a Johan Road Runner kit out to look at the intake manifold! LOL!  Johan typically nailed every detail except for the chassis and interior in their kits............with the exception of their funnycar kits.

Edited by krassandbernie

3 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

So far so good .

Just my 2cents.

But the intake manifold from a Johan kit is much more accurate than either the AMT or Revell version . I have several spares if you want one or 3

2 hours ago, krassandbernie said:

Looking good Steve! I thought about the Johan intake as well; but had a brain far for a moment (earlier today) thinking you were building a 383 instead of a Hemi (not looking at the photos in your post at the time); and then I got side tracked with family life and dismissed the notion of pulling a Johan Road Runner kit out to look at the intake manifold! LOL!  Johan typically nailed every detail except for the chassis and interior in their kits............with the exception of their funnycar kits.

I just looked at the Johan one as well, but just like the Revell piece, it won't fit under the hood.

The rise is too high.

Adding the Fireball carbs apparently adds enough height to the engine assembly that with the carbs and air cleaner added, the hood will not close correctly.

I guess this is one of those circumstances where accuracy will have to suffer a little bit somewhere in order for things to fit properly.

Steve

14 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I just looked at the Johan one as well, but just like the Revell piece, it won't fit under the hood.

The rise is too high.

Adding the Fireball carbs apparently adds enough height to the engine assembly that with the carbs and air cleaner added, the hood will not close correctly.

I guess this is one of those circumstances where accuracy will have to suffer a little bit somewhere in order for things to fit properly.

Steve

Ahhh, good to know before I went through all the trouble getting that far along I suppose! All things considering, I still think the AMT intake looks good!

On 3/28/2021 at 2:20 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks Mike!

Here you can see the results of thinning the belts.

All of the belts have been thinned except for the lower, (long) portion of the alternator belt for comparison.

I don't think that I want to try to go much thinner for strength reasons.

image.jpeg.385790382a85b0c496d7681f8f28d175.jpeg

image.jpeg.a644431b9161f27b2b1a3c1f9bf73094.jpeg

Steve

Have you considered separating the pulleys, cutting groves in them where the belts run and running thin black tape to simulate belts. With all the beautiful work done on the interior and the amount of detail in the rest of the motor, I am betting you could easily fix up the pulleys as I have described.

12 minutes ago, butter said:

Have you considered separating the pulleys, cutting groves in them where the belts run and running thin black tape to simulate belts. With all the beautiful work done on the interior and the amount of detail in the rest of the motor, I am betting you could easily fix up the pulleys as I have described.

Yeah, I’ve thought about doing modifications such as this, but as with all things, one must know where to stop. A build could go on forever unless limitations are set. 😊

Steve

• Xingu locked this topic