Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

3 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Dont forget the K frame skid plate

Oh, thank you Bill!

More stuff to think about! :D

I think I'm going to skip the stuff at the rear end, but I suppose I could consider the skip plate on the K-member.

That one doesn't look difficult to replicate.

As far as the reinforcements behind the front wheels go, I considered that, but decided that the boxes already present represented that well enough.

I drilled a few drain holes just to make it look a little closer.

image.jpeg.ee0f1d29d9af293bc56a74055e8b4746.jpeg

Steve

• Confused 1

I sat down in the shop for a few minutes today, and as I contemplated what I should focus on next, I was taken back to Bill's suggestion of adding the "skid plate" on the K-frame.

I really like experimenting with this sort of thing, so I decided to go for it.

While it didn't take any "real" time at the bench, I suppose I spent a couple of hours of back and forth, in and out of the shop while I waited for glue to completely set.

I think it will be a nice, and unique, addition to the under carriage. ;)

image.jpeg.1b32d366ac6d71e32879b5350fd3d3b8.jpeg

image.jpeg.76ca7d6485dd67830a8ebbc8b67de9d6.jpeg

image.jpeg.66251209b4e6e227665091797c534ef3.jpeg

image.jpeg.9c6c2548ee22340d0e111eb33f481bb8.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TooOld said:

You're right about the skid plate , it was worth adding .  I've always been bothered by exhaust hangers too , never quite know what to do with them . They're never really seen so a piece of round stock is the simplest way .

Normally I don’t worry a lot about exhaust hangers, but in this case, the originals were just so obvious and “in your face” that I had to tone them down at the minimum.

Steve

Thanks guys!

I just have to bring this up in lieu of the recent discussion about the anonymous emoticons that the mods have graced us with.

In my September 23rd post, I posted a photo of the chassis that I'm working on.

Someone "reacted" with a "confused" emoticon.

This is exactly the argument that I was making when I said that these reactions are not helpful to me, or the person who posted it.

I don't know what their confusion is, and if there is something that the poster feels that I did incorrectly, or could be improved upon, a "face" does absolutely nothing to help with that issue.

I always appreciate input during a WIP thread, because there is plenty that I do not know, and very often, suggestions from the readers can help me catch things that have either been done incorrectly, or things that could be added to enhance the project.

A confused emoticon does nothing to help me correct something, and it's not helpful to the poster if they find something questionable.

I will be turning off the notification feature, so in the future, if you have a question or something legitimate to add, please just do so.

Steve

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks guys!

I just have to bring this up in lieu of the recent discussion about the anonymous emoticons that the mods have graced us with.

In my September 23rd post, I posted a photo of the chassis that I'm working on.

Someone "reacted" with a "confused" emoticon.

This is exactly the argument that I was making when I said that these reactions are not helpful to me, or the person who posted it.

I don't know what their confusion is, and if there is something that the poster feels that I did incorrectly, or could be improved upon, a "face" does absolutely nothing to help with that issue.

I always appreciate input during a WIP thread, because there is plenty that I do not know, and very often, suggestions from the readers can help me catch things that have either been done incorrectly, or things that could be added to enhance the project.

A confused emoticon does nothing to help me correct something, and it's not helpful to the poster if they find something questionable.

I will be turning off the notification feature, so in the future, if you have a question or something legitimate to add, please just do so.

Steve

Hi Steve, your builds are always inspiring and very well thought out. The detail you add is often over the top in my opinion, and I mean that in the most complimentary way. As far as I have seen, you seem to really enjoy and feed off the comments and suggestions from people following your builds. It’s quite fun how you take an idea and run with it. Seems odd to me that someone following would “secretly” send that confused emogie. Don’t blame you at all for your decision sir, keep up the excellent work. Oh… as far as suggestions go, still want to see a few 8 tracks bouncing around the interior. 
Cheers, Steve

50 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Hi Steve, your builds are always inspiring and very well thought out. The detail you add is often over the top in my opinion, and I mean that in the most complimentary way. As far as I have seen, you seem to really enjoy and feed off the comments and suggestions from people following your builds. It’s quite fun how you take an idea and run with it. Seems odd to me that someone following would “secretly” send that confused emogie. Don’t blame you at all for your decision sir, keep up the excellent work. Oh… as far as suggestions go, still want to see a few 8 tracks bouncing around the interior. 
Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve!

I still have some time to make a decision about some 8 track tapes, or as I thought about a while back, I might see if I can come up with a tape case to throw in the back seat. ^_^

Yeah, I'm pretty much over the whole emoji thing.

If people want to use them on my posts, more power to them, but from now on, I'm ignoring them until the mods start identifying the people who are using them, otherwise, short of a simple "like" they really don't have any value.

I sent a message to one of the mods today to make the suggestion that they begin identifying the posters.

That's the only solution to adding any validity to them.

Otherwise, they're nothing more than an opportunity for some to try to make waves.

Like I told Dave in my message today, can you imagine the chaos if members were allowed to make anonymous comments? :blink:

An emoticon "IS" a comment.

Anyway, if people want to piss around with that stuff, let 'em.

I'm going back to my shop to do something productive.

Steve

• Haha 1

Really nice job rerouting the exhaust around the torsion bars , when working on my '71 Roadrunner that gave me fits !  I spent more time on that than any other part of the build , redid them several times , and still wasn't happy . Next time it will be done first instead of last ! 

6 hours ago, TooOld said:

Really nice job rerouting the exhaust around the torsion bars , when working on my '71 Roadrunner that gave me fits !  I spent more time on that than any other part of the build , redid them several times , and still wasn't happy . Next time it will be done first instead of last ! 

Yeah, I spent quite a bit of time on them yesterday, but I think I about have it now.

Just some filling and sanding and they should fit pretty close to perfect.

But you're right, clearances are really tight, so it was a lot of trial and error trying to get things to fit correctly.

Steve

14 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I mean no disrespect. but on the 1/1.

the head pipes go between the trans and torsion bars  not outside of them

I wish that I could have Bill, but sometimes you have to go with the flow and do what's possible.

With the combination of the automatic transmission pan and items like the kick down linkage and dip stick tube, there was no room to route them on the inside of the torsion bars.

It would have worked on the passenger side, but on the driver side, the exhaust manifold is positioned directly above the torsion bar due to the kick out around the starter.

That fact coupled with the clearance of the other items mentioned, made it nearly impossible to route the exhaust on the inside.

If you look at the photos that you posted above, you can see that the exhaust manifolds, on both sides, are positioned completely inside of the torsion bars.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way on this model.

So, as can sometimes be the case with 1/25th scale vs. 1:1, some "artistic license" has to be employed periodically. ;)

I'm just glad that I was able to get the exhaust connected up somehow.

Steve

I continue to enjoy your meticulous approach to your models, Steve.  I can really feel your pain on the exhaust system as I have experienced similar challenges in the past.  What I like is that your solution to the problem is elegant and completely believable.  As you said, in 1/25th, things don't always go as planned because of what I call scale tolerances that build up and against you plus the fact that the original model company undoubtedly used some artistic license as well.

Thank you for your dedication and for documenting your work for us all to enjoy.

Cheers

Alan

Excellent compensation for the exhaust routing Steve. This is a perfect example of what I call "Proportional Shift".

Because of the change in scale and the difference in materials between the model and the actual car, the exhaust pipes seem to be half again as thick as they are IRL. And the torsion bars on the model look to be at least twice the diameter of their real world counterparts. If the model torsion bars were replaced with wire of the same scale diameter and the exhaust parts were similarly represented, then a builder might be able to route everything in a prototypical manner. But even then, one would need to consider the difference in materials.  There is just no way that a 2.5mm diameter plastic rod will bend in the same way as a 2 1/2" steel tube. 

I think you came up with an excellent solution to one of the oldest scale modeler's dilemmas.

David G.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alan barton said:

I continue to enjoy your meticulous approach to your models, Steve.  I can really feel your pain on the exhaust system as I have experienced similar challenges in the past.  What I like is that your solution to the problem is elegant and completely believable.  As you said, in 1/25th, things don't always go as planned because of what I call scale tolerances that build up and against you plus the fact that the original model company undoubtedly used some artistic license as well.

Thank you for your dedication and for documenting your work for us all to enjoy.

Cheers

Alan

5 hours ago, David G. said:

Excellent compensation for the exhaust routing Steve. This is a perfect example of what I call "Proportional Shift".

Because of the change in scale and the difference in materials between the model and the actual car, the exhaust pipes seem to be half again as thick as they are IRL. And the torsion bars on the model look to be at least twice the diameter of their real world counterparts. If the model torsion bars were replaced with wire of the same scale diameter and the exhaust parts were similarly represented, then a builder might be able to route everything in a prototypical manner. But even then, one would need to consider the difference in materials.  There is just no way that a 2.5mm diameter plastic rod will bend in the same way as a 2 1/2" steel tube. 

I think you came up with an excellent solution to one of the oldest scale modeler's dilemmas.

David G.

Thanks guys.

I think that the biggest issue in this circumstance was that the engines in the '68 Charger kit gave you 2 options.

The 440, or the Hemi.

But in the case of the Hemi, the kit was designed to be used with the headers provided in the kit.

While I used a large majority of the parts for the Hemi from the kit, the exhaust manifolds had to be taken from another kit.

Well, any time you start using parts from another kit, you're upsetting the apple cart, and there's never any guarantee that things are going to fit as they should going forward from there.

Anyway, I'm going to take a second look at this situation and see if there is anything that I might have missed on the first run that would allow a correction, but I'm pretty certain that I'm stuck.

I'm always willing to take another shot, and I want Bill to know that I absolutely value all input during the course of a build.

Steve

13 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

As far as you can determine - having the kit at your disposal vs. us viewing photos - would the Charger's Hemi's headers fit , or are they going to interfere with the kick-down linkage and-or dipstick-filler tube ?

I didn't want to use the headers in any case, because I wanted it to be stock.

I decided to sit down for a few minutes and take another look at the exhaust, and all that I can say is that I guess sometimes a fresh perspective can make the difference.

I'm not sure how, but somehow I managed to find just enough clearance to re-route the exhaust....for the third time!

I don't know, but apparently sometimes a person gets a preconceived notion of how something is going to work, or not going to work, and the blinders go on. :rolleyes:

It might of had something to do with the fact that on the first attempt, I began working from the exhaust pipe towards the manifold and bending the rod from that perspective.

It just didn't seem to be working.

This time, I started from the manifold and worked back.

Regardless, I think I have it!

Just a little more refining, filling and sanding and it should look a little less like a bowl of spaghetti. :D

image.jpeg.160f007a1e5e048a3a8c41a377e50d7a.jpeg

image.jpeg.0e6deb41e238b7dbf2fe4f999916defd.jpeg

Steve

• Xingu locked this topic