Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

Thanks guys.

It was a little bit of a slog.

Things kept wanting to fight me, but I think I've gotten the dash panel to the point where I can accept it.

A couple more details to pick out and gauge faces to add and I think I'm calling it done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 4:24 PM, Bucky said:

It sure doesn't look like the worst part! Keep it coming, dude!! Spectacular work!

Thanks Keith!

Dash and steering wheel are finished.

Just for a recap, modified dash pad, added gauge and dash face trim, and scratch made steering wheel, steering column, levers and pedals.

I guess I'm happy with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work on the dash, the 8-Track is a nice touch.

The interior looks great so far. The gold seats are way cool, I had forgotten that gold vinyl was a thing back then. That looks like embossing powder on the floor. If so, what did you use for an adhesive? I have trouble getting mine to lay that smoothly.

David G.

3 minutes ago, David G. said:

Beautiful work on the dash, the 8-Track is a nice touch.

The interior looks great so far. The gold seats are way cool, I had forgotten that gold vinyl was a thing back then. That looks like embossing powder on the floor. If so, what did you use for an adhesive? I have trouble getting mine to lay that smoothly.

David G.

Ultimate detailing Steve. I had the same question that ol' Dave here had. Please elaborate on your carpeting process.

4 hours ago, David G. said:

That looks like embossing powder on the floor. If so, what did you use for an adhesive? I have trouble getting mine to lay that smoothly.

David G.

4 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I had the same question that ol' Dave here had. Please elaborate on your carpeting process.

It is embossing powder guys.

I just use white Elmer's glue thinned slightly with a little water and then I pour on the powder heavily, shake it around to cover everything evenly, and then pour off the excess.

In this particular instance, the powder was slightly transparent, showing a little but of shine in the background from the glue once it dried, so I gave the whole tub a light shot of Duplicolor black primer to even up the sheen.

Steve

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Excellent looking interior. That will most likely bring focus to the inside of the finished build that a lot of hardtop models don't get.

Thanks Keith.

It's always a little regrettable knowing that the interior that you spent so much time on will be hidden inside of a hardtop body, but I so enjoy the ride!

After all, I guess the point of modeling is the adventure of the build and not so much who's going to see what at the end.

I've begun to take on the attitude that "Nobody's ever gonna see it" is just an excuse for mediocrity. ;)

Steve

Beautiful!!

Now....it just needs a self-rotating base, tilted on about a 17 1/2 degree angle...... just until you're ready to install it in the body. Then, you could shoot a video for us to drool over while you tinker with the other parts! LoL

• Xingu locked this topic