Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

6 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

I hated 8 tracks as the players always ate the tapes

They are pretty prehistoric by today’s standards, but they were the coolest thing going back in the day. 
How many of us older guys “didn’t “ have a couple of cases of 8-tracks in the back seat at some point? 😁

Steve

7 hours ago, krassandbernie said:

Another thing I had mentioned to Steve regarding the headrests was that anyone who is utilizing this interior conversion package is already going to have to source the Revell '68-'69 Charger kits for the donor parts (chassis/drive line, etc.) anyway............and would already have the headrests that come in kit. These headrests look pretty good to my eye; so there was no need to waste the time and money molding them and add to the cost of the conversion package on top of that.

And I just want to add that the Charger chassis is not a drop in chassis swap. The wheel base of the Charger kit is slightly longer than the Coronet, so some minor adjustments are necessary.

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

They are pretty prehistoric by today’s standards, but they were the coolest thing going back in the day. 
How many of us older guys “didn’t “ have a couple of cases of 8-tracks in the back seat at some point? 😁

Steve

I had an 8 track tape player in my first car and I put it in when I was a teen and i never had a problem wit mine. Las 8 trades I had was John Cougar and Queen’s The Game..

23 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

I used them in a boat too.

Another item to work out was the steering wheel.

My original thought was to do the optional wooden "sports wheel", but after giving some thought, I decided that this car, with the buddy seat and the automatic on the column, would have been just as likely to have the standard steering wheel, so I went to work trying to replicate it.

I started with the steering wheel from the original MPC Coronet kit, ground off the center cap and ground out a section of each spoke.

Then I cut the horn button section from some sheet styrene and worked it to shape, followed by configuring a center cap.

It appears that it will be relatively close once I add a horn ring.

image.jpeg.7dcfdbc97ba009ed9a01f33dc69f4f37.jpeg

image.jpeg.1ee314f97b8b8a7099140f661d88c754.jpeg

image.jpeg.6048c067d79f774f04e2736b22585e2d.jpeg

image.jpeg.6f1a505798c130d83e1974c22e6e5050.jpeg

image.jpeg.fccecbe621cd40209655a0106f683af9.jpeg

The next task promises to be a fun one.

I need to scratch build a steering column with the automatic transmission lever and indicator.

I'm likely going to add a column mounted tach as well.

Steve

10 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

How about the column from the AMT 1971 Charger  ? Just clip-off  the ignition switch .

Unfortunately, I don’t have a ‘71 Charger to raid. 
I’ll probably just make one.

I enjoy that kind of thing anyway. 😊

I’ve already gone back to the steering wheel.

After comparing it more closely to the real thing, the spokes are too tapered and need straightening and the center cap needs a little down sizing. 😏

Steve

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

After comparing it more closely to the real thing, the spokes are too tapered and need straightening and the center cap needs a little down sizing.

I think --judging by the photos-- that it looks great so far . Maybe carve the horn ring and affix it before any trimming and massaging of the centre and spokes ? 

I'm late to the show on this one, but I'm glad to have found it.

I always enjoy following your work, I find it entertaining and informative and I'm glad you take the time to share it with us.

David G.

19 hours ago, TooOld said:

Great job so far with the steering wheel and I'm sure you won't quit until it's how you want it .  I usually don't see things like that until after I take photos .

Same here.

Sometimes I get deep into working on something and don't take a look at my reference photos.

Once I view them together, I realize that I need to do some more work. :P

I think that I now have the steering wheel a little closer to what I envisioned.

I wanted to keep these parts separate so that I could do the steering wheel itself black, the horn buttons chrome with some Alclad, and then the center cap black again.

It was more work this way, but it'll save me from having to try to paint or foil the silver portions after painting.

I'll just have to fashion a horn ring out of wire to add at final assembly.

image.jpeg.04164304757bf4208a236e17f49ae454.jpeg

image.jpeg.e86f3c6108e4b36ac9106ac4a3bf0eac.jpeg

image.jpeg.bb403b15bac8adc2aaf94b892fb213d3.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Got the steering wheel about where I want it, so now it's time to scratch build a steering column.

It's probably not easy to see in the photos, but the window in the gear selector is a piece of clear plastic from a vent window wrapped in a piece of thin plastic strip.

The selector window is a separate part so that I can add it after paint.

image.jpeg.8e452ddd962e6981fa8f803779b81503.jpeg

image.jpeg.8200e9ffb6a7292e33877ad8dd6993d6.jpeg

image.jpeg.2f2f7692156895e09f396c3d525cc332.jpeg

Steve

7 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Really !?!? That's awesome !! :D

Thanks Bob!

I think that I have all of the steering column components finished and ready to paint.

I kind of wish that I was doing them in a color other than black.

They would stand out better. -_-

image.jpeg.cd1cec94d832b32b7e5829074dafb0a3.jpeg

image.jpeg.7fc91fe049d5233575be152390671146.jpeg

image.jpeg.ecd387fee6c63677648be312da0a2529.jpeg

Steve

On 7/8/2021 at 1:54 PM, Bucky said:

Beautiful! Tell me.... did a '68 Coronet have a tilt wheel option? I believe you could carve out something like that, too! LoL

The only Mopar from this era that got a tilt wheel was the Imperial line, and they were even avail as tilt / telescopic

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't had much time to spend in the shop lately, but I think I've finally finished up all of the interior parts, which means that the interior should be ready for paint!! :o

The last parts to scratch build were the gas, brake and emergency brake pedals and the brake release handle.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Xingu locked this topic