Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

i tend to  

scroll thru the builds on my I phon - but this stuff 

really needs to be opened and stared at on a larger screen ...

just thinking that Augie Hiscano would really appreciate this engine build

some of you listers know this  - and Steve - I think you are familiar with his stuff - did you ever meet Augie ??

I knew Augie well -  and when it came to American engines - Augie was THE MAN -

but boy is this a nice build  ...

41 minutes ago, absmiami said:

i tend to  

scroll thru the builds on my I phon - but this stuff 

really needs to be opened and stared at on a larger screen ...

just thinking that Augie Hiscano would really appreciate this engine build

some of you listers know this  - and Steve - I think you are familiar with his stuff - did you ever meet Augie ??

I knew Augie well -  and when it came to American engines - Augie was THE MAN -

but boy is this a nice build  ...

Nope, don't know Augie.

I've only really been "out of the modeling closet" shall we say, for the past 6 or 8 years, so I really don't know of many of the "old timers" in the hobby.

I've done most of my building in relative obscurity for most of the nearly 50 years that I've been building.

Just started getting involved in "the scene" in the past decade or so.

Steve

Augie was a two time winner of the GSL and the acknowledged king of the Hot Rod modelers - and a friend. 

Passed away - well no - actually died rather suddenly/no warning - about 12 years ago ...

He often built engines - many different kinds - just for display.  

Kept them in a display at Orange Blossom Hobbies - he was the manager of the train dept there - for many years

I used to stop by Orange Blossom and just stand there and stare at those engines - before or after I bought whatever it was that I was buying ...

sometimes before and after ...  staff there must have thought there was something wrong with me - 

perhaps there was ... I think his son still has his collection of engines - will try to find out ...

there might be a few other members who know exactly what Im describing ...

While I'm working on the chassis and a few more engine bay mods, I decided it was time to begin the task of making the removable hood hinges.

I did this on my '64 Grand Prix, and liked how it worked out, so I'm going to do it again on this project with a couple of possible changes.

I first drilled the correct sized hole in the inner fender to accommodate on of the magnet disks.

Then, with a tiny Dremel reamer, I hogged out a portion of the hinge to accommodate another.

Now I just have to work on how I want to do the connection between the hinge and hood.

I have a couple of ideas.

image.jpeg.b1132bcf5c3b7452c25e8aeebdbcba93.jpeg

image.jpeg.5e119044112f82d9ec4210efe9e41de0.jpeg

image.jpeg.daec0fb8d886102abb35550517d0ba5a.jpeg

Steve

Steven, I've been admiring your expertise for years and do believe your models are among the very best to be viewed.  

I do think you can do better, concerning the pulleys and belts on the motor.  Also, in my opinion, the fan blade thickness sticks out like a sore thumb, in comparison to the nicely detailed carb work.  If I remember correctly, the street Hemis had aluminum fan blades.  The belts seem to be comparatively thick and out of scale, disturbing the overall view.

Maybe file the fan blades down to thin edges to maintain the pure styrene model.

With so much attention to detailing carbs, why not go a step further.....

1 hour ago, Mike Williams said:

Steven, I've been admiring your expertise for years and do believe your models are among the very best to be viewed.  

I do think you can do better, concerning the pulleys and belts on the motor.  Also, in my opinion, the fan blade thickness sticks out like a sore thumb, in comparison to the nicely detailed carb work.  If I remember correctly, the street Hemis had aluminum fan blades.  The belts seem to be comparatively thick and out of scale, disturbing the overall view.

Maybe file the fan blades down to thin edges to maintain the pure styrene model.

With so much attention to detailing carbs, why not go a step further.....

I’ve learned over time that the fan is usually not worth spending a great deal of time on. By the time you tuck it into the fan shroud, it will be virtually impossible to view, no matter what angle you try to view it from.

I’ve discussed these kinds of issues with others in the past.

Most of what I do, I do because I enjoy it, more so than I’m trying to get every detail absolutely and perfectly correct.

I know that people are likely never going to see some of the things that I add to a model, but I do it for me, not anybody else.

And in the the same vein, there are always going to be people that think that I should have gone farther, but as I’ve said many times before, for my own sanity, and “my” continued enjoyment of the hobby, I have to set some parameters and make some decisions as to how far I’m going to go.

I guess you could say it this way.

It’s impossible to meet everyone else’s expectations.

But as long as I’m meeting my own, all is right with the world. ;)

Oh, by the way, I did thin the belts to some extent, but short of completely tearing apart the pulley and belt system and completely redoing it, I thinned them as much as possible without getting to the point where they would have been too thin to prevent breakage.

And for the record, to the best of my knowledge, the fan is supposed to be black with an aluminum clutch mechanism. ;)

th?id=OIP.4W1bRcLeRYM7IZ-3kJJPAwAAAA&pid

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I know that people are likely never going to see some of the things that I add to a model, but I do it for me, not anybody else.

As it should be Steve!!!      .....the rest of us enjoy seeing you do it!    THX! Mr Wizard.  

Enjoyed seeing you & Mrs G,  last weekend!

Edited by Khils

1 hour ago, Khils said:

As it should be Steve!!!      .....the rest of us enjoy seeing you do it!    THX! Mr Wizard.  

Enjoyed seeing you & Mrs G,  last weekend!

Thanks Kevin!

It was good to see you too!

Although I did feel a little guilty that I didn’t get to spend a little more time visiting with you. 😑

Steve

18 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Most of what I do, I do because I enjoy it, more so than I’m trying to get every detail absolutely and perfectly correct.

And in the the same vein, there are always going to be people that think that I should have gone farther, but as I’ve said many times before, for my own sanity, and “my” continued enjoyment of the hobby, I have to set some parameters and make some decisions as to how far I’m going to go.

I guess you could say it this way.

It’s impossible to meet everyone else’s expectations.

But as long as I’m meeting my own, all is right with the world. ;)

Steve

Well put. We all build for ourselves and no one else. Building to someones expectations is called work.

17 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Well put. We all build for ourselves and no one else. Building to someone's expectations is called work.

What Steven and Bob said!  Thanks guys for putting my own thoughts into words....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Thanks fellas!

I think that I've finally decided on the color for this project.

Not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I've been contemplating this for a long time, and I've decided that I'm going with "J-Code Medium Gold" with a 2-tone gold and black interior, black bumblebee stripe and black vinyl top.

Just ordered the paint from MCW today.

image.jpeg.347bc02787df0b607dc908f25cd7f96b.jpeg

image.jpeg.db6532def151a2b7577da4eca5c0efdd.jpeg

image.jpeg.a4e72cffd2404423bababa9cc098c19f.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

I like it Steve!  i think the car looks good in that color. I am a little jealous though, being north of the border A can't get those paints right now. 

Jerry

Edited by Nazz

On 9/10/2020 at 6:13 PM, GMP440 said:

Round 2 needs to do a re release on this one.

Yeah they do, now this got me drooling, just seeing the title had that affect ! I built one of these as a kid, & would love another shot at it ! I remember experiencing the real thing as an 11 yr old, lots of excitement !

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks fellas!

I think that I've finally decided on the color for this project.

Not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I've been contemplating this for a long time, and I've decided that I'm going with "J-Code Medium Gold" with a 2-tone gold and black interior, black bumblebee stripe and black vinyl top.

Just ordered the paint from MCW today.

image.jpeg.347bc02787df0b607dc908f25cd7f96b.jpeg

image.jpeg.db6532def151a2b7577da4eca5c0efdd.jpeg

image.jpeg.a4e72cffd2404423bababa9cc098c19f.jpeg

Steve

Oh my, that's GOREOUS !

45 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think I would if I could find one! 😊

Steve

Surely some kit sometime down through the years had one in it. There were several CB radios included in various kits. Maybe you could work your magic on one of those and change it into an eight track player.

BTW.... great color choice!

Edited by Bucky

You're good Steve........REALLY REALLY GOOD.   Haven't checked on your thread for a bit and it was nice to get caught up.  Like everyone else, that color will look phenomenal on the car.   cheers, tim

• Xingu locked this topic