Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

43 minutes ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Looks great.  Did u do that with a knife, or sand or from underneath?  Your skills are amazing!

Yes, I ground out what I could from the backside with a Dremel tool and then finished with some scraping with a flat X-acto blade, sand paper and sanding sticks.

Steve

Thanks guys!

I think I've finished up the vinyl top work.

Installed the chrome strips on the C-pillars and the roof seams using 0.01 x 0.03 evergreen strip.

This time I decided to fill the roof side of the seam strips to make them look a little more correct.

image.jpeg.a8b4e37f779bc01c83d8a26530446bc4.jpeg

image.jpeg.b0a45d001879b5a1c721cd97c22f8adb.jpeg

image.jpeg.b4e54d52396c0081d0406f20c4202b7b.jpeg

Steve

If I can make a suggestion. Add stryene strips to the edges of the roof  along the roof drain gutters. If you are doing a vinyl top the original trim on the kits is / gets far to shallow compared to the added trim at the base of the C pillar area

22 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

If I can make a suggestion. Add stryene strips to the edges of the roof  along the roof drain gutters. If you are doing a vinyl top the original trim on the kits is / gets far to shallow compared to the added trim at the base of the C pillar area

I think I'm good.

I always try to sand the C-pillar trim down to about the same thickness as the drip rail trim.

Steve

Here's my latest distraction. ^_^

It was obvious to me that the extremely faint wiring on the Revell Charger firewall was going to be extremely difficult, if not entirely impossible to detail once the firewall was covered in a couple of coats of primer and paint.

So I began some experimenting with creating a wiring harness from very thin copper wire.

Once I got it to the configuration I needed, I coated the twisted portions of the wire with 5 minute epoxy to hold everything in place.

Once cured, I can begin painting the wires and get them routed for installation.

image.jpeg.961c2d15844acecc01d9297dca7bb412.jpeg

Steve

Great idea making the harness !  I've done the same thing and after painting it black you can paint the individual wires different colors where they attach to the components .  Test your paint first .  I used some craft paint and it made the wires much thicker than I planned .

Now that my interior has been returned from Ed, I can continue on with some more interior features.

The "buddy seat" was the next thing to tackle.

Thanks to a '71 Charger front seat assembly that I received from Frank Filosa, (Dodge Driver) I had a good starting point for this seat.

I started by cutting the center from the Charger seat front and back and then ground down the sides of both with the Dremel and some sanding.

Then I added some side bolsters to the base and back.

I'll do a little more refining and then I'll add some piping.

image.jpeg.3b0379d4d7ee36ef29c76d2d1e501cea.jpeg

image.jpeg.50fc49aa6a3b87f84578a9d87c291aa1.jpeg

image.jpeg.5c52d8e4a85167fe8c24d3187c2c9e8c.jpeg

image.jpeg.ca286c51e95866e040396a7a501e0f4a.jpeg

Steve

This has been a really fun and informative build. Echoing others, we really need a reissue of this body, this has one of my favorite tail light/ rear-end views of any car ever. Your color choice is very stylish, and the details are, as always, splendid. Been thinking about doing an under-dash 8-track for a project on the bench, going to try to mimic a factory unit. Yours has that nice after-market vibe; I'm thing Craig, or Realistic (Radio Shack), in which case probably would have a silver face with black accents, maybe even wood grain! A thought on 8-track labels; why bother with decals? Just print on cheap paper and seal down with white glue; remember how quickly the labels would wrinkle and deteriorate in the car? Fun memories. Keep up the great work!

On 6/23/2021 at 6:20 PM, bisc63 said:

This has been a really fun and informative build. Echoing others, we really need a reissue of this body, this has one of my favorite tail light/ rear-end views of any car ever. Your color choice is very stylish, and the details are, as always, splendid. Been thinking about doing an under-dash 8-track for a project on the bench, going to try to mimic a factory unit. Yours has that nice after-market vibe; I'm thing Craig, or Realistic (Radio Shack), in which case probably would have a silver face with black accents, maybe even wood grain! A thought on 8-track labels; why bother with decals? Just print on cheap paper and seal down with white glue; remember how quickly the labels would wrinkle and deteriorate in the car? Fun memories. Keep up the great work!

The MPC '68 Coronet will never be reissued.............neither will the '69. The '68 tooling was altered the following year to account for the 1:1 changes in body style for the '69 model; and then again in '70. That is why we are still able to enjoy the reissued '70 Super bee (first reissued by AMT/Ertl). The best you can hope for is an all new tooling from Revell; and that is highly unlikely; but not impossible. Of course, if Revell decides to tool up a '68 Coronet you can almost be certain that the roof line will be off. I have not seen an accurate roof line from Revell in the past 15 years.

6 hours ago, Rodent said:

Since you are making the extra-fancy interior, did you entertain any thoughts of scratching the optional headrests?

The head rests were brought up a couple of times during discussions between Ed and I while we hashed things out with the reproduction of this interior.

I never really had any intention of doing them myself, but they would not be a terribly difficult addition by anyone who cared to add them.

Although, it was mentioned by Ed that the tops of these seats are quite thin front to back, so it could be a little bit of a challenge to fit them.

Steve

Another thing I had mentioned to Steve regarding the headrests was that anyone who is utilizing this interior conversion package is already going to have to source the Revell '68-'69 Charger kits for the donor parts (chassis/drive line, etc.) anyway............and would already have the headrests that come in the kit. These headrests look pretty good to my eye; so there was no need to waste the time and money molding them and add to the cost of the conversion package on top of that.

Edited by krassandbernie

• Xingu locked this topic